K-Zepp or Rode for budget blimp

Etrocal

Hi all, I'm new here so don't shoot me if this topic has already been made, but I've been looking around and haven't found much info on the K-Tek K-Zepps?  I was originally gonna spring for a Rode (I'd love a Rycote but budget), but saw a comment pointing out the K-Zepp.  I was curious to hear if anybody has any opinions?

+1 for the new Rycote Super Shields.

as far as the S-Series go, i did buy an S300 but sold it off after one short project. they are fine i guess for run & gun or similar but in certain situations they colour the sound of the mic used quite a bit (in my case the 416 and the 81i)... it must be that thick white plastic caging material used.

I suppose it's too soon to have any good comparisons, but does anybody have any idea of the quality difference of the Rode Blimp redesign vs the Rycote Wind Shield?  I know Rycote has a better name and is slightly pricier, probably that says a lot, but most people I've heard complain about the Rode blimps are because of its bulk and build quality rather than sound quality.

Coloration of sound I only have really experienced with the Combination of Schoeps cmit with the rycote modular blimp.

I prefer Sennheiser mzw 60-1.

Old Rode with MKH 416 Sounds Fine to me.

No experience with Cinela which could be the best of all as of threads here a Time ago.

BTW: the lyre System did not Show significant improvement on handling noise to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been disappointed in the Rode.  I haven't noticed much coloration, but it is so DAMN HEAVY and built to punish or haze you when you boom.  On a fully extended boom, no one needs a pistol grip to add excess weight!  The choice of materials reflects an attempt to make the zepp robust, but it does so at a cost that will burn your shoulders for years to come...

On a fully extended boom, no one needs a pistol grip to add excess weight! 

They sell separately a holder that really cut the weight of the whole thing

http://www.rodemic.com/accessories/blimp_mount

Now if only there was a way to install lyres on it... (i mean on the v1 of the rode blimp... damn rode doesn't sell spares for v1/v2)

I have been disappointed in the Rode.  I haven't noticed much coloration, but it is so DAMN HEAVY and built to punish or haze you when you boom.  

Ya, I tried the original Rode blimp and was disappointed for a few reasons, the key one being the weight. But they say of their new model that was released a couple months ago (I think):

"With the lightweight design of the handle and suspension system the new Blimp design is over 25% lighter (550gm without microphone or DeadWombat fitted)."

More info here:

http://www.rodemic.com/accessories/blimp

I suppose it's too soon to have any good comparisons, but does anybody have any idea of the quality difference of the Rode Blimp redesign vs the Rycote Wind Shield?  I know Rycote has a better name and is slightly pricier, probably that says a lot, but most people I've heard complain about the Rode blimps are because of its bulk and build quality rather than sound quality.

Another potential factor: can you easily get spare parts for the Rode? I can for my Rycote stuff; that has some value for me... no idea if Rode and their dealers are great or not in this area. 

Not slagging Rode... just posting a couple thoughts...

Another potential factor: can you easily get spare parts for the Rode?

Don't know where you from but in Europe every small musician shop is a rode dealer somewhat, which basically means that if they don't have it in stock it will take 1 or 2 business days to get it from the distributor.

I live in Istanbul right now and every small musician shop offers Rode products right now. I guess they are a bit unbeatable distribution wise because of that.

Don't know where you from but in Europe every small musician shop is a rode dealer somewhat, which basically means that if they don't have it in stock it will take 1 or 2 business days to get it from the distributor.

Sure, if you need a new NT1 or a whole blimp kit...Rode will have you covered. But if you just need an individual part for the blimp (probably a minor-volume product in Rode's line), perhaps a back section of a cage after yours got crushed, then I don't know how quickly Rode owners can get replacements.