SD 633 , Features , Wish List / Questions

Joachim

SD 633 users, please add your opinion or correct me, before I send the following to Sound Devices.

Questions/Suggestions/possible Ideas for Improvement :

1.LowCut :

Is it possible to implement a LowCut setting of, let's say : 40Hz 12dB/oct or even 40Hz 24dB/oct ?

Reason: I may like the 70Hz-region of a bassy male voice. Right now, the lowest setting is 80Hz 12dB/oct.

2.Limiter Release :

Is an adjustable Limiter Release possible; just like the one from the 788 ?

Reason: it may not be desirable to have a 500ms-release after a 10ms-door slam.

3.Headphone Encoder or keyboard up/down arrows , scrolling in menus , unrestricted direction :

Presently : rotating counter-clockwise (while first item in menu is selected) does not do anything.

Could (should) be : rotating counter-clockwise (while first item in menu is selected) jumps to the last item of the menu.

Behavior like in the 7.. series.

4.Renaming a take (menu item 7 of Take List) :

Maximum are 35 letters/numbers. Upon typing the 35th number or letter, shouldn't be the display of all numbers and letters greyed out, to indicate "you have reached the maximum number of letters/numbers" and to avoid thereby the warning "Invalid File Name" ?

5.Keyboard , using “standard” features/shortcuts, implementation :

Ctrl+A , Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V for copying names of takes/files/phrases for other, similar takes/files/phrases :

e.g. : phrase “Parasitic Noise in the Background - Dialog unaffected”

Ctrl+A for selecting all , Ctrl+C for copying

new Phrase

Ctrl+V for pasting, thereafter editing prior entering into “Parasitic Noise in the Background - Dialog affected”

or , e.g. : after renaming take “Wild-StepT01” into “Wild-Steps-Woman-Outside” ,

Ctrl+A , Ctrl+C to copy all,

then renaming take “Wild-StepT02” , Ctrl+A , Ctrl+V and editing

“Wild-Steps-Woman-Outside” to “Wild-Steps-Woman-Inside”. Safes time.

(My keyboard : Keysonic ACK 3400, exact same width as the 633, fits in the Ambient bag ::) )

6.User phrases , changing order :

For example my user phrase list consists of

1.            Good

2.            Slate not clapped

3.            Bad

4.            Slate clapped at the end

Now if I want to re-order in a sensefull way,

1.            Good

2.            Bad

3.            Slate not clapped

4.            Slate clapped at the end,

the whole list must be rewritten.

The necessity for certain phrases may “evolve” during a shooting.

Or, I find, that phrase number 9 must be used often, so it is better to put it at number one position.

7.Shortcut Scene Name (HP press-and-hold + RTN) “adds” scene names instead of the menu saying “edit” :

Instead of editing the name (replacing the old one with the new one),  the entry will be added.

Sooner or later, the scene name list will be congested and it will be no more possible to use this shortcut and add a scene name.

If the functionality of this shortcut is “edit”, this will not be the case.

The manual one-by-one deletion of all the added scene names demands time.

(Editing via Take List , Enter , Scene , Edit will really “edit”(overwrite/kill).)

8.Fader Gain numeric value, but no Trim Gain numeric value :

If using, e.g. a stereo microphone like the Sennheiser MKH40+MKH30 (same sensitivity) or the Pearl MS8CL or a combination of Schoeps cardoid and figure-eight of the same product line, it is a good starting point to adjust both trims to the same value.

And for quickly re-adjusting the trim in a time critical situation (especially at night), not just by judging “both to 11 o’clock”.

Trim Gain as a numeric value is already available in the 7xx series.

9.Could Sound Devices develop an own XML-editing software to edit the settings file of the SD 633, e.g. HP Presets, Phrase List, Sound Report Info or other settings on a computer ?

Do you know, if there is third-party software, that does this already ( and will not “harm” the SD 633 after re-importing the edited settings) ?

I would pay for this. (Could be named “XML Agent” ::) )

----- Edit, additional ideas of forum members -----

10. Extended Flexible Linking/Ganging of more than Input 1-2 and 5-6 :

Linking of at least Input 1 2 3 for Double MS, if possible total user defined linking (multi channel arrays).

Linking/Ganging that includes trim or fader or both.

11. Scene Name List , Improvement , related to 7. :

When the scene name list is full, there could be a warning about this status to avoid, not to be able to enter a new scene name.

Or an automatic overwrite/clearing of existing older scene names.

