Ambient qp4140 vs qx5130

Lossycodec

Hey gang. First post. I've been swinging a boom around New Mexico for the past several years and I'm finally stepping up to buy my own. I've used ktek, ambient, vdb & panamic. Pretty much settled on ambient. I've only used the 4140. Kind of interested Hey gang. First post. I've been swinging a boom around New Mexico for the past several years and I'm finally stepping up to buy my own. I've used ktek, ambient, vdb & panamic. Pretty much settled on ambient (for price, general reliability, sturdinessI've only used the 4140. Kind of interested in the 5130 for its ability to get slightly shorter (and slightly longer). It's a bit lighter as well. So I am wondering if anyone can chime in who has had experience with both. Or just the 5130 since I haven't used it. It does get windy here so stiffness may be a factor.

We have a few of both kinds on our team, I can't say one's "better" than the other, but I can encourage you that the QP4140 is a bit of a legend in terms of reliability, not that the QX5130 is less reliable but we have at least 2 QP4140 that are 15 years old and used almost every day... A good investment I'd say...

• 6 months later...

The QP series is stiffer and heavier than the QX. One thing I disliked about the QP was that in vertical position and extended when you open one of the locks, the segment "falls down" by itself (can hurt your fingers), while with the QX the segments stay extended until you pull them down yourself. I haven't tried the QS but it seems to combine the best of the two series or is even better.

I'm using QP4140 since 2005. It served me well. If the falls down Ambient boom pole. Then cut some plastic joint ring. I remember since 2006 version of Ambient series they have a pin on every section between plastic joint ring. Pull them up. Because if you are in hurry the pin broke up and gets inside boom pole section and grind your pole. And I change the place velcro tape wider each section. That loose the lenth about 20Cm(7.8 Inches) but it is safer than before. If I choose between 4140 and 5130. I prefer QP4140. Because my hand is small and I like stiff boom pole. And if you worry falls down then change the velcro tape on pole section. It gets stiff.

I don't like K-tek model because locking system was two point and easy to loosing there rubber after 1 or 2 years.

And PSC model was really light but it has lots of handling noise. Professional boom operator was not but not for everyone. And their top screw was easy to broke.

VDB was good but old models only. Newer versions joints are weak so easy to pull up whole parts of joint and screw was easy to broke.

And I have Ambient QS pole. It was great but think the price I'll buy QP4140.

Maintenance was important. I think all Ambient boom poles are easy maintenance and durable.

And my experience was heavy booms have less handling noise. Even the beginner boom operator.

Hi, and welcome Lossy: " So I am wondering if anyone can chime in who has had experience with both. "

they are both excellent, and you will have to decide what your own needs and wants are.

Senator, there is no way I am deciding on my boom pole. YOU are deciding for me. It is Christmas time, and YOU are sending one to my house. Very few shopping days left!