• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using the size #3 S-biner carabiners on my Orca Harness. It makes clipping the bag on and off that little bit easier and quicker. They are only rated to 10kg. My Maxx bag fully loaded is about 5kg and my Nomad bag fully loaded is around 7kg. So all should be good.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm considering an Orca 30 bag for my 633 but, as I look at all these pictures, I wonder.  Is there really enough room on either side of the mixer to use standard XLR connectors without "crimping" the cables at hard right angles, or is everyone using right angle XLR's to solve this problem?

Tom

I'm considering an Orca 30 bag for my 633 but, as I look at all these pictures, I wonder.  Is there really enough room on either side of the mixer to use standard XLR connectors without "crimping" the cables at hard right angles, or is everyone using right angle XLR's to solve this problem?

Tom

Most folks are using low profile, right-angled connectors with the OR-30 to avoid any potential stress on the cable / connector.

My main concern about the Orca is the memory card blocked access.

My main concern about the K-Tek bag is the non-removable handles; I wonder if they "get in the way" like my actual Petrol pegz bag handles do...

So for now, since the main gripe I had with my mostly used Petrol 614 bag was that it sagged, I addressed that very problem while waiting to see local soundpeople using either Orca or K-Tek so I can finally chose. And my 614's not so bad now the way it is...memory card access is still a pita though.

If a bag can't work properly with a regular equipment (cables, ports etc) then it's failed. You end up to built and modify your cables, your new expensive bag etc. NO. I don't want a custom low profile, right-angled connectors. NO. I don't want to modify my 350€ bag. Improve it and fix it at lab; before you are going to sell it. Stop trying to make easy money. Thank you.

Vasileious

I don't beleive you will ever find a bag that is perfect for everyone. Unless you go custom there will always be some sort of comprise.

+1 Agreed. Additionally, unless the bag is specifically designed for a specific mixer / recorder, then there will be compromises when using different recorders with the same bag.

On top of that, eeach manufacturer will pursue a different design philosophy. Orca seems to be about compactness and smallest package possible, which comes at a price: the need for low-profile connectors, and potential issues with access to specific parts, media in the case of the 633. K-Tek offers a slightly different design philosophy.

Each user is able to decide what design choices fits them best. And that's the best part, we have options. I tend to align with wanting the smallest package possible, so Orca seems to be working well for me here, even at the cost of low-profile connectors (which IMO are much better anyway).

A bag should at least cover the basics, ie if it's openly advertized for a 633, you should be able to have all the openings right and be able to use it with standard cabling imo.

For the rest, if you use custom cabling and want to shave off more things from your rig it's your choice, THEN get a custom bag for your custom rig.

If the bag is advertized for different models of mixers/recorders then it's another story and indeed, you can't please everybody.

My two pennies.

My main concern about the K-Tek bag is the non-removable handles; I wonder if they "get in the way" like my actual Petrol pegz bag handles do...

The K-Tek handles retract into the body of the bag and sit about 5-8mm proud of the main top frame. I haven't found them get in the way.

A bag should at least cover the basics, ie if it's openly advertized for a 633, you should be able to have all the openings right and be able to use it with standard cabling imo.

But does the 633 actually not fit in the OR-30 with standard XLRs or is it a tight fit? That would make all the difference for me

By the way, +1 on your avatar picture

I don't know, it might be a tight fit; no problem as long as the connectors aren't under stress so it eventually bugs the mixer's connections. My main turn-off with the Orca is access to the memory card; it already bugs me with my 614, I sure don't want another bag with which I have to lift the 633 to get the card out exactly for the connectors-getting-under-stress-along-the-bag reason; there's a lemo and a few other connectors there plus the door itself. But i really dig the removable handles.

Yeah, the pic will be there for a week or so, a little gesture for a major nonsense...

straight xlr & ta3 do work in the orca 30 / 633 … however the flaps of the bag will rest against the cables, rest not crush… it's been ok for me so far and i've been using the bag since the first run hit nyc …

the media door is a lil bit of a pain to access especially with my fat fingers... i usually unplug the tc lemo when removing the cf (no need for the sd) also i found the plastic hook on the rear frame support gets in the way of opening the media door but it can be slid out of the way or removed … i feel the orca is sturdy yet compact, not perfect but i like it better than any other bag i've used... the 30 fits nicely in my 1510 pelican with room for a couple loose extras