Red Dragon does not sync...

Well,

Does anyone have a 100% reproducible method of connecting Tc at 23.98 or 24, from Nomad and/or ERX to any RED Dragon camera, using only those components and appropriate cabling ?

If so, please list the method.

Thank you very much

Fury

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PP:  " On most of my shoots, blowing off the sync issue as being a camera dept problem is not an option. "

that sounds (to me) like a bigger problem.

mind you, I'm not for crudely blowing it off, but I have issues about being responsible for equipment I do not select, maintain, operate, or in any other way have control over.

PP:  " On most of my shoots, blowing off the sync issue as being a camera dept problem is not an option. "

that sounds (to me) like a bigger problem.

mind you, I'm not for crudely blowing it off, but I have issues about being responsible for equipment I do not select, maintain, operate, or in any other way have control over.

Go ahead and have your issues.  I'll continue to try to help solve problems that are affecting the whole shoot (and post) if I can.   Often it is the soundies who are the most knowledgeable people on the set about the TC and sync aspects of cameras anymore, so if the AC et al need help (and will accept help) I'm there.

philp

philip: " I'll continue to try to help solve problems that are affecting the whole shoot (and post) if I can.   Often it is the soundies who are the most knowledgeable people on the set about the TC and sync aspects of cameras anymore, so if the AC et al need help (and will accept help) I'm there. "

I'm down with that,  but IMO that is not the same as " On most of my shoots, blowing off the sync issue as being a camera dept problem is not an option. "

philip: " I'll continue to try to help solve problems that are affecting the whole shoot (and post) if I can.   Often it is the soundies who are the most knowledgeable people on the set about the TC and sync aspects of cameras anymore, so if the AC et al need help (and will accept help) I'm there. "

I'm down with that,  but IMO that is not the same as " On most of my shoots, blowing off the sync issue as being a camera dept problem is not an option. "

It kind of is the same.  There are plenty of Imperial Camera Departments who don't want to speak to soundies let alone have them interact with anything on the camera, or God forbid, admit there was something important about the rig that they don't know.  But making sure there are no sync issues is a team sport (when there is cooperation) and since we all know who gets called from post first if there IS a sync issue I prefer to be proactive--it seems to work better for everyone concerned.

philp

I did a project last year with 2 Epics and ERX2TCDs. Day 01 morning everything was cool. After lunch, b-cam wouldn't take jam. I tried Zaxcom and Denecke (TS-C and two SB-3 boxes) options with multiple cables and never got it to work again. At some point I had to leave not to camera to try. They didn't have any luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I understand that fundamentally it's a red problem, but maybe the erx's worse performance has something to do with the zaxnet signal embedded in the TC. Has anyone tested the erx's without zaxnet

There is a menu item to shut off the zaxnet signal in the tc. This is factory defaulted to off so I can't imagine that is the issue that so many people are having.

Yes I have tested the ERX at 23.98 with a dragon without zaxnet on and it does not work. In fact Zaxcom have exhausted all possibilities on this matter and it's up to Red. I wrote to Red and here is their reply.

Hi Tony,

I spoke to our engineers, and they are working on the solution for this problem

They have found the issue and are solving it, that is the good news

They have to run a stability test on the firmware when its done.

this means that before you have a build solving your sync problem it will take around 3 weeks

In the meantime the best work around will be using the lock-it box or the Denecke TD5 until this is resolved

Please call me if you have any questions!

Thanks

Mr. Fury was supposed to go to Red headquarters in Irvine this week to meet with the design engineers and demonstrate the problem. I'm curious if he did so and what the result of the meeting was.

marc:" Mr. Fury was... "

That is Sgt Fury...

Thanking you Hon. Senator Mike...

Mr. Sgt. Fury?

Thanking you Marc...

Well,  Fury did go to RED, with a newly developed ERX firmware, by and from Howie and Glenn (can't say enough about their interest and efforts here), and RED stated that they did not want to do any further testing at this time, as they were close to a fix, on their end.  FWIW, The Fury Dragon (which has to go in for servicing and is therefore not reliable as a reliable test apparatus, at this point) did NOT synch at any frame rate below 29.97 (everything higher was fine), with this new firmware attempt, from ERX's TC to Dragon.  

BTW, Howie is really trying here.  Gotta luv his perseverance.  This time he had some sort of low pass filter treatment.

Stay tuned...

Thank you very much

Fury

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to pile on. On a shoot with a dragon today. Same problem with a qrx235 - 23.98 at the camera and transmitting 23.98 from the bag. had to cross jam via 29.97 at the qrx to get the tc to light up and all good now. Did a workflow test on a straight up epic on saturday and it worked perfect at 23.98 all the way through.

Ken

Yes I have tested the ERX at 23.98 with a dragon without zaxnet on and it does not work. In fact Zaxcom have exhausted all possibilities on this matter and it's up to Red. I wrote to Red and here is their reply.

Hi Tony,

I spoke to our engineers, and they are working on the solution for this problem

They have found the issue and are solving it, that is the good news

They have to run a stability test on the firmware when its done.

this means that before you have a build solving your sync problem it will take around 3 weeks

In the meantime the best work around will be using the lock-it box or the Denecke TD5 until this is resolved

Please call me if you have any questions!

Thanks

Interest choice of words.... whose sync problem is this anyway? 

• 5 months later...