Odd noise

Hey guys,

Was on a shoot the other day and during an interview had what I could only describe has a repeating hissy pop that came up on the mic. It definitely wasn't anything in the room. It was only on my boom channel:

Sanken CS3e cabled to a 633 on channel 1. On battery power. 

The sound did not occur on my lav tracks, only boom and mix. 

It only occurred in a few instances during this interview, not before in the day and not in interviews afterwards.

Here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4959721/Weird%20Noise.wav

Let me know if this sounds familiar to anyone, just wanted to track down the source to start troubleshooting. 

Thanks. 

Weird Noise.wav

Without having done the usual troubleshooting/substitution/process of elimination tricks, my first guess is an RF device stepping on ya.  Security, Communications, Laboratory, Nuclear manufacturing, Tesla Coil, Tazer Attack, Medical Scanner, Dr. Evil Death Ray, or even some weird Nextel type device in your interviewees pocket. A strip search of talent and crew is sometimes necessary.

Where were you physically and who was the interview?  You moved locations and talent and the phenom didn't return?

I'll wager a cocktail of substantial breeding that it was environmental. 

All the interviews took place in the same room in the United Center in Chicago, so lots of things going on in the air, though I've been there before on game days when there's way more activity and never had this. The frustrating thing is I haven't been able to duplicate the problem, it came, it went, and hasn't happened again. 

Just curious if it sounds familiar to anyone's ears.

Is your CS3e an earlier SN # than 2792?   If it is, has it had the RF mod done to it (@ the XLR connector)?  This mod has made a lot of diff in how my older CS3e has dealt with RF--ie it's better now.  From hearing the sound, and the OP statements that it wasn't constant I'd agree with RF being the cause.  Phantom or humid issues usually are more constant, once they start.

philp

CS-3eModificationMarch2010.pdf

My RF/EMI visualization glasses (I made that up) see flying RF daggers and an occasional grenade all over a place like a convention center.   Each silicon junction in any of our electronic devices can behave like a radio/RF receiver.  Because microphones operate at a tiny voltage (48 volts PH is more like the drumhead tightening screws) it is a very great trick to build a microphone that is immune from RF.  Inductive/Capacitance RF suppression  is one of the black arts of analog design. Homeland Security probably increased their RF horsepower after the Boston Bombing.  I am always thrilled when the system works in a public venue or military station.

How close was everybody's iPhone to the mic, the noise seems to have a pulse. Perhaps unknown to you the interviewee had a iphonein a breast pocket.

DVX user posted this

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?133811-Sanken-cs3e-and-rf

Also how was the humidity where you were recording? Did you go from cool to hot and humid?

It's always good to have an old 416 as a back up.

I'd go with Dave's notion that it was some Big Nasty Governmental RF source or etc that was causing the issue. esp if this mic already has had the RF mod done.  I haven't had much of any probs with celphones in recent years, even right next to the mic, but other bigger RF sources certainly intrude.

philp

Dave: " Without having done the usual troubleshooting/substitution/process of elimination tricks, "

... I find no reason to even speculate...

Nick-Ray: " The frustrating thing is I haven't been able to duplicate the problem, it came, it went, and hasn't happened again"...

...but only to remind that "CRAP happens".

SMM..... But, there are reasons to muse, ruminate, reflect, theorize, ponder, contemplate, hypothecate, or meditate. I agree that speculate has a negative tone to it, and usually results in overripe produce being flung.  

OOOPs... A Poem to end speculation..... a little gross tho

Never to speculate

I resolve to 

fling my dung

no further

I shall cup my hands

and savor the dung

not flung