ERX 2 rx

Prahlad Strickland

good enough for a boom op?  for wireless boom

also anyone know with the zax camera link if i'd be able to hook up a boom op via the zaxnet,  and be able to interupt the boom feed without it also going to the camera?

I'm thinking not?,  since I think it just has a dual input,  not a 3rd dedicated to zaxnet audio...?

Laddie: " 12khz is quite low if that's the low pass "

that is subjective...

" Are they strictly scratch track or is the audio somewhat useable. "

that is also subjective...

and please remember how long movies were made with an upper frequency limit of <10kHz...

and what the upper end frequency of human speech is...

and what the Zaxcom premium wireless' RF top audio response frequency is, and how great they sound...

and all the mic's that we used to use with response that topped out at not much more than 12kHz...

A story related to me last week was that Peter Jackson used the ERX2 for critical monitoring of tracks during the production of the Hobbit movies.

The frequency limit of the ERX is not a factor in IFB systems. It is the systems low distortion, absence of noise and direct digital transmission from the Nomad or IFB200 that makes the difference. Just keeping the entire system digital and eliminating multiple A-D and D-A conversions before transmission is a big plus. 

Glenn

Has anyone found any issues relating to reception to be an issue, the show I'm currently working on the cameras each have 2.4Ghz transmitter on them at half a watt for producer monitoring the video signal. With my 1 watt 2.4 zaxnet antenna I can't really reach them from a 50-100ft distance with a solid audio track for scratch. YES I did frequency coordinate the wifi frequencies...there are no intermod or other issues besides possibly receiver desensitization...is there anyway to attach a wifi duplexer? Attaching the transmitter and the ERX to a duplexer and then go through one antenna?

Tim,

Many people use antenna amps to increase range for their 2.4ghz tx.

In my experience using an ifb100 at 100mw, I tend to have the stronger signal than the camera video sends, but I recommend to the camera dept to use tx in the 500ghz range instead of 2.4ghz for obvious reasons aside from my amp.

Tim, I have been quite happy with the reach of my 1 watt system. The show I'm on now has 2 cameras with 2x 2.4ghz systems ea (video & preston) and I'm running 2 channels also.

I'm running an ifb100 for my boom operators, and that sometimes falls short. The 1 watt has given me great coverage. It fell short when I was in a shed in the woods with video village about 500 feet away with a small hill between us, but picture didn't reach there either.

A story related to me last week was that Peter Jackson used the ERX2 for critical monitoring of tracks during the production of the Hobbit movies.

The frequency limit of the ERX is not a factor in IFB systems. It is the systems low distortion, absence of noise and direct digital transmission from the Nomad or IFB200 that makes the difference. Just keeping the entire system digital and eliminating multiple A-D and D-A conversions before transmission is a big plus. 

Glenn

What about the Camera link?

does that also have the same transmission strength as the nomad or IFB200?,  or is it outputting a lower .mw output?

Laddie: " 12khz is quite low if that's the low pass "

that is subjective...

" Are they strictly scratch track or is the audio somewhat useable. "

that is also subjective...

and please remember how long movies were made with an upper frequency limit of <10kHz...

and what the upper end frequency of human speech is...

and what the Zaxcom premium wireless' RF top audio response frequency is, and how great they sound...

and all the mic's that we used to use with response that topped out at not much more than 12kHz...

Very good point.  I'm very happy with the 16khz that the trx900's stamp,   with the DPA 4063,  i'm very happy.   

Yes zaxnet audio is always summed to mono. In the camera link menu you can chose to send a mono mix, left input only or right input only.

or from a Nomad you can choose to send a specific mix to the ERX (like maybe just the boom and mixer talkback). A few people have said they use the Nomad internal ERX to feed audio to a boom op and another IFB200 or CL to send audio to the camera. Same thing you would do with any other monitoring system that wanted private talkback and/or specific mix to a boom op. 

You almost can't compare the ERX to other IFB systems. It's fully digital and sounds amazing. You might not get the range of a Comtek, but you get the incredible sound quality. I still own a bunch of Comteks and hand them out to the masses, but when I have a director or scriptie that really needs to hear things, I give them an ERX.

Total tangent, I wonder if some people have a hearing loss that makes certain systems sound bad to them. I have had some curse Comteks, but I have also worked with field producers that HATE Lectrosonics IFB and prefer a Comtek 216. Everything was set up right and sounded fine to me. Maybe it's just preference, but I wonder if there is some chance they have a hearing loss and a given model lands in their lost range. Total guess there. 

Laddie, the answers to your questions: 973.835.5000

also 24/7 email tech support

i'm going to be honest...  sometimes i've asked questions at support,  only to get much more thorough and cross referencing answers on here.   Their support is amazing,  and they always answer. But they aren't always in the field like the fine gentleman on here.

e.g.  Jack responded,   then Johnpaul chimed in,  and both guys supplied me with info that crosses into answers + field experience.    

I also like to ask a few questions,  then i'm usually satisfied for a month or so.   I'm seasonal, so you don't have to worry, I won't fill up the forum to much.

It's good to get some help from members here.

It's even better if you download the manuals first and try and find the information yourself.

This may even influence your initial questions, and you are more likely to learn more.

It's good to get some help from members here.

It's even better if you download the manuals first and try and find the information yourself.

This may even influence your initial questions, and you are more likely to learn more.

I have read the maxx manual a few times, and it's revisions.  The same with the camear link manual.  I could not find the answer to my question in their regarding the .mw output power of the zaxnet transmitter.

I agree with you though,  and I may have missed something in there.  But i'm definately a manual junky