Headphones

Nir

Hey guys! I need your advice please, I'm looking for a new headphones.

The Sony 7506 are strong but sounds "so so", the Sennheiser HD25 is much better but I know, sooner or later, I will have the "famous disconnections".

Which one do you use? Any other brand is welcome.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes subjective, . case in point:  I recently purchased a set of  the Sennheisers, They sounded down-right strange to me after using the Sony 7506 for 20 something years, so I exchanged them for the Sony's. In addition, not everyone has the same shaped head, so if one particulate model is physically comfortable for one person, they may  very uncomfortable for the next.

I am still very happy with the HD25.

Recently worked with a boom op who used Bang&Olufsen H6 and he talked very fondly about them. So much so that I went to the B&O Pasadena store to try them out.

They put on a jazz tune and I have to say that they sound very good. They are also very light weight and have memory foam in the padding, so really comfortable. I also like the way they put the connector on both sides, so you can plug in on the left or right as desired. And oh, you can plug another set into the other side for daisy chained headphones! The connector is also at a slight angle so the cable doesn't touch your shoulder and cause noise. Nice. Isolation seemed quite good as well.

If it wasn't for the fact that I am happy with the HD25s, and I also have HD600s and Shure SRH840s for listening to music, I would have plunked down the $399. Yes, maybe when my Sennheisers develop that problem people are talking about...

I spoke with a Sennheiser rep at their booth during NAB about the HD 25-II connection issue. He recommended their new Sennheiser "HD 6". It uses the same capsules as the HD 25 mk II series and apparently has the HD 25 sound. The connections on these new phones look more robust.

I am still very happy with the HD25.

Recently worked with a boom op who used Bang&Olufsen H6 and he talked very fondly about them. So much so that I went to the B&O Pasadena store to try them out.

They put on a jazz tune and I have to say that they sound very good. They are also very light weight and have memory foam in the padding, so really comfortable. I also like the way they put the connector on both sides, so you can plug in on the left or right as desired. And oh, you can plug another set into the other side for daisy chained headphones! The connector is also at a slight angle so the cable doesn't touch your shoulder and cause noise. Nice. Isolation seemed quite good as well.

If it wasn't for the fact that I am happy with the HD25s, and I also have HD600s and Shure SRH840s for listening to music, I would have plunked down the $399. Yes, maybe when my Sennheisers develop that problem people are talking about...

Many of the headphones for music have a "colored" sound and are not flat----I changed from the sony's to the Senn. years ago and love them [better isolation]

J.D.

I'm afraid to switch headphones now because I've learned to know when noise will be too intrusive and when they won't be heard at all. The few times I've tried other headphones than the HD25s, I've become uncertain with that. The HD25s have a compressed quality to them, which brings every noise up, at least that's how I hear it. And in some situations it can be annoying and helpful in others... But I've trained my ears to them, and I can't see myself switching now. Point: You learn. 

I don't know about this Sennheiser connection issue. Spare parts for the HD25 are very easy to get and replace so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I am more annoyed by the Sony 7506 soft pads coming off frequently and I find it a bit fiddly to put them back on

THe thing that's happened to all my HD25s is that the connections will be intermittent, meaning you have to push the cables or bend them where they connect with the cups. I believe the cables and the connectors on them are not the culprit, but the connectors inside the cup. At least that's what I've heard. 

Another thing I really love about the HD25s is that they're so light! And easy to put on with one hand. It's a shame they haven't done anything to address the bad connector issue other than releasing the inferior HD26, IMO. 

i went through a couple sets of the HD 25s.I liked them because I could monitor at a lower volume than the sonys and save my ears a bit.Both had the connector issue.Ended up with the ultrasone hfi700. They dont kill my ears like the sonys and They still sound great after four years of getting beaten.

Dont think they still make them,but they show up on ebay sometimes,would be worth checking out.

you actually can buy connectors which you can solder yourself.

From Sennheiser for HD25's is that? Do you know any more information about this please?

I'd love to solve this HD25 intermittent spade connector problem, I tin the spades with solder every now and then, which lasts for a short while before it's back to wiggling them to get a connection again, but I think it's probably the springs inside the capsule that grip the spades that are the problem.

I've tried Sony's and now HD26's but I don't get on with either of them.

I'm a big Fan of "beyer dynamic" Headphones.

Own a DT-770 Pro since ten years, and a also a DT-250. Very comfortable, maybe a bit big but my ears don't get tired with them which is not the case with a Sony 7506...

Also Veeeery solid, they went in many different places without having a particular care, very reliable!

From Sennheiser for HD25's is that? Do you know any more information about this please?

I'd love to solve this HD25 intermittent spade connector problem, I tin the spades with solder every now and then, which lasts for a short while before it's back to wiggling them to get a connection again, but I think it's probably the springs inside the capsule that grip the spades that are the problem.

I've tried Sony's and now HD26's but I don't get on with either of them.

here is an explanation on how to replace and the manufacturer of the connector:

http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2011/09/building-sennheiser-headphone-cable.html