Audio Wireless any good?

chrisyking

Hiya. Anyone know anything about or using Audio Wireless radio mics?

http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/Audio_Wireless_120MHz_AWDR1_and_AWT1_w_Options--product--1369.html

They are based in Borehamwood. A friend of mine tested them and they had a better range than lectrosonics and 2040's .

Anyone have any experience of these?

Reviews welcome

Chris

Raycom have said they'll be doing a deal in the UK on Wisycom radios, they seem good on paper, but real world performance seems patchy, QC issues, and no input limiters on the TXs kill them for me, I know they're incorporating them in subsequent models, but if they missed that off, what else have they forgotten? 

Good bang for your buck, especially if you go for the 32mhz option. Not great with intermod in larger setups. Sound quality seemed very good from what I've heard.

Comparing them to wisycom is pointless, wisy win every time but cost a fair bit more.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your interest in Audio Wireless and as an engineer working there I thought I might be able to constructively add to this.

Firstly, Chris if you would like a demo please feel free to contact us, our door is always open at Borehamwood, Elstree Studios so we would be glad to show you our equipment personally.

Jon, I'm sorry we lost contact with you but I believe Aldo has now contacted you and the same offer applies.

Tim, I'm not sure what situation (frequency plan, environment etc) you were referring to regarding intermod problems in larger setups but we may be able to assist you to ensure you can get the most out of your equipment. 

Each TV CH (8MHz) has a pre-coordinated frequency plan that allows for use of up to 12 channels of radio mics. By using appropriate antenna distribution systems, Tx power levels to suit the location & application as well as adjusting the Rx mute level (aka squelch), can you maximise your performance of multi-channel set ups.

I hope that helps, 

Hiya. Anyone know anything about or using Audio Wireless radio mics?

http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/Audio_Wireless_120MHz_AWDR1_and_AWT1_w_Options--product--1369.html

They are based in Borehamwood. A friend of mine tested them and they had a better range than lectrosonics and 2040's .

Anyone have any experience of these?

Reviews welcome

Chris

Hey,

I have been an AW user for over a year now, got 5x120mhz ones myself and have been very happy so far.

I went to Elstree to buy Lectros but after a walking test I decided to go with the AW, since range and audio quality was better imo. and bought a bunch of Schoeps with the left over money

Also I work mainly in Turkey where the RF environment is very hostile, so these were perfect for me, can fit 5 of them into 1 TV channel. Plus the battery life is MUCH better than Lectros, I can run a Tx on a single rechargeable AA for almost an entire day and the Rx's are incredibly light and compact compared to the 411's (which is what i'm used to) when in a bag. All that, for the price they go for, its a very good deal...

Good bang for your buck, especially if you go for the 32mhz option. Not great with intermod in larger setups. Sound quality seemed very good from what I've heard.

Comparing them to wisycom is pointless, wisy win every time but cost a fair bit more.

Tim I cannot see why they would have intermod issues, since they have one of the widest frequency bands out there, unless they are not set up properly...

The founder and engineer of audio Wireless was the Developer at micron Wireless for years. I use the 16ch micron for years now and think they are Great Bang for the Buck.

Build quality (transmitter) isn't that strong lets say lectrosonics or Sennheiser sk 50 but much cheaper. Sonically very Good. Receiver very Good. Antenna Indicator Show Even the very little spill a 552 produces (no squelch). Once transmitters on all Fine.

From what i found Out speaking to AW Build quality should be quite improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'm Also a happy user of the 32Mhz version. 

And must ad a +1 for the battery life of the TX. 

@Erol, 

I was wondering if you could share some info on the status of the products shown on IBC2013? 

Aside from a video posted on this forum I couldn't find any info on the progression/availability.

All the best, 

Lucas

I'm Also a happy user of the 32Mhz version. 

And must ad a +1 for the battery life of the TX. 

@Erol, 

I was wondering if you could share some info on the status of the products shown on IBC2013? 

Aside from a video posted on this forum I couldn't find any info on the progression/availability.

All the best, 

Lucas

Hi Lucas,

Sure, the diversity system housings (DH2+1 & DH5+1) are both in production and available to buy today. As is the P48 bomb as well. For more information regarding them please contact us and we can let you know any particular questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Erkal: " I cannot see why they would have intermod issues, since they have one of the widest frequency bands out there, "

incorrect cause and effect. intermodulation is not related to the bandwidth...

Yes not solely. But for 'larger setups' you will need more channels... Correct?

