Modifications on a Peli iM2750

John Ronnerblad

Have considered removing the top and bottom latch, and I'm of the conclusion it is in the right direction to proceed, but ironically I am nervous of modifying the case.

Don't hesitate. You can safely do away with the "top and bottom" latches. You won't miss them for a second . The case that Pascal built has them removed and it doesn't affect performance.

• 7 months later...

its my turn to show off now. ;-)  (see photos!!)

thanks to Pascal and John and the fact that i have a road movie starting next week on which we have to be very light and mobile i have done myself a Peli iM2750 case.

there was no way i could afford Pascal’s custom made drawers so i used standard 40x30cm Euroboxes with latching lids. they fit perfectly into the case and are light.

i used aluminium brackets and glued them is using UHU extreme double sided tape. the tape is supposed to hold 0,8 kilos per cm. so the amount i used should hold a box weighing 70 kilos on each shelf!!! of course i dont yet know how well it will hold but each box weighs around 3-4 kilos so it should be ok.

i did a small test and tried to pry the bracket off after gluing but no go. so i am keeping my fingers crossed.

i also didnt drill and expand the hole for the wheel’s spike as Pascal has done. i used a fitting 8mm steel spike which feels like it will hold for ever. i also used different tires to fit the 8mm spike.

i made a wooden work top so i can attach cable holders etc. it adds about 1-2 kilos of weight but its worth it. i just have to figure out a headphone holder to attach to it.

i am happy. the whole things including the case cost about 380 euros. but i have lost count of the manhours involved in thinking and building the thing.

i hope it holds out for a few years.

thanks again to Pascal and John for the inspiration.

post-8064-0-31597600-1403877872_thumb.jppost-8064-0-48972200-1403877876_thumb.jppost-8064-0-16707500-1403877881_thumb.jppost-8064-0-44826400-1403877885_thumb.jp

Hi do you think you can share how you fixed your front wheels and back wheels? Even better there to buy them? I am base in Singapore and it is hard to find them. Even better if you can help me buy them and sell them to me?

Thanks!!!

• 1 month later...

I'm definitely going to do this with a addition of my custom bag shelf I'm designing. I'm wondering if anyone has used the Pelican Mobility Kit cases before? It seems like they allow you to have the case stay level when upright and still be able to swing the door open. I LOVE Pascal's case with it's removable door, but be cool to have it still stay on at times. BUT, is it just easier to do the modifications on the IM series cases?

• 5 weeks later...

Next stage completed. Drawers added. 

There were two important factors when designing the drawer system. 1 - I wanted to use tubs with locking lids as the cart lays down when packed in the car. 2- that the drawer system can be easily removed, so I could use the cart without them if required.

The skeleton for the drawers is made from aluminium which the tubs simply sit in. There is enough of a gap between the drawers that you can easily remove the lids and there is a small space at the bottom that one lid could be stored in. This in effect wastes about the space of one of the smaller tubs but makes it much easier to access gear. The skeleton is simply held in with velcro. Surprisingly secure. I have to use a paint scraper to separate the velcro to get it out. The skeleton weighs in at approx 1.8kg.

The mini runners used are sourced from a kitchen/wardrobe supplier and a pair only weigh 140 grams. They do not pull apart like the larger kitchen runners, so the assembly has to be done in a specific order. The tubs used are from a UK company called ReallyUsefulBoxes. 3x 4L and 1x 9L capacity containers. The smaller 4 litre containers perfectly fit an ERX or R1a on its side. 

D1.jpg

D2.jpg

D3.jpg

D4.jpg

Sure thing Jack. Outer tube is a 19mm steel tube, inner tube is the best fitting one I could find and the white plastic outer tube is from an electrical conduit connector with on side cut off. It is there to stop the protruding axle from damaging anything in transit. I taped the axles and and added a bolt as my original method of epoxy wasn't strong enough and I don't weld.    

Added a very rough sketch of the axle design.

axle design.jpg

Axle.jpg

Thanx Nate

I'm modifying a Pelican iM3075. It's a BIG case, but holds everything I need for choral & orchestral recording in one location. But it's damn heavy to load into the car. I've added small castors to the 'top' of the case (when upright) and that helps. But I do need to add some larger mains.

I had two SKB case custom cut. One for my Nagra VI (Anniversary model) and Nagra 7. And the other to hold the DPA 3506 stereo set, DPA 4011C Stereo set and Schoeps CCM series, plus all the needed accesories etc. These two cases fit PERFECTLY inside the pelican. BTW that slot on the right side of the Nagra case holds an iPad mini that I run VectorScope on to assist mic setup.

BTW, the grey bar near the top centre of the microphone case is the Schoeps ORTF Stereo bar. But above that (the hard to see black bar) is a 3D printed ORTF stereo bar for the DPA 4011C cardioids. Printed by Shapeways in the USA and sent to Australia within about 26 days (including design time etc). The process of design and several email exchanges to modify that design was very painless and smooth. If you need something prototyped, give them a try.