12. Headphone Source Selection , auto-exit after 2 seconds of no action :

The 2 seconds timeframe could be user defined ; either default "2 seconds" or "upon subsequent pressing of the knob", to enable monitoring/checking different configurations/presets/input-combinations without pressing the headphone encoder multiple times and the preset list always disappearing.

13. Mix Assist :

Like in the 788.

14. Return , Routing to Outputs /Busses :

E.g. to feed the return of the camera to an IFB for the director, also useful for playback in the camera.

Keyboard , undocumented functionality of "Esc" , to be changed into "One-Step-back-in-the-Menu-Tree" :

When going into a menu via the Menu Button, e.g. Main Menu > 7.File Storage > 3.Folder Options > Enter > Folder Options Menu , then pressing the Menu Button will go back to File Storage Menu; the menu above the last one.

Going into a menu via keyboard : F1 > Arrows > Enter > Arrows > ... , it is not possible to go back to the last menu.

"Esc" will revert to the Main Screen.

"Esc" is not documented, but could have the functionality of "One-Step-back-in-the-Menu-Tree".

"Go-back-immediately-from-a-menu-to-Main-Screen" is already covered by the Select Button.

Presently, navigating in menus via keyboard is only "forth".

Otherwise, totally happy with this wonderful machine !

8.Fader Gain numeric value, but no Trim Gain numeric value :

If using, e.g. a stereo microphone like the Sennheiser MKH40+MKH30 (same sensitivity) or the Pearl MS8CL or a combination of Schoeps cardoid and figure-eight of the same product line, it is a good starting point to adjust both trims to the same value.

And for quickly re-adjusting the trim in a time critical situation (especially at night), not just by judging “both to 11 o’clock”.

Trim Gain as a numeric value is already available in the 7xx series.

Point 8 - Trim gain

I must admit I'm unpleasantly surprised if this is the case, so thanks for pointing it out.

For my own purpose (multichannel array recording) I'll say it's very important to be able to quickly and easily match gains across combinations of tracks and anything that makes that job easier gets my vote. I've already been critical on v1 of the 633 being able to gang only tracks 1+2 and 5+6. I would suggest a software upgrade to allow (if actually possible) ganging of any or all combination of channels; ganging of trim levels; ganging of fader levels; ganging of both trim and fader levels; offsets possible within any of these combinations - that should allow for any possible and probable stereo setups and types of mic, matched or unmatched.

But (like my 302 and other analogue SD pres) maybe an accurate control or indication of the main(trim) gain is simply not possible?

Jez

You should have gone with Maxx...

-Limiter/compressor perfectly fit as you want (ratio, attack, release, output gain, treshold)

-assignable fader to one or multiple inputs (trim or fader)

-lowcut 40hz to 230hz

-flexible routing (not iso1 to card 1 )etc

-neverclip rules

but no keyboard  ;)

One i would add is the limited number of scene names, and some sort of warning when you've run out. i was on a job w several scene names and tons of takes. When i got to the last possible scene entry, it gave me the impression the scene name was set to go. When i hit record it sticks to the previous scene name created without any warning that i ran out of scene name entry space. Of course i was able to rename files but took me a bit to figure out while on the job that i had to go in and flush out previous scene names. Now i know to edit previous ones where possible. Again, some sort of warning "your scene box is full"

Ken

of course send SD your list...

and perhaps bring it up on the SD support forum, or even one of the other various redesign threads here...

BTW, I'd like a low cut at 53.2 Hz.

I must have been blind, not to recognize that there is a SD forum ; just registered. Thanks Mike !

53.2 Hz : maybe applicable for a certain situation, I like to have more flexibility.

-Limiter/compressor perfectly fit as you want (ratio, attack, release, output gain, treshold)

-lowcut 40hz to 230hz

-neverclip rules

but no keyboard  ;)

Thank you for the focused list of the advantages of the Maxx.

I was interested in that recorder, but heard of repair/customer service problems by a reputable rental/selling company here in Munich.

Their close connection to Sound Devices and in-depth knowledge about their products makes me feel safe.

No keyboard : very shortly after I pluged in my newly bought keyboard into the 633, I thought : "Never again without !"

One i would add is the limited number of scene names, and some sort of warning when you've run out. i was on a job w several scene names and tons of takes. When i got to the last possible scene entry, it gave me the impression the scene name was set to go. When i hit record it sticks to the previous scene name created without any warning that i ran out of scene name entry space. Of course i was able to rename files but took me a bit to figure out while on the job that i had to go in and flush out previous scene names. Now i know to edit previous ones where possible. Again, some sort of warning "your scene box is full"

Ken

Good point, added as edit to my list. A warning or maybe an automatic "overwrite the oldest scene name when scene name list is full".

