Eventide giving away software channels trip...but needs iLok software...thoughts?

Jim Feeley

From Eventide's website:

6/10/2014 - Channel Strip plug-in free through July 8th

EVENTIDE ULTRACHANNEL NATIVE CHANNEL STRIP – FREE DOWNLOAD

Dongleless 64-bit channel strip with micro pitch and stereo delay. Today, Eventide announced the immediate availability of its new channel strip plug-in which delivers unprecedented flexibility and sonic control. The UltraChannel™ 64-bit native plug-in for AU, VST, and AAX64 for Mac and PC features micro pitch functionality from our flagship H8000, stereo delays with variable feedback paths, plus two stages of compression, gating, and five bands of parametric EQ. UltraChannel is available as a free download, use coupon code 0F736710 herethrough midnight July 8, 2014. After this promo ends, UItraChannel native will cost $249.

More info, download links, etc here:

http://www.eventide.com/News/Product%20News/UltraChannel.aspx

A screenshot:

UltrachannelScreenshot3.jpg

But note this bit:

UltraChannel does not require you to own or use an iLok dongle, but the iLok License Manager and an ilok.com account are required to use the plugin....Please download and install this software if it is not already installed on your computer.

I have minimal current experience with PACE products. Some people on gearslutz aren't too thrilled with iLok:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/844460-warning-do-not-install-new-ilok-software-102.html

So my questions to the collected wisdom of jwsoundgroup.net:

1) If you have personally used Eventide Ultrachannel, what do you think of it?

2) If you have recent personal experience with iLok what do you think of that? Scary? Useful/necessary (ie- we want to see developers stay in business)? Both?

Thanks! 

For now. As bigger players like Waves jump ship, and smaller players like the Plugin Alliance folks band together, ilok could be on the way out. As long as Pro Tools hangs on it will be a necessity though.

Iloks are a pain in the ass, as are any sort of dongle.  But they are a fact of life in post/studio work anymore.

p

Boy, I was so happy to get ride of those chains of ADB dongles...and then all the USB dongles crammed into little hubs. Guess I still can't get rid of the software alternatives....

BTW- has anyone used Eventide's Ultrachannel...or any of their other software plug-ins? 

• 3 weeks later...

So my questions to the collected wisdom of jwsoundgroup.net:

1) If you have personally used Eventide Ultrachannel, what do you think of it?

2) If you have recent personal experience with iLok what do you think of that? Scary? Useful/necessary (ie- we want to see developers stay in business)? Both?

Thanks! 

The Eventide Ultrachannel sounds okay. Eventide's Micro Pitch Shift algorithms are always very useful. I basically got all of the Eventide plug-ins and use them a lot. I wouldn't pay full price for the Ultrachannel because I got plenty of good channel strips, but I've payed full price for all their other plug-ins, money well spent. I do think it's worth investing in an iLok2 to be able to get the free Ultrachannel license.

Regarding hardware dongles, the first generation iLoks was too large and had a tendency to crack open like newly boiled clams when riding rough in a key chain. The iLok2 dongles are more rugged and can better take the abuse of careless musicians...sigh...

I've been using hardware dongles for many years - iLoks, Syncrosoft/eLicenser, Wibu etc - and have had pretty much zero problems. The only hassle I've had with iLok has been buying secondhand licenses and trying to get them transferred to my account. Some software companies haven't got their own company iLok account properly set up. A couple of "no it's actually you that need to contact iLok, not me" emails and finally the licenses have been transferred to me.

The iLok License Manager had a tough start with customers loosing their licenses etc, but it works fine now. I was packed with work when it was launched and luckily didn't had the time to install the faulty first version. Lucky me... 

And yes, it's annoying when I forget to bring the hardware dongle for a session, but I don't travel much nowadays and can live without my iLok licenses for a day. I do keep an extra eLicenser dongle with a Cubase license, for travel.

The good thing with hardware protected software is of course that the licenses can keep a good secondhand value and reinstalling the software doesn't require a challenge-response code from the Internet. It also enabled the software makers to earn some bucks in a very tough business, lots of piracy and plenty of excellent sounding freebie plug-ins.

Cheers

Fred

Maybe its just me, but I can't find a download link anywhere on their site for the plug-in its self. All I could find was anything you could possibly need for any of their other products, and FAQ/help related things for registering your iLok license, which was for me the easy part.