Red Epic and Genlock

Herbert Verdino

Hi.

I am actually shooting with an Red Epic and I am using an Ambient ACL 204 to timecode sync it with my Cantar. We are shooting interviews, so the takes we make are 20-30 min. long.

I spoke with Ambient and they recommended me, to use Genlock, because of the long clips, we are recording.

When we start to record, everything is working well. Both, the TC and Genlock sign on the Epic screen appear in green, showing, that both is ok.

But after a while, maybe one hour or 20 min shooting, the Genlock sign jumps to red. So something must be wrong.

After a restart of the Epic, everything is fine again, for a while.

The Settings on the ACL are 1080p (I tried also 720p) 24F. Also the Epic is set to 24F and it is set to use the external TC.

Any Idea, how to fix my Problem?

Hi Herbert. FWIW, I've been on a doc with the RED EPICs and have been using my Ambient Tiny Lockit Sync Box which is just for timecode and we've been shooting long takes like you have mentioned and there have been no problems with sync. Curious as to why they (Ambient) suggested using Genlock? We've been using 23.976 as the frame rate. 

Here's the link to the discussion I started.

After struggled with several issues encountered with this camera, we found the way to see GREEN GEN sign but after half hour of shooting, the very same thing happens, the camera lost the sync signal. We abondoned using GenLock for that reason. 

But it was reported that in some situation there's some weird sync problem occured (which was shot ith another sound guy ho has a Denecke one). In a long shoot the camera seems not keeping it's speed, that it starts synced but there's sync glich in a middle of the way. Which I suppose beacuase of their internal heat problem that it's clock become unstable (my hypothesis).

Masaki

Thank you all for the replies and the links. And thank you Senator for the tip, to select the same frame rate on the cam and on the ACL :-).

I think, the reason, why Ambient suggested me to use Genlock was the unstable speed on the Red.

Yesterday I did a test run with the Epic set to 23.976 (and the ACL set to the same) and the Genlock sign on the Red kept staying green for at least one and a half houre constant recording! Could be luck also...

Curious as to why they (Ambient) suggested using Genlock?

Because, contrary to popular misunderstanding, time code does not help a camera maintain sync. Time code simply establishes what frame a camera is on at a specific point in time. With file-based recording, that information is stamped in the file's header when the camera is placed into record. (The same is true of a file-based audio recorder.)

From then on, the camera is free running and its speed is determined by its internal crystal. Over time, devices will drift from each other unless a common sync signal (genlock) is supplied to control the speed of each device and lock them frame to frame (think sprocket holes).

Time code is not a sync signal but can be used to establish sync at a given point in time, thus the confusion.

I have warned people before (especially with toy cameras like DSLRs) that merely sending timecode into the camera will not guarantee proper sync, because the camera has no reference. No reference, no sync. Genlock is a precise reference, and when it dovetails with timecode, you're golden.