New Frontiers in Locations

What is an AirBnB ?

Short term private-party rentals of rooms / apartments coordinated by the  airbnb website. Got a room or leaving town for a week? Make some bucks. Need a room? Find it here.

Maybe a step up from Craigslist.

As a location... well, who's responsible for power / parking / noise / non-working appliances / creaky floors...?

A lot of cities are trying to stop AirBNB, but mostly for tax&licensing reasons.

I did a shoot in LA last year and they got us rooms in a big house via AirBNB (for sleeping, not shooting) and it was a lot nicer than all being in hotel rooms. Better neighborhood too.

The shoot Max and I were asked about was in SF.  The legal issues in SF don't have to do with a prostitiution law that I've heard, but about landlord control of who rents their buildings, the collection of room taxes and the impact on resident neighbors who now have transient folks living next door to them in what was supposed to be a normal apartment building.  I know the latter would piss me off if I was paying SF-level rents and now had partying tourists in the next unit over.

philp

The people in the apartment above ours let their place out (contrary to the terms of the lease) for Wimbledon fortnight last year and it was a complete nightmare. Slamming doors, loud TV, noisy kids, late night drinking parties. Hideous.

Best of luck with the shoot...

John

airbnb got me a place to stay for two weeks in London for 200 quid a week last March - when my good friends were out of town working and therefore unavailable.

My first two weeks in February in London were well spent at Gian's and Simon's - with a lot of cooking and fun. 

Unfortunately the place was mis-advertised and turned out to be a smallish room rather than a proper room. With a kitchen (micro, washing machine, hob) next door. there were some hassles - but i got them fixed by the owner who had advertised. it took a couple of days to become fully ok.

these kind of service sites are all over the place now - one can get really good deals. and good for someone like me who can easily cook a meal for himself (and others!) - way better than an el cheapo hotel.

just saying... 

-vin

May I just mention in passing.... that if Vin is coming your way and you get to know about it.... book him into your spare room asap. He is the nicest, most interesting, sound friendly, guest. He also cooks a mean curry and drinks Guinness !!!! An all round asset to have in your abode ;-))

Now - as to Airbnb - I am due to have a weeks holiday in NYC in about 10 days time. There are 5 of us (we are bring rellies, to visit some other rellies) and we booked and paid for an appartment in hell's Kitchen about 3 months ago. Last week the 'landlord'/flat owner/renter, whatever they are called, told us that on account of the tax and whatever they are regulations, he is bailing on us, and made us homeless. So - Airbnb a good reliable system, I dont think so. That said, Airbnb helped us find a rather nicer appartment near Times Square, and got us a knock down price, so at least we are homeless no more ;-))

See you in NYC soon folks ;-)

sb

I can't get behind airbnb etc until they square themselves to the responsibility they have to the communities in which they operate.  This means making accomodations for the concerns of landlords, paying taxes on their income and protecting the resident neighbors of the rentals.   I understand that some folks are getting great deals on temp rentals, but they are doing so on the backs of the other parties mentioned above.  The person renting out the airbnb apartment is not the only person with a stake in this thing, and the other stakeholders will make increasing amounts of trouble for airbnb until the situation is dealt with fairly.

p

Shot a corporate video in a AirBnB location two days ago. The producer did not attain through AirBnB per say, as the poster is a friend of the location scout / manager. It wasn't bad, but the AirBnB poster was also the owner of the entire house we shot in, so perhaps not the common scenario here that is being discussed.

Easy!!!! ????

A couple of years ago I did a Ford commercial at a busy airfield.

Using the All Black ruby team as subjects, I discovered that I had 4 AB's doing a test circuits in a small car

so I used a 702T and two CUB-01's to deal with that whilst I concurrently dealt with a presenter

on the start / finish line with more AB's using my HHB recorder.

Then on to a very hi-tech aircraft hanger to cover the presenter, designers and All Blacks

ad-libbing around the quite large area.

My boom op was rendered useless as it was a multi radio feat.

Easy???  well I did not mention the very frequent light aircraft training and helicopter training

and a small jet aircraft training going on all day!!!

Wow! it was a relief driving away from that in my ears all day!

mike