Lectro UCR211/UM200c issue

Travis Williamson

Hi All,

First time poster long time reader. I have just bought my first Lectros- used 211/200c, three sets. I did a search of the forum, but couldn't quite find the issue I'm having. Search functionality was good though :)

Here's what I'm doing, and the issue I'm having- hopefully someone can help me diagnose the problem.

211/200c w/ Countryman B3 (hot mic, extra crisp cap) into SD664. There's a noise/hiss which occurrs in unison with the syllables of dialogue/all transient sounds. The noise almost seems to 'gate', in the sense that it will only be audible with the passing of dialogue/transients. Very high end hiss/noise. I had this problem years ago in film school with some cheap Sony wireless, it was impossible to EQ out, it seemed as though the more top end you roll off, you just hear the noise in the middle of the spectrum.

The level of the noise is not above the dialogue, it's well and truly 'back there' in the mix, but it's obviously there.

The only thread I found which came close to this symptom was one regarding a compander issue where the entire program content was 'gating'... however this is not the case for me, it's simply the noise which gates in and out.

It happens with all three Rx/Tx sets. I have only two Countryman B3s, and it's possible that one of the mics is less noiser than the other, but only slightly.

Could it be an issue with Mic wiring? Or are my Lectros in need of a service? I don't think it's a gain structure issue, but will be very happily proved wrong.

I've also switched out my leads running from Rx to 664, no change. Batteries are new and full 9V Duracell Procell (non rechargable). I am in Australia, the units came to me from Singapore, and are not the AU models.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Cheers to all, and apologies to anyone who finds this topic has already been covered here.

Travis Williamson

How are the B6s wired?  Did they come with the wireless sets?  I had a similar thing happen with a B6 that was wired for my 211s that I tried to use on a 411 transmitter.  If the wiring isn't correct you can get noise issues.  Visit the Lectro website and look for the wiring varieties and what models use what.  I'm sure someone else on here can be more helpful with specifics but I'm guessing the mics are not wired correctly for your systems. 

And what Johnny just posted.  Make sure you're getting plenty of modulation on the transmitter.  The Lectro website is also great for manuals so if you're not sure how to maximize the operation you'll find that info there too.

Good luck! 

B3s :) I opened up the TA5 (basically just unscrewed the black plastic) but can't see where the wires are going because it's all held in real solid in there. I don't know how they're wired, I know next to nothing about wiring- it's definitely next thing on the list to learn thats for sure!

Someone on the Freelance Mixer group on FB suggested a compander issue... but with ALL THREE sets, I'm a little skeptical. The guy I bought from seems like a good dude, and says he tested the B3s with these units and all worked, but he may have tested quickly and not heard the noise. I don't think he regularly used the B3s with these units, so yeah he might not have known there was a problem.

I sent an email to Lectro, but was hoping resident genius Larry F would find this post and make some suggestions.

Regardling level on the Tx, I'm hitting -20 and the occasional clip red if I really give my voice some volume. So I don't think I have a low level on the Tx. The Mics I'm using are the 'hot' B3s too, so I feel pretty confident I'm not running it low. It's not your normal noise floor either- noise floors are constant, this follows the rhythm of dialogue/transients etc.

Will definitely give the manual a look see when I get home. I don't think it's a gain stage issue because all three sets were in use prior to me buying them, and the same issue happens with all three. Been in touch with the previous owner and it seems like the settings remain the same as he left them, and they were in good working order then. Will be happily proved wrong though. Thanks to all who have replied- if reading the manual doesn't solve the problem I'll post a short clip of the sound for further discussion.

Plug in a different lav such as a Sanken and see if you still have the problem.  If it goes away with the different lav then you know that the problem is not in the Lectros. 

And if it doesn't go away then the B6's are innocent.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Well, I only have two B3 Lavs, and nothing else. So trying another mic isn't possible for another week or so til a friend gets back from Sydney and can bring some sankens around. In the mean time, here is a test recording for you to hear the problem. I don't think it's gain stages. 

Please take a moment to listen to this short test recording and pass on your thoughts.

https://soundcloud.com/travis_williamson/test/s-575bs

Thanks to everybody who has replied so far.

Travis

Ok guys, thanks for all the advice. I did have a read of the manual and play with the gain settings. Tx is now CRANKED, and sounding better. Here's a link to another test https://soundcloud.com/travis_williamson/test2 if anyone can be bothered, and below are how everything is set now. The problem of the compander still persists, slightly, espeically when I drop the files into Logic and dial in a compressor, obviously the noise is more audible. Curious to know whether you guys think this is about normal, or if I should send them to Lectro to get serviced/diagnosed? (hoping Larry F has some wisdom to drop here).

Second test with improved gain stages.

a) B3 (flat cap) >> 200c Tx @ almost full gain >> 211 Rx @ -09 dBu >> 664 LINE LEVEL (Course gain @ 2 o'clock, fader @ 2 o'clock - reads about 8dBu on the 664)

B) B3 (extra crisp cap) >> 200c Tx @ almost full gain >> 211 Rx @ - 12 dBu >> 664 LINE LEVEL(Course gain @ 3 o'clock fader @ 1 o'clock, reads around 8 dBu on the 664)

Thanks for all your help- I admit I was wrong in saying I didn't think it was a gain stage issue... things have improved, but they could still be better.

Peace,

Travis