What kind of duplex cable do you use?

larry long

Canare makes a very durable and rugged starquad duplex pair cable that I've been using for years. Highly reccomended.

Eric

Ditto.  One of my assistants mentioned that one run of mine was looking a little tatty--I told her that the cable was as old as she was.  The main question to ask is what sort of talkback do you want to rig up for the boom op.  This has to take into account your mixer and its TB system, and how you want to work with (or around) it.

Philip Perkins

I was in a partnership with another mixer and I'm now autonomous.

We built Mogami cables with 12 pin connectors and a fan out to 3 xlr's  and a stereo HP to use with a cooper 106.

I just need 3 channels 1 xlr for boom, 1 xlr for comm in (tb), and a 1/4 hp .

I've been looking around for some different modular ends besides the screw on 12 pins we used.

Also what is a good source for buying cable ?

Guest tourtelot

The Mogami is MUCH more suseptable to RF (especially from HMI head feeders) than the Canare.  It is much more more flexible but also "stickier."  It tends to get tangled much more easily, and is not nearly as durable.  Go with the Canare.

I am pleased that there is still interest in DUPLEX cables (wherein the microphone is connected directly to the mix panel and the boom operator gets a decent monitor return - I know this is stating the obvious). I hired a fairly young and inexperienced utility sound person on a movie we were doing and when there was a rather long doly shot to do I told him he better get at least another 100 foot duplex. He said he would get it but then asked "what's a duplex?". Prior to working with us he had only done jobs where everything was wireless, so "what's a duplex?"

I'm too old, I should be retired by now. If I could only get someone to pay to ramble on the way I do here about "the good old days".

Regards,  Jeff Wexler