Backup software

Dennis Kersten

Carbon Copy Cloner works very well for me and has user scheduling but it doesn't do the Bootcamp partition.

I've never been able to find something that does both the HFS and an NTFS partition in one hit.

Here's the CCC explanation of some of the challenges in making a working backup of a bootcamp partition

No, CCC will not create a bootable backup of your Windows volume.

Creating a bootable backup of OS X is mostly trivial.

For Windows, there are numerous tweaks that have to be made — you must update the boot sector of the root target device to point to the correct start sector of NTFS volume, the boot.ini may need to be updated with the slice number of the partition, you have to restore the MBR, you must synchronize the GPT and MBR partition tables. Windows Vista+ has yet more requirements.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a big fan of Carbon Copy Cloner for a long time. It's only for Mac, though.

Regarding Time Machine, keep in mind that it doesn't create bootable backups, which is quite a pain. I create system drive clones with Carbon Copy Cloner such that if my system drive dies I can pop in the backup in it's place and keep working like nothing happened. You can't do that with Time Machine. On a personal note, I find the interface quirky and I don't like that it doesn't maintain the same file structure as the original master. I do have Time Machine running automatic audio drive backups for a couple of clients who I know wouldn't be as diligent about it otherwise but generally I turn Time Machine off as soon as possible. 

I'm using trial of CCC right this moment as I upgrade my media backup volume from a RAID-1 to RAID-5 and dumping data to my server.  I have to say, it seems to be doing a great job, as the job is done in batches here and there and nice to know it can compare volumes and make a bit for bit copy over time and under changing conditions.