I've been using Audio Wireless  wirelesses for 2 years now. Overall I've been really satisfied. The sound quality is outstanding and they are small and robust. For me in the bag they seem to work better if I power the receivers externally. The menus are simple and the bandwidth has been a blessing since I do a lot of foreign work. I use them mainly as talent mics and have bought an Electro diversity receiver SRb5P with 2 of the watertight transmitters which I use as a camera link as it can fit in the slot of full sized Sony cameras. On projects I work on the link audio is mostly a courtesy and no one is too concerned about its quality which is a good thing as the Audio Wireless units sound markedly better when placed side by side with the Electros when listening on my Cantar.  I would say the Audio Wireless sound as good as the series 700 Microns I still use as well. 

Margus Jukkum,Toronto, Canada

Raycom have said they'll be doing a deal in the UK on Wisycom radios, they seem good on paper, but real world performance seems patchy, QC issues, and no input limiters on the TXs kill them for me, I know they're incorporating them in subsequent models, but if they missed that off, what else have they forgotten? 

To be fair, Wisycom transmitters do have soft clippers and a very large dynamic range. They have been used on everything from Americas Cup, to Formula 1 and Sky News, also in most ITV Studios to name but very few for years without complaints relating to dynamic range. If you are hitting the clippers then you need to back off the TX gain. If that means you are having level problems let me know as that is another issue that can be solved.

There is indeed a version with limiter, the MTP40S, coming out soon. As mentioned further up we will be launching a special offer that includes this transmitter as soon as we have confirmed delivery date (expected to be in July).

I was forgetting they've been used on the F1 coverage for a while now, I'm sure they get a pounding there!

Don't get me wrong, I don't bounce my inputs off the limiters as a matter of course, but in the world of docs, you never quite know what, or who is round the next corner....

I've been using Audio Wireless wirelesses for 2 years now. Overall I've been really satisfied. The sound quality is outstanding and they are small and robust. For me in the bag they seem to work better if I power the receivers externally. The menus are simple and the bandwidth has been a blessing since I do a lot of foreign work. I use them mainly as talent mics and have bought an Electro diversity receiver SRb5P with 2 of the watertight transmitters which I use as a camera link as it can fit in the slot of full sized Sony cameras. On projects I work on the link audio is mostly a courtesy and no one is too concerned about its quality which is a good thing as the Audio Wireless units sound markedly better when placed side by side with the Electros when listening on my Cantar. I would say the Audio Wireless sound as good as the series 700 Microns I still use as well.

Margus Jukkum,Toronto, Canada

Hi margus

You Mean the AW Sounds better with a lav than an lectrosonics with a lav?

Which lavalier did you test? Which lectrosonics tx?

I had a similar experience with a dpa 4061 lectrosonics LMa 411 versus my own DPA 4061 and micron SDR 116 tx716.

Lectrosonics sounded thinner (less bass) and a Little less detailed.

But i thought it was Down to the rental House and the stuff Wasn't well maintained. Tried several DPA with no better result.

Please Share your experience.

Hi margus

I had a similar experience with a dpa 4061 lectrosonics LMa 411 versus my own DPA 4061 and micron SDR 116 tx716.

But i thought it was Down to the rental House and the stuff Wasn't well maintained. Tried several DPA with no better result.

The magic of pure analog sound :)

Hi margus

Hi Armin;

I used the Countryman B6 lav for my test. I should say it wasn't really a test but an observation when I first purchased the Lectro diversity receiver with 2 WM watertight transmitters. I ordered a pair of CountrymannB6 lavs for the transmitters as a contingency should I ever need to use the units as talent mics. My intention was to use the Lectro as a link to the camera as I was working on a couple of television series that were using the Sony 800 camera. With the SRb5P I was able to use the wireless slot built in the camera. Since shooting took place over several months I was able to leave the receiver in the camera for the duration which was handy. The Audio Wireless use a 6 pin lemo connector which is totally different from the Lectro connector for lavs but since I had several B6 lavs with lemo connectors I was able to listen to the Lectro and Audio Wireless units side by side with the same model lav but not physically the same lav. I played the wirelesses through my Cantar X2 and listened with my Beyer DT48 headphones. The Lectro units sounded a lot thinner, almost tinny.

I did this almost a year ago. For me the Lectro units work fine as link wirelesses on the bigger cameras as well as for the smaller ones like the Canon C300 because I can use the 9 volt battery pack to power the diversity receiver which can be put into an external sleeve. To date I have never used the Lectro on talent. Had it not been for the convenience of being able slot mount the unit on cameras I would not have considered any Lectro unit for purchase. For most of my career I have used Micron wirelesses and have made a slight shift to some Audio Wireless units when Aldo Haklil opened up his own shop and began the manufacture of his wide band units. Because I travel a lot for work the bandwidth issue is important and from a practical view because the Audio Wirelesses use the same 6 pin lemo connector for lavs as do my Microns I can seamlessly integrate the use of all my lavs.

My little test was done out of curiosity and is by no means scientific or extensive but based on my initial conclusions I have not rushed out to buy or borrow different sounding lavs to see if they perform better in the Lectro units