Thanks senator, SD has a feature suggestion thread for their products on their forum (forum.sounddevices.com from memory) you are required to register before for you search or post. If you own their gear it's well worth the effort; you also get a pretty quick indication if what you want is technically possible

Edited by chris_bollard

+1 on the suggestions about the scene naming.

I'd also like to see a different behavior for the headphone selector.

Currently when you press the headphone knob, your custom list pops up and you choose your preset. The list then vanishes after 2 seconds. I'd like to see the list stay up until you press the headphone knob again.

When I'm changing my headphone preset, it's usually only a quick thing to check another configuration, and somtimes several configurations. (eg go through each wireless channel one by one) Having the list stay up would allow you to scroll between a number of configurations without having to constantly re-engage the headphone list.

A small thing, but it would make a big difference to me!

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Hi Constatin,

What mixer/recorder do you use?

Thank you for the focused list of the advantages of the Maxx.

I was interested in that recorder, but heard of repair/customer service problems by a reputable rental/selling company here in Munich.

Their close connection to Sound Devices and in-depth knowledge about their products makes me feel safe.

No keyboard : very shortly after I pluged in my newly bought keyboard into the 633, I thought : "Never again without !"

Before buy, i asked my rental/selling company (both sound devices and Zaxcom distributor) in Bruxelles about reliability between Zaxcom and SD and he said it was fine for both and it was up to me for what product and possibility I need. So I choose Maxx and it came from USA in 5 days. I's a huge pleasure to use it in the field and very user friendly and versatility menu ;)

I'd love to have switchable meter scales. I can't quite understand why some SD products meters are in dBFS and some in dBU, despite having FS and VU metering. The conversion is simple enough, but as a long time 788T user, I'm a bit set in my ways, and every mixer/recorder Ive used for an extended period of time has been in dBFS. Since the meter scale is in the software, and not printed or etched into the face place, I would think that switching the numeric values of the meters would be fairly easy.

Speaking of metering, Ive always enjoyed the volt meter on the 7 series machines, and even though it is a couple of menu steps away on the 633, knowing where you stand with power is important to be able to see at a glance. I'd like to see voltage on the home screen, and not just a colored battery icon. I use a BDS that has no companion volt meter like the Remote Audio BDS and RM. However, I have made my own volt meter, but I will likely be using two batteries like I have been doing with my 788T: one for the recorder, one for the BDS. Sometimes the NP cup gets pulled from the battery in the bag, and although it is great having 10 seconds to pop it back in, I do not have the luxury of a self charging battery on the back of the 633 as a backup in case the NP is pulled. But that is a battery charging issue that I am sure many have brought up. However, if that is a software thing, then bring it!

I will say that even though the 633 is of a different family than the 7 series machines, I would think that some of the behaviors and characteristics of the 7 series machines would be preferable, if anything, because so many SD users have been with the 7 series for so long. I like that my menu selection stays on my last selected menu option on my 788, and +1 for selecting a menu item on the headphone pot before the menu disappears. Im sure this last thing will become less of an issue as I get used to the menu options, but for now Im still reading all of them. Maybe this could be a preferences option? I'd also like to enable/disable headphone encoder functions. On the 788T, it was nice having things set and never having to touch it again. With the 633, I feel like I'm always losing my settings because Ive been fiddling with the encoder for other reasons. Even a "headphone level lock" function would be an improvement in this area.

I am excited that there is finally a saved list of "notes" or "comments" for each take on the 633, I've been bugging SD about that feature forever for the 788T. I have my jobs where a keyboard is something I can be fiddling with, and other jobs where it's not possible. That list of what I consider to be common notes or comments is a life saver when the client expects a sound report, or I feel its necessary to provide one, but I do not have the luxury of a cart and keyboard to use as an office.

One last thing for now: Screen protector. I want a heavy duty screen protector, not just a flimsy piece of plastic held in place by wedging it. Just because this thing protects the screen from finger prints, doesn't mean that its in any way helpful from debris or dust. While we're at it, how about one for the 788T? I can't remember how many times Ive had to tape my screen protector on because the sticky wore off and it wouldn't stay on. Just a thought :)

http://forums.sounddevices.com/forum/field-mixers/-633-mixer/31103-things-i-noticed-working-with-the-633

I copied the list to this forum - engineers from SD are replying a lot of times to those requests.

dBu versus dBfs : there is already a discussion about that in the SD forum.

Volt meter is also discussed already there.

I personally do not need it, with 2 SWIT S-8972 connected - will last forever.

