Headphone output to Senn G3 Tx camera hop

Vivid Lizard

I have an SD 3-output portable headphone amp and was mulling over the idea of using it in my bag as an added distribution system to send signal to a camera hop (Senn G3 100 Tx) and IFB Tx (Lectro UM400A), etc., via attenuator cables.  My initial test using the Sennheiser seemed to sound fine using a -25db attenuator cable.

Has anyone here ever used a headphone signal this way?  What are the pitfalls, if any?

I like the idea of having the 3 additional, seperate and isolated output signals the SD amp provides that I can control so easily, but I'm not so familiar with the practical differences between line and headphone signal.

Thank you,

Marc Hlavaty

Headphone amplified signals are higher level than line, but might work okay.

Your primary issues would be that headphone impedance might be different than your transmitter impedance, so there could be a mismatch. The audio quality will be limited by the quality of the components in the amp. Your signals will be unbalanced, and depending on the shielding of the device and cables involved, RF interference might be an issue. These are all possibilities, but I'd guess it will work just fine. Try it and find out.

Also, non-locking connectors and volume knobs that might be prone to bumping could bite you, especially with a signal you won't be listening to. You could easily screw up your gain staging and not know it.