QRX200 Output Noisy

George Tarrant

So I've just set up my spanky new QRX200 receiver and both outputs seem very noisy. By that I mean there is a very high pitched whine and both outputs are quite hissy. This noise is there with or without the associated transmitters being on ( a new 742 plug on and a new TRXLA2.6 ) It's even there with antennas connected or disconnected. I'm pretty sure I've got the QRX set up correctly so I'm quite baffled. This whine can be heard with the transmitters on or off....and with a mic plugged in to the LA (Sanken COS 11 or B6 ) or into the 742 plug on with a Sanken CS3E or Schoeps .

The signal chain is rx output to my Audio Developments AD 149 mixer and then direct out from mixer to Fusion 12 inputs 9 and 10 (digital in). Anyone have any ideas??

"The signal chain is rx output to my Audio Developments AD 149 mixer and then direct out from mixer to Fusion 12 inputs 9 and 10 (digital in)"

To me that is a confusing statement. To my knowledge I don't see where you can go out digitally from the 149, but then you say digital in. Zaxcom products seem to be made with a total sound package idea. Adding a 149 just for kicks in there instead of going straight AES from your 200 to your Fusion is hard to understand. Using my Nomad and going in digitally I've had to kick myself to go to back to listening to the boom sometimes they sound soo good. Why not add one of Zaxcom desk mixers?

"Adding a 149 just for kicks in there instead of going straight AES from your 200 to your Fusion is hard to understand... Why not add one of Zaxcom desk mixers?

I would say that it's pretty safe to assume that many, if not most, narrative mixers prefer a more traditional signal flow (sources feed mixer, mixer feeds recorder).

At present time, the only offerings by zaxcom are control surfaces for their recorders. Not everyone's cup of tea.

The Fusion 12 has inputs 9 thru 12 available as line inputs but routes them to digital input 1 thru 4. I've used plenty of other stuff into these inputs with no issues whatsoever. As for the control surface and going AES...like Wyatt said is not my cup of tea and it's not just there for "kicks Tim. I've had this desk for 15 years and it performs flawlessly....why would I spend to get something I don't want or need

Matthias..the only option is line or AES.

I'll give that a try Greg. I have found those outputs are a bit colder but not usually a huge issue. I'm just about to try making up another power cable for the unit...the other one tested fine but it seems like that is the only thing left the hasn't been eliminated..

Once again Senator thanks for the obvious...you really have a knack for that. It seems that you need to see your avatar on as many topics as possible on the home page every day...perhaps you should start your own forum for useless comments.

Finally got to the bottom of it. Made up a new power cable to the QRX which seemed to get rid of the high pitched whine. The receiver output still seemed a bit noisy...compared to my Venue but after much experimentation we upped the gain on the 742 and the LA and backed off the gain on the channel strip and voila...things seemed to match up nicely. My first gain level on the 742 was 20 with a Sanken CS3e...and when we upped it to 30 and backed off the channel gain it sounded great. Same with the LA body pack tx. The levels we started at...20 on each seemed ok...nice modulation etc. but my channel strip was at about noon position which has always been fine with other stuff. When we increased Tx gain levels to 30 the mixer strip is now at about 9 oclock,and everything sounds great. I guess the whole neverclip thing likes those tx gains a bit hotter. Soft dialogue sounded good and some really loud "barks" all seemed to hold and still sounded great with the gain set at 30.

Had an issue with the 742 creating some RF interference with the CS3E when mounted by the mic instead of the bottom of the boompole but resolved that by changing from Mono US to Mono RX in the extended menu on the 742

Once we got to this point we recorded some tests and then dumped it into pro tools and were really impressed with both Tx units. We A/B'd the Sanken with the 742 and a hard line Sanken and could not tell the difference. Very impressive.

Now I'm wondering what other folks are using as a ballpark gain setting on the 742 with a Sanken CS3e for "normal dialogue levels and for that matter on the TRXLA2 ??

Bottom line...all is well and thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Greg...on my Fusion 12 Inputs 9 - 12 appear to be about 3 1/2 db lower than mix track.

Greg,

The first cable I had when I got my Fusion 12 was wired for the cam return option and was indeed very funky and caused me some brain strain. I guess it's still not ideal but I think post can live with 3 or 4 db drop from mix track. It certainly could become an issue on a whisper type scene but should be fine for most " normal dialogue. " I had a call from post last year on my series and they felt the 9-12 iso's were a bit low on a couple of scenes. When I played back at my end the mix tracks were okay because I was pushing the fader.(..which of course did nothing to the direct out iso's.) instead of upping my mixer trim pot. Lesson learned!

Use the -20dB tone from your RX900s to line up the receivers with your mixer and Fusion. And THEN see what gain you need at your TRXs. Worked for me (RX900s into Cooper into Fusion12).

This is how I set mine up, however my TRX LA1 gains are no where near 30... mostly around 19-24.  Noise floor seems ok (no where as quiet as cabled, but I have to engage my 2k notch on all my Tx's to cut out a known noise.

After more messing around I've found the LA2 "normal" level is around 20 ish and the 742 around 30 ish and yes the tone line up is the way to go. Got the newest firmware installed today on QRX & 742 and LA2 and the range improved and the RF interference problem with the Sanken CS3E is completley gone...mounted at the mic end of the pole.

• 2 weeks later...