Production Sound Mixer Mark Ulano Talks Tech

Richard Ragon

Quoting from the article:

There’s a lot of hardware involved, but what we do is really about the filmmaking. We need to know what we’re about in terms of the storytelling of the director, where he’s coming from, what he’s trying to do with the project, what he sees as being important, and creating a seamless fabric of recording that keeps you inside the story along with the images when it’s put together as a film. We have an obligation to entertain. The camera guy is the lead guitar, the director’s the bandleader, and I’m the drummer. The drummer’s invisible until there’s no beat.

Well said, I think.

Best to all,

Jim

Hey Jim, I agree that quote hits the old nail on it's head. Mark is a smart guy. Like Jeff and others, they understand film making. They work well with others. One only gets good by doing it and that takes time. Always more to learn as you polish what you know. The interview was well edited/written. For what its worth, I play the drums and at time even keep the beat.

CrewC