DPA 4006A Stereo set (DPA3506A), DPA 4011C Stereo set (DPA ST4011C) Schoeps 2 x CCM4Lg & CCM8Lg (Plus accessories)

DPACase-2.JPG

DPACase-1.JPG

Nagra VI (Anniversay Model)

NagraCase-1.JPG

Nagra 7 (and Nagra VI Battery)

NagraCase-2.JPG

Both SKB case fit snuggly into the Pelican iM3075 (laying flat here, but to be used upright)

PelicanCase-1.JPG

Edited by JackHenry
Rearranging images

I ended up doing the Peli 1620 case and put some serious wheels on it for the rough Icelandic landscape.

Has been doing me really good for almost a year now!

IMG_7006.JPG

Very nice!

Do you have a detailed picture of the rear wheel axe? I'd like to do something similar with my 1620.

Thanks!

• 4 years later...
On 6/27/2014 at 3:06 PM, Siddho said:

its my turn to show off now. 😉  (see photos!!)

thanks to Pascal and John and the fact that i have a road movie starting next week on which we have to be very light and mobile i have done myself a Peli iM2750 case.

there was no way i could afford Pascal’s custom made drawers so i used standard 40x30cm Euroboxes with latching lids. they fit perfectly into the case and are light.

i used aluminium brackets and glued them is using UHU extreme double sided tape. the tape is supposed to hold 0,8 kilos per cm. so the amount i used should hold a box weighing 70 kilos on each shelf!!! of course i dont yet know how well it will hold but each box weighs around 3-4 kilos so it should be ok.

i did a small test and tried to pry the bracket off after gluing but no go. so i am keeping my fingers crossed.

i also didnt drill and expand the hole for the wheel’s spike as Pascal has done. i used a fitting 8mm steel spike which feels like it will hold for ever. i also used different tires to fit the 8mm spike.

i made a wooden work top so i can attach cable holders etc. it adds about 1-2 kilos of weight but its worth it. i just have to figure out a headphone holder to attach to it.

i am happy. the whole things including the case cost about 380 euros. but i have lost count of the manhours involved in thinking and building the thing.

i hope it holds out for a few years.

thanks again to Pascal and John for the inspiration.

post-8064-0-31597600-1403877872_thumb.jppost-8064-0-48972200-1403877876_thumb.jppost-8064-0-16707500-1403877881_thumb.jppost-8064-0-44826400-1403877885_thumb.jp

Could I ask where you got the wheeled back plate from? 

• 2 years later...
On 10/21/2015 at 7:27 PM, Nate C said:

Next stage completed. Drawers added. 

There were two important factors when designing the drawer system. 1 - I wanted to use tubs with locking lids as the cart lays down when packed in the car. 2- that the drawer system can be easily removed, so I could use the cart without them if required.

The skeleton for the drawers is made from aluminium which the tubs simply sit in. There is enough of a gap between the drawers that you can easily remove the lids and there is a small space at the bottom that one lid could be stored in. This in effect wastes about the space of one of the smaller tubs but makes it much easier to access gear. The skeleton is simply held in with velcro. Surprisingly secure. I have to use a paint scraper to separate the velcro to get it out. The skeleton weighs in at approx 1.8kg.

The mini runners used are sourced from a kitchen/wardrobe supplier and a pair only weigh 140 grams. They do not pull apart like the larger kitchen runners, so the assembly has to be done in a specific order. The tubs used are from a UK company called ReallyUsefulBoxes. 3x 4L and 1x 9L capacity containers. The smaller 4 litre containers perfectly fit an ERX or R1a on its side. 

D1.jpg

D2.jpg

D3.jpg

D4.jpg

Nate, Just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge how satisfyingly utilitarian your drawer design is! Dreaming about doing something similar over here (from across the years)! Cheers: and well done! I'm currently rockin' a rocknroller and thinking about ways to optimize / other options...

Question for Nate/other peli-cart folks: Are you still on the same design/cart? Is/was it a pain to lug around and pack in/out?

Thanks y'all! Wonderful ingenuity here!

17 hours ago, John Dombroski said:

Nate, Just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge how satisfyingly utilitarian your drawer design is! Dreaming about doing something similar over here (from across the years)! Cheers: and well done! I'm currently rockin' a rocknroller and thinking about ways to optimize / other options...

Question for Nate/other peli-cart folks: Are you still on the same design/cart? Is/was it a pain to lug around and pack in/out?

Thanks y'all! Wonderful ingenuity here!

Thanks for the kind words John.

I haven't used that cart in years, though I still have it. 

At the time I lived in a fourth floor walk up and it was a bit big and heavy to carry up and yet not big enough to comfortably wheel up and down the stairs. The other main issue was it needed to lay down in my car and the tubs often fell out of place and would get jammed, making it hard to open the drawers. There is probably a better way to hold the tubs in place but I never bothered investigating further due to the stair issue. 

May revisit and tweak the design when I have some down time. Like the concept, just didn't get it to the desired level. 

Side note: Thanks for sharing the photo's. Thought I had lost my Lav Rod but I see it velcroed to the inside of the lid. Bet it's still there.

Cheers Nate.

• 7 months later...