C-Stand and Boompoles

David A-Ribeiro

I´m in a shoot where I will need to improvise a rig to have a fixed boom stretch out to where the talent is speaking. There is only grip gear at my disposal and I was thinking of using a C-stand (or similary sturdy stand) and a clamp. The boom should ideally be stretched to a minimum 3m long so that there is space between it and the action for cam-op´s to move around freely.

My question is: is this realistic without a pole holder to support the boom at two different points? The laws of physics tell me I should probably clamp the boom at the end of the first section, but even there do I run the risk of the boom simply cracking?

Any opinions welcome!

You can replicate the mechanical effect of using a boompole holder very easily.  Set up the c-stand with the arm parallel to the ground, and with the c-stand knuckle pointing to the talent and somewhat close to the vertical of the c-stand.  Lay the pole across the c-stand knuckle and then tie the back end of the pole to the back end of the c-stand arm with a piece of rope or several wraps of gaffer's tape.  Where the boom rests on the knuckle, tie that off, too, for safety.  As with a boompole holder, drop a sandbag or 2 on the base of the c-stand... and if you need more extension on the pole, add a sandbag to the back end of the c-stand arm for counter-balance so the c-stand knob doesn't have to work so hard.

A Boommate is designed to fit into a grip head. Great for sit down interviews. A "baby triple header"  is useful in this config if space doesn't allow for another C-Stand.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Shop-by-Brand-BoomMate/ci/4/phd/4291583202/N/4294255798

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3617-REG/Avenger_F900_F900_Baby_Triple_Header.html

Go to wall mart and spend 12 bucks for a fishing rod holder.  A grip head will hold one just fine and it will do the job.  The only difference between this style holder http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/885688-REG/Auray_BPH_BOOM_POLE.html , and your standard fishing rod holder is that the rod holder sells for less and has threads on the bottom part.  all of the other dimensions are the same.

Great stuff, everyone, thanks.

Whitney, I might find something in the way of that clamp you mention, could try that.

Laurence, thanks for the instructions, I am not very clear with all the terms (sorry, not familiar with all the English grip terms), not sure what you mean by "knuckle" but I think I can infer...I´ll try that and maybe I´ll upload some pics, this shoot will last for a couple more weeks so there is some time to experiment a little.

Boomholder could be an item to add to that long list...

Yes, the K-Tek is very nice and definitely preferable to what I described.  But in a pinch, gaffer's tape (or a little rope) will do.  Note that in the image I uploaded, the boom is just resting on the knuckle.  All the work is done by the tape/rope on the back end (the left side in the image.)

The stresses on the pole as shown are identical to those on a pole held by a boom operator... although theoretically less, since it never gets swung or raised, which momentarily increases the stress significantly.  If it can't handle this stress, it's not a real boompole.