Setting up a PT11 HD system for Surround Mixing

NCsoundNeil

Hello Everyone

I am a Pro Tools user that mixes primarily TV spots and corporate videos. I have done 3 feature-length projects, and I am now looking to step my game up to the world of Pro Tools HD and learning to mix in 5.1.

I will be using a new mac pro 6-core with PT HD Native (connected via Thunderbolt) along with the HD omni interface. I have a big question as to which speaker system I should select for monitoring my mixes. For stereo mixes, I have been using Yamaha HS-50m's, and they have been great for me. The EQ response is nice and flat, and my mixes always translate well. If I get a good mix on the yamaha's, the mix sounds appropriate from every playback system from consumer-based home theater setups to an iPhone. This is something that I do not want to lose.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some quality studio monitors to do surround mixing with?

Also, I'm wondering if I should take the outputs of the HD omni and go straight into the 5.1 monitors, or, should I run the outputs of the HD omni into a small analog mixer, and then output 6 discrete channels from the mixer into the speakers. I figure that helps with calibrating each speaker's output volume so that pink noise registers at 82 dB at the mix position, but I am not sure if this is the best way, or necessary.

What do you guys think?

Thank you.

You've probably accustomed your ears to these monitors now so why not go the whole way? I still mix music on headphones and even some sound editing on cheap speakers (creative). As long as I know what the differences are and where it will be different sound wise, I'd like to think that I don't need to upgrade. I don't do editing at home in surround though. If I did, I'd probably buy into either JBL or genelec. But most of the time I'm good with my headphones and cheap speakers.

5.1 mixes are a lot more than just the speakers. just get anything you are comfortable with and an industry standard. also depends on the room size and dimensions. 

when you say 'your mixes translate' - you must be able to carry this over to the 5.1 paradigm as well. your claim that you feel the mixes you do translate well into almost every available playback system is quite tall. i would advise you to get this 'ratified' by another senior mixer with much more experience than you have. you may be surprised with the results - and then if you take the criticism well and re-look into what you have been thinking is absolutely perfect, you may see ground to grow upon. I'm not raining on your parade just for the sake of it, but objectivity is difficult to achieve, even for people with a lot of experience. i hope you do not misunderstand my readings of your post. 

however, imho, although i may be conservative and old school here, i feel that the dialog(ue) and foley have to sound good, and so do the LR stereo fx and stereo reverbs from the centre. 

IN total, everything you do has to keep with the narrative and its needs. All depends on what kind of stuff you are mixing. content decides a lot, almost everything in terms of approach. 

my .02

-vin

Thank you everybody for jumping in.

@studiomprd

If it isn't broke... then don't fix it, right!? I hear you loud and clear.

@Olle Sjostrom

Kind of the same. If you've had success with a system, why change? Thank you for the Genelec and JBL mention. Those two seem to be the most logical choices if I were to switch brands. I'm sure a lot of post sound mixers here would vouch for either of them.

@Angelo Waldron

Thanks for the link. Definitely familiar with the Avid Audio Forum. I will look there too.

@Vin

You are right, I will continue to learn and get better until the day I die. For every bit that I know, there are plenty others who know more and can do it better. Everybody here gets the utmost respect from me. 

@Rick Reinke

At this point, I don't have a specific project or scenario that I am preparing a 5.1 mix for. I just feel like it is the next logical skill set that I need to acquire if I want to continue to advance in the post sound realm. But, when thinking about the distribution side of things, it does make me think more about how often I would really need to do it.

What do you guys think: As a freelancer, is the ability to do a 5.1 mix something that you feel is important to learn? It's definitely an added bonus if I end up back at a facility someday that does feature work with distribution deals that call for 5.1 mixes. But beyond that, how likely is it that I will encounter such scenarios in the post realm? 

Lastly, as far as running the outputs directly out of the PT interface into the monitors vs running the PT interface outputs into a small analog mixer that then feeds the monitors, any strong opinions as to one method over another?

Thank you

Also, I'm wondering if I should take the outputs of the HD omni and go straight into the 5.1 monitors, or, should I run the outputs of the HD omni into a small analog mixer, and then output 6 discrete channels from the mixer into the speakers. I figure that helps with calibrating each speaker's output volume so that pink noise registers at 82 dB at the mix position, but I am not sure if this is the best way, or necessary.

What do you guys think?

Mixing in surround is quite different from mixing in stereo and there's A LOT to consider, both artistically and technically. The best source of information is the excellent book: 

"Surround Sound Up and running"

By Tomlinson Holman

Also, you should get a proper surround sound monitor control, there are several brands that offer excellent monitor controllers: SPL, Dangerous Music, Cranesong, Grace Design, Audient, Studio Technologies to name a few. I can't emphasis enough how important it is to have a proper monitor controller, especially when working in surround.

The Yamaha HS50 has never been a favorite of mine, but if they work for you, go for it. The importance of good quality off-axis response is even more important when setting up five speakers in a control room. But feeling familiar with the speaker setup is more important.

Anyway, start with the book and a good monitor controller. :-)

Cheers

Fred

Neil: " As a freelancer, is the ability to do a 5.1 mix something that you feel is important to learn? "

I feel...

it depends.

maybe it would be better to strive to move up the food chain to bigger and better (paying!) gigs in the skill set you are already experienced and comfortable with..? 

what does your current business model suggest..?

going to 5.1 properly is going to cost a bit, and will you be able to make it back, and go on to profit..?

Go straight out of the Omni into the monitors.  The Omni has a built in surround monitor controller that is fully calibratable .