Sound Devices

Their users have been asking about this since the machine was first announced.  Since they haven't added this feature, and have instead come out with newer products, I conclude that it turned out to be harder than they originally thought given the design they already have--they'd have done it if they could.  They are still not saying when their gear will be able to do this.  Most of the SD recorder users I know don't care a whole lot about this, and have been barking more about things they want for more doco/bag-rig set ups (like the recent RF emission threads on RAMPS).

Philip Perkins

I traded a couple of emails with Jon Tatooles regarding this issue just last week.  He is working on the code at present, and hopes to have it soon.  I do agree that it is probably harder than originally thought.  I don't understand why is has become such a back-burner item, not unlike the DVD playback on the DEVA.  At the end of the day, we've got to turn in something...and know what's on it.  Currently CF is not an accepted media format for delivery where I live and work.

PWP

Phillip,

Yea I'm beyond frustrated with this. They make great products ( Sound Devices ). But for you and I and most others on this forum , film break can be heated, relying on the loader for the break time ( BULLSHIT btw ). When you have to hand off you have to do it then period.

Get it going SD !

Larry

• 9 months later...

I don`t know why the SD engeneers don`t make one wonderfull "all-in-one"" machine (like Aaton Cantar X), because they have all what they need.

They have a wonderfull recorder with amaizing mixer.

If can make one recoder with 6 or 8 inputs I`m shure it will be the next "Nagra" .

Cantar X is a wonderfull device but it`s too expensive and too complicate , isn`t so intuitive like SD 744.

Deva hasn`t so good preamp and limiters are terible.

So if SD can produce ( and they have the technology) , a recorder whith mixer bord , and 6 or 8 chanels, under 8000$ , they blow the market.

Hope so this year they think about it...

Dragos

Here is the text from the press release on their site available here: http://www.sonosax.com/SONOSAX%20NEWS%20satis.pdf

The year 2006 has been marked by the huge success of the SONOSAX SX-ST, which imposes itself as

the new compact mixing console standard. Its great qualities make it the probably best analog/digital

mixing console ever made.

The coming out of the MINR82 is being a full success, as much by its audio performance, miniature

size and high reliability. It actually is the smallest professional recorder in the world. Less than 450

grams with batteries and up to 8 tracks, it fits in a pocket!

We now are happy to present you our 2 new products, being developed.

SONOSAX SX-SL62 and SONOSAX SX-SL62R

The SL62 will be a new compact model of the well known SX-S. The dimensions will be 300mm wide,

320 mm depth and 60 mm high. The weight with batteries will be about 5 kg.

Each of the 6 inputs will include:

• Gain control with a switch and a pot

• DYN/48V switch

• Phase inversion switch

• Low cut filter

• Routing on 4 groups with PAN pot

• 2 auxiliaries

• OVD limiter and detection

• 100 mm linear potentiometer

• PFL command

The master module will include

• Rotative potentiometers for groups 1 to 4 and AUX 1 and 2

• Vu-Meters Led’s on each output

• 1 complete monitoring section with moving coil meter

• 1 complete communication section

• Talkback microphone

• Oscillator

• Stereo return

INTEGRATED RECORDER IN OPTION

Price: about Euros 9’000.—and Euros 11’900.—with 8 channels recorder

Delay: Pre series during summer 2007, deliveries during autumn 2007

SONOSAX SX62 and SONOSAX SX62R

This ENG mixer will take back the characteristics of the SX42, with 2 supplementary inputs.

INTEGRATED RECORDER IN OPTION

Price: about Euros 4’300.- and Euros 7’200.- with 8 channels recorder

Delay: pre series during autumn 2007, deliveries during winter 2007

Thank you very much for link, I foud it.

But unfortunately I found price list too, with actual proctucts. Auch!!!

I knew Sonosax it`s  expensive but not so far.

SX-ST mixer series with 8 chanels cost over 20,000 $ !!! Almost double than CS 208????

Maybe for this reason isn`t so popular on market.

I doubt they can make from a 20,000$ mixer and 6.000$  recorder (MINIR 82) a device under 10000$ ... And if is over 10,000 I prefer Cantar because are older and better.

If they can produce uder 10000 , whith all characteristics of SX-ST for shure will break the market.

I`ll wait and hope so Sound Devices , and not only, will chase their example.

Because producers of good mixers cand put an A/D convertor and HardDisk recorder inside of case , and obtain a compact  device . All of us will be happy with that.