HP encoder : in the mentioned thread, somebody already replied : set HP pref to Preset/Vol. Although I would like to have the whole preset list open.

HP level lock : could have used that, when my keyboard was connected and the up arrow was stuck, +20dB, no way of manually lowering it (disconnected keyboard , unit off, on, normal).

Keyboard : mine fits in the bag. Glued velcro on the back and also velcro on a selfmade soft-PVC folio. If not having to move dramatically while booming, I can even leave it attached as in the pictures (barely visible on the second one), ready to create even individual notes right after the take.

The folio also acts as a way stronger protection, once the keyboard is hidden in the bag and the folio wraps from front to back.

(BTW : the camera man is standing on a skateboard, being towed ^_^ )

post-10184-0-61721800-1401704831_thumb.j

post-10184-0-86698100-1401705200_thumb.j

I used an iphone screen protector (Zagg invisible shield) for my 633. works great and you get two protectors out of it since you have to cut it down to make it fit the 633 screen.

No point in spending the earth for a specialized "SD brand" screen protector...

cheers,

Brent

Interesting: I hear/read a lot of complains about the 633,but hardly any on the 664 (should be about the same machine,only the 633 is half the size..) SD :euh is this a total diiff design?Have been working with the 664 for 130 shootingdays ,and no problems (okOK 2 times it feezed but I blame my Cherry keyboard for that!)

Was looking for an appropriate thread in which to post - wanted to report that I've just used the 633 for the first time (two day narrative shoot this past weekend) and, suffice is to say, I'm in love.  It really is a whole new sound mixing world for me now.

Been using a 442/702T combo for years, so this new machine is a total game-changer - super enjoyable to use and the sound quality is drop dead gorgeous (been drooling just listening to playback) - three times the capability of my previous kit with three times less weight. Will save me thousands in chiropractic bills. I simply find this little sucker to be somewhat amazing.

Love the simple interface and easy scene-naming layout. Love having full control and easy access over customizing headphone outs. Love the solo channel monitoring. Love the multi-powering options. Love the duel CF/SD card capture.  Love the COMPACTNESS - this is the first time since my 302-straight-to-camera days that I don't feel the weight.  

LOVE the extra channels!! It's amazing how great it feels to have one (let alone 4) more isolated channels - it's so freeing!  I no longer have to beat myself up making those tough and seldom totally successful mixing decisions/compromises that I had to make all the time with my former two channel setup.

I just love everything about this machine.  It feels incredibly well designed, you can literally feel that simply by handling the machine and navigating through it's menu layout, it's remarkably well designed.

This machine may make me fall back in love with sound mixing again - it sounds just THAT great and feels just THAT light, it's a joy to work with.  Well done Sound Devices, you guys hit this one out of the park!

Worth every last penny.

Well said Sean!

Despite having a few very niggly things I'd like changed, overall the 633 totally rocks my world. I got one in the first month (which I never do with newly introduced gear) because it seemed like Sound Devices designed it specifically for me and how I work! In fact I recently came across a post I made a couple of years ago in which I'm idly dreaming about some sort of recording 302. Ironically I've never had a 302, cause I always needed the capability of it's larger siblings. The introduction of the 633 actually kind of shocked me with it's combination of tiny size and huge capabilities.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

ahh,  come-on.... there must be something you want different! :unsure:

Yes, that was my thread starting intend.

Sound Devices designed it specifically for me and how I work!

That was exactly my first feeling, when it was announced; finally a kind of "missing link" between the 744 and the 788.

I've just used the 633 for the first time (two day narrative shoot this past weekend) and, suffice is to say, I'm in love.

I am still in love, but my wish is to keep this thread focused on improvements. The desire for improvements will grow with further shooting days.

Is Mix Assist too much to ask?

This is totally from the top of my head and I did not search anything, but I think in various threads about the 664 it was determined that this would not be possible, mostly because it's first and foremost an analogue mixer.

But who know what the wizards at Sound Devices can pull out of their heads

This is totally from the top of my head and I did not search anything, but I think in various threads about the 664 it was determined that this would not be possible, mostly because it's first and foremost an analogue mixer.

But who know what the wizards at Sound Devices can pull out of their heads

iirc 633 is different from 664 in terms of the when the signal becomes digitised (ie how and when it enters the dsp). i'm not saying mix assist is possible on the 633 but the reasons for it not being possible on the 664 may not apply with the 633.

-lowcut 40hz to 230hz

-neverclip rules

but no keyboard ;)

I agree with all of this, but they lost me at single media. MARF and WAV on one card? What were they thinking?