SD 664 Mix Bus Level Output Too Low

FILMMIX

I had a job where I needed more than 6 inputs (Mic Level) , so I figured I could use my 442 and link it to my 664 via the xlt a35 cable from Sound Devices. The problem is when using the cable from the mix out on the 442 to the mix in/out of the 664, the level is too low (0db tone from 442 reads Under -10 on 664) When I feed the 664 into the 442, all levels are fine (Tone reads 0db on both machines and the level down the mix bus is fine. Tested this setup with 2 other 442 mixers & 2 other xlt a35 cables.

Has anyone else had this problem? I would love to be able to record the l&r mix on the 664 with the 442 feed.

Filmmix: " Has anyone else had this problem? "

probably others have dealt with this issue, but I'm not even sure it is a problem as much as it is the way it is.

you could and should contact SD for better information...

in addition to their support forum, they have email and telephone

Not sure of the details of your job, but why dont you use the direct outs on the 442 and use channels 7-10 on the 664? Then you can record ISO's tracks if needed and you can match your levels a little more closely while using the faders on the 442.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but this could be a viable workaround...Then everything hits the mixbuss at the same levels etc.

Maybe the Mix out level has been refuced via the firmware. Or, since it's also a tape-out, it may well be at -10 anyway. Just like the main outs have their -10 for tape setting. It will in fact be -14dB down from the line level setting so this may be conform with you "problem"

probably others have dealt with this issue, but I'm not even sure it is a problem as much as it is the way it is.

Good call. Checked with SD & Matt Mayer said There is an issue with the MixBus link between the 664 and 442.

Not sure of the details of your job, but why dont you use the direct outs on the 442 and use channels 7-10 on the 664? Then you can record ISO's tracks if needed and you can match your levels a little more closely while using the faders on the 442.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but this could be a viable workaround...Then everything hits the mixbuss at the same levels etc.

Thought about that, except the direct outs on the 442 are pre fade only and I wouldn't be able to ride gain or fade those channels out completely from my L,R mix. ( Client used LR mix for fast turnaround and didn't have time to use iso's) 

How about using the 442 XLR outs?  

p

Thanks Phil. In hindsight, I probably could of used the line outs, sent them into the 664 on channel 7 & 8, and had full fader level control from the 442 . I was stuck in the thought loop that in order to send the 442 line out into the 664, I would have to do it through a regular input, and loose that mic input (I was running 10 mics) I didn't think of switching the machine to 12 input mode, because I don't own a CL6. However It would of worked with the 442.

At the end of all of this, It  just would have been more convenient if the mix bus cable link worked properly.

Maybe the Mix out level has been refuced via the firmware. Or, since it's also a tape-out, it may well be at -10 anyway. Just like the main outs have their -10 for tape setting. It will in fact be -14dB down from the line level setting so this may be conform with you "problem"

I think the mix bus link (Tape)  in and out levels on all of  the SD mixers is -10 . Feeding the 664 into the 442 through the mix bus was fine. After contacting Sound Devices, they verified that there is a problem feeding a 442 into a 664.