Theremini

Jeff Wexler

post-1-0-21979600-1401558056_thumb.jpg

Moog Music

We are proud to announce the official release of the Theremini; a re-imagining of one of the oldest electronic musical instruments, and Bob Moog’s first love – the Theremin. It is the only known instrument that you play without touching. Moving your hands in the space around its antennas controls pitch and volume. The Theremini combines a powerful sound engine derived from Moog’s award winning synthesizer, Animoog, with the traditional no-touch playing of a Theremin.  

The Theremini’s sound engine captures the vast sonic vocabulary of Moog synthesizers and effects allowing for an infinite range of styles and tones. The front panel features a multi function LCD screen which displays a chromatic tuner with real-time feedback of each note as it is played. This is a useful tool for correcting a player’s position and pitch for each note. The Theremini also features a portable design with tabletop feet, bottom nesting pitch antenna, and a built-in speaker for quick setup and rehearsal anywhere.

That's not Theremin, it's Tannerin (much easier to play):

time to upgrade from my Etherwave Standard Theremin. It's fun, but a very frustrating beast. Like the look of the new mini. very spaceage bachelor pad.

I am not sure that will be an upgrade. That pitch correction feature is a very clear sign where the Moog company is going. 

Ya, the Theremini is cool.

Anyone remember the Paia Theremin? I built one as a kid. Here's the current version that seems fairly similar:

http://www.paia.com/theremax.asp

And here's a chance for me to mention again the GREAT documentary Steven M. Martin made about Theremin (the man and the device). 20 years old. A really wonderful and even touching film. Search it out. Here's the clever trailer that doesn't do the film justice:

Jim, I remember the PAIA. I didn't ever get one of their products, but i remember compulsively reading their catalogues. Were'nt they located in Oklahoma? My first synth was an ARP Oddysey. Wish I still had it. I loaned it to a guy I barely knew named Dave sometime in the early 80's.  Never came back. Dave, where's my synth, man?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this thing looks great. Built my own PAIA Theremin from a kit a few years back. Only worked if I plugged it into a guitar amp, but then left the amp turned off! Was still a lot of fun. Impossible to play though, no matter how much I practiced. Think the Theremini looks a bit more forgiving.

• 4 years later...