World Cup Audio

Twade

Just wondering if anyone is watching/listening to the world cup this year? 

I see bigger rycotes on the ground by the nets, in the corners on the sidelines. 

You can hear it all from the crowd cheer to a kick of the ball. 

Just interested - 

thanks!

I was interested and all excited about the world cup until I read how Brazil is treating the people living in the favelas. They're basically building them away, they even asked Google to delete the favelas from Google maps, and replace them with green hills instead. This probably isn't the first time this kind of thing happens but I just couldn't enjoy the games anymore. Don't know what I can do about it except whine of course and not watch the games.

Last time around there was a big thing about the vuvuzelas, and how they spent a lot of money trying to filter them out.

In always amazed by the quality of the sound in football (the correct term) games

Friend found this article: http://www.sportsvideo.org/worldcup/world-cup-2014-news-roundup/hbs-takes-world-cup-pitch-with-sennheiser-mics/

Here it is broken out - unbelievable! 

Microphones in the twelve stadia / camera team equipment

- 36 Esfera surround microphone systems (36 SPM 8000 stereo microphones; two SPB 8000 processing units)
- 240 MKH 8060 short gun microphones
- 48 MKH 8070 long gun microphones
- 96 MKH 418-S stereo shotgun microphones
- 47 MKH 416 short gun microphones
- 120 MD 46 reporter microphones
- 24 wireless channels of the 2000 Series for boom and spider cam microphones
- 47 wireless microphone systems for camera use (EK 2000 camera receivers, SK 2000 bodypack transmitters with MKE 1 clip-on microphones)
- 47 MD 46 reporter microphones
- 47 HD 25 monitoring headphones

Additional equipment for team news reporting

- 40 camera systems (EK 2000 camera receivers, SKM 2000 handheld transmitters with MMD 935 microphone heads)
- 40 talk-back links (SK 2000 bodypack transmitters, EK 1039 bodypack receivers, HD 25 headphones)

For all those mics the sound should be better than it is. On. tonmeister convention a few years ago the sound supervisornfor the Olympic summer games talked about how he put boom ops on ea h corner of the pitch who would pan after the ball. The sound was amazing, you could hear so much more than just cheering. FIFA could gather some inspiration from NFL sound design/micing techniques.

I think being able to hear anything off the field in a stadium of up to 80 thousand mad screaming football fans is amazing.

I am sure the sound supervisors mixing the games have plenty of experience.

There is a lot more to broadcast sound than just a few microphones around a field.

Geez Lueez... Negative Nellies!... We're talking beer, margaritas, and Mexican food! The game Sunday night is between the USA and Portugal, and, out of respect for human decency, Trew Audio cannot allow any vuvuzellas on the property. Also, if asking directions in Atlanta be sure to use the proper term "soccer" or you'll end up at the Falcon's stadium. Judge the sound quality first hand with some of the finest sound pros on the planet!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/categories/ORTF-Surround

"SCHOEPS is once again the supplier of the main surround microphones as well as stereo and single microphones for recording the audience in all twelve football stadiums in Brazil. A total of 132 SCHOEPS microphones are being employed.

The main surround microphone arrangement in each of the twelve arenas is the SCHOEPS "ORTF Surround"" microphone array. It consists of four CCM 41 supercardioids, which are also professional standards in music and cinema sound recording. The ORTF Surround array provides an optimal 360° spatial representation as well as a very "open" spaciousness which lets the listener sense the dimensions of the arena. This is due in part to the 10 - 20 cm spacing between the individual microphones of the array, which deliver a quality of room sound similar to that produced by a classical spaced microphone pair. Schoeps provides further background information on www.schoeps.de/sport."

4umuqanu.jpg

Might have told this story

Working in TV in the UK 1966 I worked on a live football outside broadcast.

We used a huge 5 foot long ElectroVoice dynamic directional mike on a tripod

I was placed on top of a stand at the Arsenal stadium for the whole match aiming

the monster at the ball

No wonder I decided to become a mixer and sit down!!

mike

http://www.audiomedia.com/broadcast/0003/schoeps-supplies-microphones-for-brazil/1212

The ORTF Surround setup also has an internal heater in order to handle all eventualities such as steady rain or long-term tropical humidity; the array must hang from the stadium roof for weeks at a time. The ORTF Surround array is further equipped with a newly developed rain shield.

New rain shield?

• 2 weeks later...