wireless (not cabled) headphones IFB

Matthias Richter

there are some Directors they tend to smash my IFB Sennheiser receivers to the ground on a regular basis - not on purpose though.

I was thinking of feeding the output of their IFB-receiver into another system and then feeding there wireless headsets (no cables at all).

Bluetooth adds some delay to the pic - so I guess it´s not an option.

There are those bulky UHF TV headphones. 12V would be nice ... Any other ideas? The TX would life on video village so it doesn´t need long range.

I once also thought about wireless headphones as an option for video village. After researching them, I never could find a model that I felt could stand up to the wear and tear that they would endure. I use Comteks for video village, and they have held up very well.

MR: " there are some Directors they tend to smash my IFB Sennheiser receivers to the ground on a regular basis - not on purpose though. "

L&D = production pays for them

Egy személyes eszköz használja a számítógép internetes program,
meg tudod mondani hogy melyiket?

Years ago, I had a Comtek TX modified to transmit at 87.5 on the FM band.  Then I bought a whole slew of Sony sport radios from the Sony store (they were refurbs and inexpensive!)  The digital tuner starts at 87.5 and there is usually nothing down there at all.  Everyone loved them because they sounded so much better than the old Comteks, the agency people could pretend they were working and really listen to the radio, and most of them had built in stopwatches since they were ruggedly designed for runners.  And since they were all bright yellow, they were easy to find at the end of the day.  I could replace them for $25 when needed.  I had hand held models, arm band models, and even a couple of headphone only RX for certain directors and camera ops.  After 20 years, more than 20 still work fine out of the original 25 units.

I had also picked up a small 1 Watt FM TX that was used by a missionary group.  It worked great in big spread out locations, but rarely had a problem with range with the Comtek TX.

Never heard a peep from the FCC

MS: " bought a whole slew of Sony sport radios "

I was buying and using Sony portable FM radios from Japan before I got to Comteks...

The Japanese FM band actually begins below 88 MHz.

私の個人的なコンピュータデバイスのいずれかからのインターネットプログラムを使用して送信された、どの物ができますか?

I ordered the TX from a company in VA, I think the name was Systems Wireless, and told them what I wanted and I think they had Comtek deliver it that way.  They modified to transmit at 87.5 FM and also did something so that you would get two mono channels over a stereo receiver.  Now, this was about 20 years ago and it has worked just fine ever since. 

I did pick up a stronger TX from a friend that required AC and a real loaded antenna that I used for locations where we were really spread out.  It is a regular low power FM TX, we had to tell them when we ordered it that it was for export and used in our mission work.  But I think there are all sorts of TX available on Ebay for low power applications.

Sony had a store for a while nearby that sold re-furbs RX for runners and sports, all bright yellow, and they were 15-20 USD so I stocked up on them whenever they got a load in or I needed more for a job.  They sounded way better than the old Comteks and they were disposable.  Just charged the clients for L&D and bought new ones.  Still have 20 working ones in my kit.

I did the FM radio thing for a few years a long while back.  The transmission was not reliable enough at all in a city, and the TX was not xtal locked onto its freq so it would drift.  The pocket radios did sound better than Comteks but they would get out of tune as well.  Too much extra work, when Comteks tend to just work, so backs to Comteks I went.

philp

the FM transmission might be a good idea for my scenario. There is one particular director that really would like to have just headphones and no cables at all.

Just ordered a headphone with built in FM radio and a FM-TX that one can plug into any mp3 player etc. Range is 5m according to specs which should be fine for the distance from video-monitor to director.

It´s just a test drive at the moment. Will see how it works ...

Thanks everyone for your ideas and reports!

I use these LowePro Slider 20s to protect my Sennheiser IEMs that I hand out. I too got fed up listening to them crashing to the floor while listening to the boom on set.

They fit perfectly and have a much more substantial belt clip.

post-3136-0-70494300-1386687062.jpg

Quick question. Ive been investigating replacing my old comteks with a senny IEM system. My Q is : can you use a belt pack trx for these? Or do you have to buy the lager trx unit for sale with then on ebay?

Cheers, jeremy

I did the FM radio thing for a few years a long while back. The transmission was not reliable enough at all in a city, and the TX was not xtal locked onto its freq so it would drift. The pocket radios did sound better than Comteks but they would get out of tune as well. Too much extra work, when Comteks tend to just work, so backs to Comteks I went.

philp

Good to know, thanks Philip : )

~tt

My little Sony Sport radios were digital tuning and never had an issue with reception as long as they were within 25 or so meters of the Comtek TX.  My biggest problem is that agency people would play with them and listen to ball games and music, and then when we were rolling came over to ask me what channel it was supposed to be --preset 1 of course--  87.5. 

I had always worried about getting bleed over from the TV channel at the edge of the band, but luckily, it was never an issue.  Your results may vary.  Second biggest problem, Agency folks would take them home because they liked them, so I had to charge the client 40 or 50 USD and then bought two more.