sony ecm-77 or tram tr50 with audio ltd 2020

resonate

Hello,

I am getting two sets of audio ltd 2020 radio systems and have a choice of either sony or a tram mic. What would you say about them and which is a better value you think? I already have two micron sets with dpa 4060 lavs and so i am used more to their form factor. Which one sounds better with audio ltd systems in your opinion? Thanks,

Bartosz

Thanks Eric! i'm leaning towards sony's also......how would you compare sony ecm 77 to dpa 4060?

I don't have any experience with the DPA lavs so I can't comment. You can't go wrong with the Sonys. Have you listened to the Sanken COS 11, a very nice lav. Another lav that I use and like a lot is the Sennheiser MKE2.

Eric

Jon, that's what i think too. But they come with the set, and the tram does not have any accessories, so i prefer sonys as i have a way to mount them with dpa accesories _i think_. Also, I don't have much experience with side adress mics at this point, so i figured out i would probably buy OST 801/802 at a later point.

res: " What would you say about them and which is a better value you think? "

who cares what  we say, or think... it is your decision.

Apparently the OP cares what information others can offer. It's done every day when trying to choose between many options. You on the other hand once again add nothing but noise. I don't know what your problem is Senator but it's time that you seek help to control it or STFU.

Eric

res: " What would you say about them and which is a better value you think? "

who cares what  we say, or think... it is your decision.

Jon, that's what i think too. But they come with the set, and the tram does not have any accessories, so i prefer sonys as i have a way to mount them with dpa accesories _i think_. Also, I don't have much experience with side adress mics at this point, so i figured out i would probably buy OST 801/802 at a later point.

Senator, I _do_ value your honesty and promotion of individual thinking process and taking responsibility for your actions. Also, I think that variety is good. I outlined my reasoning just above your post. It is sony's for me. Case closed.

I also want to say, that i love this place and the support of all the sound people here. I think it's safe to say that while we share opinions on the board,  we are all adults here.  Thank you - Eric, Jon and mr Senator.

B

res: " I outlined my reasoning just above your post.--the tram does not have any accessories, so i prefer sonys as i have a way to mount them with dpa accesories-- It is sony's for me. "

see, that is what works for you...

in general, the trams have been, and continue to be more popular for a lot of our sorts of work, but, just as you figured out for yourself, what better suits your personal situation depends on you!...

• 3 weeks later...

From a personal point of view, the ecm77s are easier to mount quickly than the trams (if you don't have to hide them) - just clip on and voila! I find the trams a bit more cumbersome to mount in a "tie clip" format. However, I think the trams are more suited to mounting under clothing than the ecm, with accessories like the vampire clips and smooth side of tram aiding against clothing rustle. Hope this helps in your decision!

From a personal point of view, the ecm77s are easier to mount quickly than the trams (if you don't have to hide them) - just clip on and voila! I find the trams a bit more cumbersome to mount in a "tie clip" format. However, I think the trams are more suited to mounting under clothing than the ecm, with accessories like the vampire clips and smooth side of tram aiding against clothing rustle. Hope this helps in your decision!

+1

and ecm77s come with a longer, harder wearing cable.

If you're used to DPAs you'll be disappointed with either choice. They're both OK, but both rather old. 

+111111

BTW - the TRAMS (i bought two new in 2012 and sold off one last year) - works very well in a rig situation - double sided tape inside of a car, and you're good to go - because it is a front-sided mic. 

you need to check if the ECM77 fits in the DPA concealer (diameter). I'd say if it is larger than a DPA mic by a mm or so, it will fit, but if it is smaller, it wont do the job for you - although you can 'bridge' the space in between the mic and the concealer in many ways... the DPA concealer is stiff, but has enough flexibility, it is not made of brittle plastic, and therefore will flex quite a bit to accommodate a mic with dia larger than what it is built for... 

my .02...

-vin

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I got the sonys and now getting an OST 802 mic to experiment with side address mic.Also getting the TL40 mics to check how they work  - i like that they are smaller than dpa's.

Vin, do you think it's worth getting a rack for the Audios? RK4, for the 2020. How does it help the range with the basic antennae? I am being tempted...

Thanks

B