So producer says they want to split the cameras to two different locations tomorrow. One for an interview and the other for recreation with four talent. I'm the only sound guy. She says they have an extra wireless microphone that the interview cam can use. This is a picture of what they handed me. When I stopped laughing, I broke a lectro out of my bag, set the cam up to record audio and wished the operator good luck. Note the MIKE in and out.

post-1487-0-61759600-1404106435_thumb.jp

dewatt: " how they sounded "

with an OK lav, they sound... OK...

they are a major improvement over camera mic's...

our students use them on their early projects, often involving unreasonable expectations, and they typically sound OK; no one watching a project has ever said: 'gee this would sound better if it had been made with Lectro wireless'

dewatt: " how they sounded "

...they are a ; no one watching a project has ever said: 'gee this would sound better if it had been made with Lectro wireless'

That's because they are students who, more than likely, don't know the difference between good audio (and what it takes to get good audio in a variety of situation) and bad audio.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

AT does have a hot new "semi-Pro" offering, though not targeted for most of us:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wls_systems/64268b9dcbed6cfd/index.html 

this digital wireless system features advanced 24-bit operation and three levels of diversity assurance to deliver the amazingly clear, natural audio your digital images demand.

this will compete (well) with the Sennheiser Evolution series wireless...

OK, go ahead, tell me all that is wrong with it.. :wacko:

Senator, you asked for it ;)

2.4 GHz TX are rumoured to not work well in body-worn applications because of small wavelength and body absorption. Because I listened to that rumour I've never actually tried. Anybody here who can report real-world experiences?

At that price point, they look like a fantastic "budget" cam hop solution, competing the G3 stuff heavily.

Back to the MIKE topic: Who can guess the device pictured?

post-6335-0-78281200-1404901545_thumb.jp

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wls_systems/64268b9dcbed6cfd/index.html 

this digital wireless system features advanced 24-bit operation and three levels of diversity assurance to deliver the amazingly clear, natural audio your digital images demand.

this will compete (well) with the Sennheiser Evolution series wireless...

Well for one, this quote from the sales brochure:

"Also, as the receiver operates in the 2.4 GHz range, it remains completely free from TV interference at all times."

While it may be free from TV interference, it will be interfered with by every WiFi Router, Smart Cell phone , Tablet and Laptop within 200 feet.  Not to mention Microwave Ovens and almost every wireless Focus and Zoom control.

Doesn't mention the latency.  How much is there?

Courtney: " it will be interfered with by every WiFi Router, Smart Cell phone , Tablet and Laptop within 200 feet.  Not to mention Microwave Ovens and almost every wireless Focus and Zoom control. "

While it is true that there is a lot of stuff in the 2.4 GHz band, it is also true that it is a decent sized band, and lots and lots of stuff is routinely, and successfully working well in that spectrum, including some wireless microphones and even some equipment "we" use...

Would be nice to have an inexpensive 2.4ghz option for when your camera friends decide to bombard the camera hop with their video TX in the broadcast channel range. As a cam hop or boom plug, it would eliminate a lot of my primary concerns with a 2.4ghz entry level system.

Many Zaxcom guys put their stuff in a nice little spot of the 2.4ghz spectrum in a band above or below the range most wifi stuff looks at. If these have access to the same bandwidth, then that seems like a good option as a first choice. RF Explorer would be helpful as well.

I guess the question is "how's it sound". And yes, about that delay.