Headphones

Nir

I prefer the hd25 because they are easy on the ears, have a secure fit on the head and a straight cable coming out the right can.

Coiled cable is EVIL! (:

I never liked the stock coiled cable offered by sennheiser.  because the hd25s are popular with the dj crowd, there are dozens of cable alternatives.  I have had good luck with this cable:

http://www.zomo.de/en/Products/Accessories/Cable-Adapter/Spiral-Cable-for-Sennheiser-Headphone-HD-25-translucent-45m.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never liked the stock coiled cable offered by sennheiser. because the hd25s are popular with the dj crowd, there are dozens of cable alternatives. I have had good luck with this cable:

http://www.zomo.de/en/Products/Accessories/Cable-Adapter/Spiral-Cable-for-Sennheiser-Headphone-HD-25-translucent-45m.html

sennheiser never offered coiled cable.

I don't know about this Sennheiser connection issue. Spare parts for the HD25 are very easy to get and replace so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I am more annoyed by the Sony 7506 soft pads coming off frequently and I find it a bit fiddly to put them back on

Might find double sided tape between the back of the pads and the capsule helps on the 7506. I have the same issue. With the HD 25s the issue is very real. Replacement parts are only a solution if you want to replace the whole capsule. The connection problem is not with the cable or the cable connector.

THe thing that's happened to all my HD25s is that the connections will be intermittent, meaning you have to push the cables or bend them where they connect with the cups. I believe the cables and the connectors on them are not the culprit, but the connectors inside the cup. At least that's what I've heard. 

Another thing I really love about the HD25s is that they're so light! And easy to put on with one hand. It's a shame they haven't done anything to address the bad connector issue other than releasing the inferior HD26, IMO. 

It also could be the capsule is made of very soft plastic which allows the receptacle for the connector to splay out. I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s with thousands of hours of use. Replaced the cable a couple of times but never had an issue with the intermittent connection issue. The housing on the HD 600 and many of their higher end / pro phones are made of very hard plastic, unlike the HD 25 mkII.

I don't know about this Sennheiser connection issue. Spare parts for the HD25 are very easy to get and replace so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I am more annoyed by the Sony 7506 soft pads coming off frequently and I find it a bit fiddly to put them back on

Get yourself a pair of the Garfield Softies. They're a chenille cover that slips over the can. I haven't lost a sony pad since I started using them 4 years ago.

Get yourself a pair of the Garfield Softies. They're a chenille cover that slips over the can. I haven't lost a sony pad since I started using them 4 years ago.

Same here. I've been using the Garfield Softies for five or more years now on my 7506 sets. In addition to protecting and keeping the ear pads in place, they're cool in the summer and warm in the winter. You'll give up a dB or two of isolation as a trade-off though. A small price to pay for the extra comfort and reliability IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

For years I used Beyerdynamic DT 48's. Since they no longer make them I recently bought a pair of Focal Professional headphones after reading some good notices in magazines like Sound On Sound. They were certainly warmer and brighter sounding than the Beyers and had reasonable isolation and solid construction. Cost too was reasonable at $399.00 Cdn. The Focals were ideal for my last project that was a full length doc on big band music that involved some studio recording as well. While listening at home to my stereo system I must say that the Focals sound the second best of the headphones I own. My HiFiMan SE 500's sound better but they are open backed and cost 3 times as much. I was surprised that the Focal headphones were even in the ballpark when compared to the HiFiMan 500's but they sound great for closed back headphones. It will take a little time for me to adjust to their sensitivity to background noise as they sound quite different to the Beyerdynamic DT 48's. They Beyers seemed to have extended range and most times I knew I was hearing far more than was going to play in the final product.

i do mostly field recording and sound effects work...for a long time,my go-to cans have been the audio technica ATH-M40fs.

they are comfortable, fairly light weight,have very good sound representation and have taken quite a lot of abuse without letting me down.  a set of garfield softies are a gift from above...i modded the cable for ease of use with my field recording bag.

the A-Ts aren't the priciest but are well worth a look.

as previously stated-it's all pretty subjective plus what your ear is "calibrated" to.

Hey Margus, my HD25 are taking a beating, and have been looking at the Focal Pro set for awhile now - do you feel that they are durable for field use?  It's not like the HD25 are super durable either, but have been reading about people complaining about cracked plastic on the Focals.

• 3 weeks later...

The Ultrasone Pro series are absolutely the best headphones for what we do! If you spend time in headphones, you need to check these out. Much like listening to good speakers, comfy and- magneticly shielded! A Schoeps, a cooper and Ultrasone 900 equals an incredibly accurate listening experience.

The Ultrasone Pro series are absolutely the best headphones for what we do! If you spend time in headphones, you need to check these out. Much like listening to good speakers, comfy and- magneticly shielded! A Schoeps, a cooper and Ultrasone 900 equals an incredibly accurate listening experience.

I've been touting the virtues of the Ultrasones for years. Most didn't like them because they require you to learn how to listen all over again. Those who took the opportunity to try them and stuck with them during the learning process have sung their praises. I agree that they are the closest to a good set of monitors. My favorite are the HFI 680 model. Gone is the head squeezing from too tight HP's and the compressed sound of many other brands.

Eric

+1 for the Garfields. I loved them when I was using the Sonys, both for comfort and for keeping the ear pads from escaping. I'm using the smaller sized ones with the HD-25s too.

Agreed. It is an inexpensive and effective way of dealing with the nuisance Sony pads that will not stay on. You do loose some sound isolation but in terms of trade-offs the benefits FAR outweigh the negatives.

My set of Garfield covers lie idle in a bin. Like many other people here, I much prefer the replacement velour pads made for the Beyer DT250 phones (only the genuine pads, not the B&H knockoffs). I use the Beyer pads on the Sonys, as well as the Ultrasones, and even on one of my pairs of Remote Audio HN cans.

I prefer the Ultrasones on cart gigs. I first tried them in part due to Eric's recommendation, and they've been my go-to cart phones ever since. To my ears I find they have better definition and accuracy than the Sonys. If I'm mixing music I'd definitely opt for the Ultrasones.

For run-n-gun bag work I still gravitate to the Sonys (with Beyer ear pads, of course).