Playback on 633

perimeter

I will be doing a recording on a stage using the Sound Devices 633. Instead of using comteks to monitor, the client and talent want a playback setup with loudspeakers. After takes they want me to play back the audio so they can listen back.

Is there a way with the 633 outputs to set up the speakers so that they are only fed audio upon playback and not during the recording of a take? I don't want to have to unplug or switch off the speakers each time.

Any tips would be much appreciated thanks!

maybe someone has a better way - but...

dont know how quickly you need to switch back and forth between rec and playback, but the X1/X2 (or X3/X4) outs menu, toggle the track feeds to these off and on accordingly depending on your record/playback state? just need to pot down mics possibly to avoid feedback depending on speaker placement. i am sure there is a better way tho. my guess is you want to do this all in the 633 and not have an outboard mixer with mute switches or similar feeding the speakers.

Ken

You can set the outputs to have different sources during playback and recording, so when recording your monitoring can be X1/X2 and playback be X3/X4.

As far as I can see you cannot set playback sources. The only options for playback are "all outputs" or "headphone only" 

I was thinking to send to the speakers using X1 and then not route any of the channels I'm recording to X1. If I set playback to all outputs that should work. X1 won't get signal during recording but it should during playback. Make sense? 

I'll get the speakers tomorrow so can't test until then. Thanks

Just went through this yesterday.... You can not simply set that to " playback through all outputs" and have material go through the x1 or x2 output... You MUST have the data recorded to Aux 1 or Aux 2 to come out those outputs...

Seems strange because you would think that a recording on Left and Right channel would simply come out the x1 and x2 when the output menu selection "all outputs" is selected... But... It does not...

You may have to simply unplug your speaker until you need to send it down the line.. Or use a mini Yamaha mixer or something between the recorder and the speaker... Maybe use the Left or Right XLR outputs fo playback..since you will of recorded to those tracks most likely... Leave your Aux1 for your Comtek send.. For real time monitoring..

I am hoping there will be a software update that will simply allow recorded material to actually go to ALL outputs, or to ones you would choose...  soon .... I hope..

To record to Left and Right tracks and NOT be able to send to Comteks for listening during playback through X1 and X2 without having to record to X1 and X2 tracks.. is strange..   must be a simple oversight..

• 2 weeks later...

An Idea:

633 stereo output [xlr L R] -> small 2 channel mixer [mix pre d] -> speakers for difficult clients.

If you can remember to twist a knob before takes you should be fine. just make a little mark where the knob needs to line up so you don't forget.

A little more hardware but it should make it so there is no unplugging or menu changing involved.

One thing I really like about the cheap handheld recorder's is that audio passes when the device is in record mode. I'd love such a feature on the outputs of any mixer/recorder.

But then you have to remember to pot down mics before you press stop, if speakers are open. A simple A/B toggle switch with nothing going to B could work. You'll just need to remember to toggle to B before turning up mics.