Lavs made for abuse

AlisonGrayson

I worked on 'Friday Night Tykes" (youth Football in Texas) and went through my B6' in a week. Production went with TRAM's after that no problem. NBC has ordered another year and I'm going to use the same TRAM's until they fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Here is my 2¢..I've used Tram, Sonotrim, COS-11, DPA for more years than I would care to admit. When the B-6 came out I was cautioned by my mic repair tech that they were very fragile and unrepairable so I avoided them. About 6 years ago I bought a bunch of gear from a retiring mixer and several B-6's were included. One thing led to another and I have since purchased many more and have NEVER had a failure at the head of the mic..and this includes fight scenes and rough doc work. I attribute it to two things: 1) I think the inherent low mass of the mic head and cable allows the mic to react to stress like a cable only..instead of a cable with a mic attached and 2) The B-6 works extremely well with the Rycote over/undercovers which again will give up the mic rather than damage it. I think the more rigid mounts like vampires and rubber boots can cause a lot of stress at the mic head.

When you add the Countryman's water resistance and the B-6 ease of concealment to the package, I think they are hard to beat for rough and tumble applications.

I agree with Daniel Brooks, the Voice Technologies VT506WA Water Adventure would be great for this purpose.

"In addition to the capsule protection it has an extremely reinforced cable against sweat, cuts and tearing. As an IPX-7 certified microphone they even endure temporary water submersion. It is particularly suitable for demanding applications such as punishing day-to-day production, sports, rental houses or for environmentally ruthless outdoor shoots. A microphone for the toughest daily productions in the world."

http://www.vt-switzerland.com/en/vt506wa-water-adventure-waterproof-lavalier-microphone

I've recently bought a few and really like how they sound. They come in an Otter Box with quite a few nice mounting accessories. I couldn't tell if they are more rugged than say a COS-11 so far, but the cable and housing of the mic seem to be very durable.

Cheers,

Jürg