Transfering CVS file from 788 to iPad

Diego Sanchez

Hi all

I know many of you use Movieslate as your sound report creator. I'm looking into it, but i like the option of using Cl-wifi to control and input metadata directly into the 788t and then exporting the CVS file for Movieslate to create the report.

How are you guys doing this on location? The help menu of MS talks only about the option of emailing the file back and forth. Firstly that seems silly because what if I don't have internet on location?

And assuming i'll have internet, how do i get the CVS file out of the 788t? If i have to use a computer for that, i rather use WaveAgent.

Any ideas, solutions, apps?

I guess all this will be solved with Ambient's Tonemaister app, but that is a couple of months away... hopefully.

Thanks

Hey Diego,

I use the CL-WIFI app for all of my notes and other metadata delivery. All I do is print the report to the filesystem at the end of the day. That way, I can have a copy in my files (the easiest method of record-keeping for me) and when I hand off my dailies to post (mostly via CF, I keep my copy on the internal SSD), they have the same in a discrete CSV file, without having to voodoo out the metadata using WaveAgent on their time. I have received good feedback about the usefulness of this approach from several post teams, and I find it to be the most efficient and flexible method in my workflow.

I use a device called the iUSBPort. It creates an adhock wireless network that connects to my ipad. You connect a usb CF card reader to the device then download the csv to ipad which I open/ import into Movieslate app. Generates wonderful reports which I email to production at the end of the day.. I purchased the iUSBPort on Amazon for around 85 dollars..

•  

How about an app that converts CVS files to Rite Aid, Duane Reade or Walgreen format in a batch?

Maybe you need a doctor to write that script

;D

• Funny, I guess most of us dyslexic people missed that typo. CSV stands for Comma Separated Values. 
  •  
  • The VooDoo comes about because Apple tries their hardest to keep you from putting anything on the IOS devices from the outside world without charging somebody 30%.   Android is a lot friendlier with direct file  transfers over USB.
  • Does the Movie Slate App run on Android?    It would seem to be a better choice since now Android is the most popular portable device OS and doesn't force you to run every thing through iTunes.

"Does the Movie Slate App run on Android?    It would seem to be a better choice since now Android is the most popular portable device OS and doesn't force you to run every thing through iTunes."

No, MovieSlate does not run on Android. You'll have to ask Cliff Joyce why that is. I believe the reason is that although Android is the most "popular" portable device OS, the iPad is the most popular device, certainly that is the case in our industry. I have yet to see anyone in any department use any tablet or pad device other than the iPad.

•  

• Funny, I guess most of us dyslexic people missed that typo. CSV stands for Comma Separated Values. 
  •  
  • The VooDoo comes about because Apple tries their hardest to keep you from putting anything on the IOS devices from the outside world without charging somebody 30%.   Android is a lot friendlier with direct file  transfers over USB.
  • Does the Movie Slate App run on Android?    It would seem to be a better choice since now Android is the most popular portable device OS and doesn't force you to run every thing through iTunes.

Sorry--still not seeing any voodoo.  I use both Macs and PCs all day every day, WA runs on both.  I wish MovieSlate ran on PC+android too but I concede that they have to watch where they put their recources.  Mac/ i-devices seem to have the most market share on the set--I usually have the only PC type computer in view besides those belonging to corpo clients (that are owned by their companies…).  There  are lots of non-iPhone phones, but hardly any non-iPad tablets.

philp

Sorry--still not seeing any voodoo.  I use both Macs and PCs all day every day, WA runs on both.  I wish MovieSlate ran on PC+android too but I concede that they have to watch where they put their recources.  Mac/ i-devices seem to have the most market share on the set--I usually have the only PC type computer in view besides those belonging to corpo clients (that are owned by their companies…).  There  are lots of non-iPhone phones, but hardly any non-iPad tablets.

philp

This is a classic negative feedback loop.  You see more iPads on the set because manufacturers fail to release software used in our industry on anything other than iOS.  It stagnates the market and perpetuates the more expensive and not the best platform for the best utility of the softwarre..

Thanks to Apple's walled garden it dosen't play well with others and forces you to use only thier hardware and software.

Apple used to have the monopoy on Tablet sales but that is changing fast.  Look at the numbers from Gartner group on the last 2 years

Apple had a small increase (less than 20% while Android went up by almost 300% and Microsoft almost quadrupled. Android tablet sales are now almost double that of iOS. 

post-230-0-36283600-1399437805_thumb.png