Modifications on a Peli iM2750

John Ronnerblad

I have of course been inspired by Mr. Pascal here. And the boom/antenna holder itself have been discussed before but maybe not in this way.

I don't know where the mods will stop but here is the first:

Toolflex is the company that makes these products.

I cut the aluminum rail and mounted them on the side of the case. There are 4 versions of them. 15-20mm, 20-30mm, 25-35mm and 30-40mm.

The good thing is that they can easily slide off, in case of flight or other transports.

raqajehy.jpg

tasa2upy.jpg

nu5usudu.jpg

y6equnas.jpg

e4ujureb.jpg

a8uve4ah.jpg

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

Today I found these Raaco cases that fit the 2750 very good. There about 1-1,5cm left on each side. So my plan is to mount angled aluminum bars for the cases to slide on.

I don't know if I'm going to mount them directly to the case or some kind of frame.

Any of you guys have any tips?

John

putuqava.jpg

ugamenum.jpg

What if you use drawer slides, the extending ones? I am planning to do that. Also figuring it out how to attach it. There are some very strong contact cements these days, if it will go for 2 years before re gluing them it will be ok I think. If it works you don't give up the waterproof capabilities of the case

Nice! Where'd you find them? Clas Ohlson?

Unfortunately not. But more serious carpenter stores have them. Not super expensive, but still a pretty high price for a plastic box. But if I would have bought custom made aluminum or plastic drawers, I would imaging those even more expensive. The nice thing about them are that they have a lockable lid. So I really don't need slider, more like something for them to lay on when in vertical position. The boxes weight between 3-4kg with gear in them, so I think angled aluminum bars would do the trick.

It's just a question of how:)

The size of the quick fists mounting surface are 21mm wide and the Toolflex is 20mm. I cut the Toolflex, so almost only the base were left, drilled a little too small hole to match the quick fists. Since quick fists are made of rubber and Toolflex plastic I just pushed it into the plastic base. Then I pushed one of the plastic pins from the Toolflex mount through the hole and cut it from the back. So without screwing or cluing it won't move a mm. Then I noticed that the mount where kind of loose in the aluminum rail, so I took a couple of drops of epoxy on the plastic base/rail to make it just a little bit tighter. suqe9e4y.jpg

ahh genius. thanks for the detailed instructions John.

are you planning to do the wheels upgrade that Pascal has done?

i would like to to do that on my 2750 but am a bit nervous about drilling the holes to fit the wheel spike and how to secure it afterwards.

any possible tips there? :-)

Yes, I will at least change the inline wheels. Instead of the front wheels, my plan is to change that handle (closest to the ground) into a "fixed metal thing", so it will be leveled.

No tips yet. I have to think a bit before... I don't really want to drill too much either. I think it's possible to have a thinner wheel spike that fits into the standard hole, and make it thicker where the new wheel would be. If it breaks, I can easily change the spike to a thicker and try again:)

Regarding to secure them, I think there are different ways to do it. But I haven't yet decided.

I think I will fix the interior before the wheels. Because when the wheels are done the case can't lay on it's back anymore (at least not leveled)

John

• 4 weeks later...

its my turn to show off now. ;-)  (see photos!!)

thanks to Pascal and John and the fact that i have a road movie starting next week on which we have to be very light and mobile i have done myself a Peli iM2750 case.

there was no way i could afford Pascal’s custom made drawers so i used standard 40x30cm Euroboxes with latching lids. they fit perfectly into the case and are light.

i used aluminium brackets and glued them is using UHU extreme double sided tape. the tape is supposed to hold 0,8 kilos per cm. so the amount i used should hold a box weighing 70 kilos on each shelf!!! of course i dont yet know how well it will hold but each box weighs around 3-4 kilos so it should be ok.

i did a small test and tried to pry the bracket off after gluing but no go. so i am keeping my fingers crossed.

i also didnt drill and expand the hole for the wheel’s spike as Pascal has done. i used a fitting 8mm steel spike which feels like it will hold for ever. i also used different tires to fit the 8mm spike.

i made a wooden work top so i can attach cable holders etc. it adds about 1-2 kilos of weight but its worth it. i just have to figure out a headphone holder to attach to it.

i am happy. the whole things including the case cost about 380 euros. but i have lost count of the manhours involved in thinking and building the thing.

i hope it holds out for a few years.

thanks again to Pascal and John for the inspiration.

post-8064-0-31597600-1403877872_thumb.jppost-8064-0-48972200-1403877876_thumb.jppost-8064-0-16707500-1403877881_thumb.jppost-8064-0-44826400-1403877885_thumb.jp

Nice!! I have been thinking about a "shelf" as well. I did also keep the 8mm hole and put a centreless steel axle in there. I can't imaging it will ever break. I wasn't pleased with my interior carpenter boxes, so I will probably do something custom made.

And instead of having swivel wheels at the front, I moved the handle to keep it leveled. This project will be trial and error, rethink, redo until I'm satisfied.

ezy7a6ej.jpgapy5yru3.jpg