Just barely over 11" so like

Length: 11.2"

Height: 8"

Width: 6.5"

I agree with this. Just a touch bigger to fit the nomad. Rado's antenna mod is nice idea. With maybe two more spots for bnc's for those that have or will have a combiner. It's not rocket science. The perfect bag is very, very close.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the bags have begun shipping and several of you now have the bags, or have seen them we are looking for any and all feedback from you guys.

Which bags are you getting or thinking to get for which gear (what recorder, how many wireless, etc)?

How is the size of the bag? Is it too roomy? Or is it too tight? Too tall? Too short?

How is the build quality? Choice of material?

We are always open to feedback because your opinion counts, after all you are the ones who have to work with our products. And we want to supply you with the best possible bag that we can.

Thanks.

I'm loving my new OR-34, particularly the super-slick "Orca Lift"/sliding strap device that keeps the 788T/CL-8 in place. I'm also fine with the additional 1.25" of space on either side that others have been griping about, since it makes the Select knob/switch accessible and allows for a bit of airflow around the unit... I loaded it with everything I own, and I still had room for the iPad and two additional NP1 batteries. Hopefully I won't need to actually carry that much stuff at once...

The twist-on mechanism with the clunky snaps that hold the "wireless pouches" in place is a little goofy. I would have preferred a twist/lock type of mechanism, but then again, Then again, I don't know how often I would really need to remove them from the exterior of the bag..

Overall, a superb, elegant build and design. The aluminum frame rocks. It's impossible to tip the bag over on either axis, and there's a loop or a D-ring anywhere I might want to put a cable or a carabiner. I was able to quickly secure the loaded OR-34 to the shelf of a PSC cart without any modifications. Looking forward to trying the harness next. Word on the street is that it's great.

Well done, Ofer!

Karl Wasserman

NYC

Heres my 2 shekels worth.. I have the OR30 with a 633 and 2 xSRB5p.... All in all very happy

A couple of improvements i would like

1. The weather cover needs to have the dome clips close to your body and the velcro at the pouch end because at the moment if you want the plastic attached but not over your mixer it gets in the way.

2. The waist belt need a clip/buckle at the rear so with one click you can take waistbelt off but still have it attached to bag by the four carabiners.... I dont want to have to undo and do up four clips everytime i put my bag down.

Apart from that very happy

Ith my new light mini rigsyra9a3a.jpg

Heres my 2 shekels worth.. I have the OR30 with a 633 and 2 xSRB5p.... All in all very happy

A couple of improvements i would like

1. The weather cover needs to have the dome clips close to your body and the velcro at the pouch end because at the moment if you want the plastic attached but not over your mixer it gets in the way.

2. The waist belt need a clip/buckle at the rear so with one click you can take waistbelt off but still have it attached to bag by the four carabiners.... I dont want to have to undo and do up four clips everytime i put my bag down.

Apart from that very happy

Ith my new light mini rigsyra9a3a.jpg

Nice. It is funny how small this bag looks...

Quick question- do any of these fit in Pelican 1510s (with/without foam)? I typically do a lot of travel jobs and throwing my mixer and essentials in a 1510 to carry on planes is ideal. I'm assuming the OR30 fits fine, but what about the 32? Various Petrol/portabrace bags fit but I'm wondering if the rigid structure of the Orca Bags makes it not squeeze nicely.

Quick question- do any of these fit in Pelican 1510s (with/without foam)? I typically do a lot of travel jobs and throwing my mixer and essentials in a 1510 to carry on planes is ideal. I'm assuming the OR30 fits fine, but what about the 32? Various Petrol/portabrace bags fit but I'm wondering if the rigid structure of the Orca Bags makes it not squeeze nicely.

post-8621-0-76421200-1409571789_thumb.jp

I was able to fit an OR-30 in a 1510 (without foam) when I was demoing the bags at Gotham. It took a bit over half the space, but still leaving some space for accessories and whatnot. The OR-32 and OR-34 will not fit in a 1510 because they are too tall and deep.

Now that the bags have begun shipping and several of you now have the bags, or have seen them we are looking for any and all feedback from you guys.

Which bags are you getting or thinking to get for which gear (what recorder, how many wireless, etc)?

