For all the JWSOUND drummers

al mcguire

Fantastic! The amazing balance between "business" and "music" --- the understanding of the music, the demands to do these demos quickly and efficiently, I really liked the insight into how it is all done. The musical shorthand, always fun, when he says "let me punch in right after the 'pretty woman thing' I just thought of" --- we all know exactly what he means when we hear that familiar drum pattern --- I love this!

and punch ins are easy nowadays with pro tools. Back when I was doing them it was destructive, so the engineers had to be right on with it. With pro tools you just copy the tracks real fast, arm them and boom. ready to go. If it's good, edit it in to the master drum track. 

• 6 months later...

Razoring 2" comps is a lost art. I had my butt saved by one of those wizards way back when during my full-time drumming days.

When I was in college Pro Tools was really taking off. Even though everything was digital, my prof made us do a project where we had to actually cut analog tape. I actually really liked doing it. 

Oh my… Now I feel like coming from another side of the history...

In some classical music session I was making hundreds of cuts on ¼" tape, with the director showing me where to cut on the partition… (- "I don't like that F sharp in bar 187 on the 21st take, let's use the 14th take it was better" - "Yeah, sure…")

And the look from the advertisement guys when I was cutting the 2" master tape...

Those where the days, but frankly, when it comes to edit, I love Pro Tools.