USA do I need working permit?

Dennis Kersten

Hi Dennis. You do need a visa 100%, coming from any country of the EU and UK. The visa free agreement is only for tourism and business, but working is not business. Careful with the journalist visa, it allows you to work only "if the material being filmed will be used to disseminate information or news". You might need another type of visa. check this page http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/media2.html

Good luck  

Still, have the letter.

I was crossing the US/Canada border quite often a few years ago, each time with a letter that was looked at sometimes, but not every time and no problems.

The one time I did not have a letter (producer had it, was flying out of a different city, wish I had a PDF copy!), a letter was asked for, and it raised some flags.

You don't want raise flags at border crossings.

And have a carnet.

R

Ive also done it a lot (from Canada) and all I had was a carnet and a letter explaining that its for a Canadian broadcaster. Nobody has ever asked to see this letter.

Okay I need a journalist visum and a carnet (just spoke with production). Production only pays a part of the carnet (because I can use the carnet a year long).. Is that reasonable…I'm making costs for their production and their not paying my costs 100%… ? Other productions paid for the whole carnet…

Okay I need a journalist visum and a carnet (just spoke with production). Production only pays a part of the carnet (because I can use the carnet a year long).. Is that reasonable…I'm making costs for their production and their not paying my costs 100%… ? Other productions paid for the whole carnet…

Not reasonable.

Production should pay the full cost of the carnet.

A carnet is a required to transport your gear across international borders, and is a fairly easy process to get and usually makes things go much smoother (saves production time) when you have the proper paperwork. To prove this, try taking your gear to a non-carnet country. One big mess, because NO one knows what the rules are.

Have them cost out a transport company shipping and handling your gear for you internationally (first question: iswill be if the gear is carneted?), and all of a sudden having you schlep your gear with a carnet through an airport with a carnet and excess baggage costs et al will seem cheap in comparison.

Making required documents some kind of externality that 'they don't pay for' is not fair.

R

From the UK to the US you will require both a carnet and a Visa. Visas have become increasingly difficult to obtain and necessitate a visit to the US Embassy for a pre booked interview. The States have been tightening up on many things including the suitability of the programme being filmed - there have been issues with material deemed 'entertainment' rather than documentary.

Carnet should be 100% paid for by production as should the Visa although you will then be free to use the Visa on further work visits for its duration.