How is the size of the bag? Is it too roomy? Or is it too tight? Too tall? Too short?

How is the build quality? Choice of material?

We are always open to feedback because your opinion counts, after all you are the ones who have to work with our products. And we want to supply you with the best possible bag that we can.

Thanks.

Hi Ofer

I received my OR30,harness and waist belt last week,and have spent the week on location using

the bag and harness.

Congratulations on a great design.I have been trying to make a small but  powerful rig and with the sd633 /SRB housed in your bag,I feel Im nearly there.

After 80 hours or so of using the bag/harness,here are are a few of my thoughts on how the bag could be improved for the way I work.

1.It would be great to have a way to quickly clip /unclip the bag from the harness.

The carabiners take alot of time  (and are too small when the bag is under weight)

My thoughts are that there could be buckle clips just back from the carabiners, which while still having 4 clips to attach should be alot quicker than the carabiners.....Or that the harness has clip at the rear so harness and bag can be unclipped together,and stay as one unit.

2. I am finding the harness waist adjuster,does not tighten enough for my 32inch waist...its at the end of its adjustment and is still too loose.

3. The waistbelt could be much easier to get off/on if it had a buckle clip at the rear.

4. The domes on the side of the bag which you unclip when you open the front of the bag  seem to unclip by themselves ,this then puts weight on the zip which is starting to undo of its own accord.

Some velcro instead of clips might help

5.A velcro port to get cables thru to the pouches( I use the pouches for um400 with batt eliminators for my camera hops.

6. I dont think the pocket at the back will be much use because,if you put a np1 in there and tighten the waist it becomes very uncomfortable.I would prefer more space at the front.

7.The dust/weather shield gets in the way....A way to roll it and secure it till you need it would be good.

All in all I am very happy with the bag and your design .I will look at the bigger bags for my sd664 rig.

Hopefully you will take some of my and the other ideas onboard and the V2 will be absolutely perfect.

Regards Ant Nevison

I have the 0R30  and was initially  taken aback when I realized a 411/ srb /411 would not fit across due to strap placement  ! However I figured the srb can sit atop the 411 and I can make the extra space for the battery bud. I really like the feel and weight of this bag.

JHW

post-4437-0-81024900-1410139476_thumb.jp

• 5 weeks later...

post-876-141272019642.jpg

Orca 32 in a Pelican 1510. Not gonna happen.

If you need to get the kit in a 1510, you have to go with a smaller bag. Personally I carry the bag on the plane. Haven't flown with the Orca yet, but The extra space of the PEGZ1 was where I put my lithium containing v-mount batteries. I'll be flying with this bag soon and will see how it goes.

Damn, I was hoping this would go further in size. As I'm around that size as well...

I have the harness and the 32 and am around a 32 inch waist. I was having that same issue and I found if I put the lumbar support down lower so the belt part was closer to my hips I could get it tight enough and have more lower back support. With a heavier jacket it should work well.

Damn, I was hoping this would go further in size. As I'm around that size as well...

I found it smaller than other harnesses around the waist..... but I've also put on a few pounds in the last year. I'm hoping it's more that the Orca is smaller than I grew into them. :/ 

None of the other harnesses I've ever tried fit me in just a t-shirt or button down shirt. Only in a parka or insulated hoodie. I know Versaflex made some smaller ones, but I'm also 6'7", and don't have small shoulders, so that was out of the question. 

In the end, you may need a winter and summer harness. I thought about modifying my Versaflex harness for indoor/summer use, but then it probably wouldn't fit over a coat anymore. When you consider the size differences of a smaller framed mixer in a t-shirt versus a big burly guy in an arctic-grade parka.... of course there isn't a universal fitting model. 

I considered contacting the manufacturers about a custom build. My other idea was to go to one of the people in town that make bicycle messenger bags and have a harness modified. They have the machines, and thread, to sew this materiel and maintain the strength. I never got around to it because I saw the prototypes at NAB and figured I would wait for actual release versions of the newer harnesses. 

Haven't had an issue with my Orca harness fitting me in either a t-shirt or a hoodie (this past week the weather differences in NY have been sort of temperamental), but then again, I'm 6'4" with a 36" waist, so it may not be so much of an issue for someone like me.

I do find myself adjusting the size depending on what I'm wearing though.