Windshield for oktava ms rig with short shotgun

cinetj

Having already a few oktava capsules on my kit, I've got very excited by reading this article from Charles Maynes: http://sepulchra.com/blog/?p=2061

I'm going to buy the figure 8 adapter for this. My main intention is to use this set up for documentary work, with a short shotgun mic as the mid (a 416 or my new CS3E, the last being a long shotgun in small package).

I'll get a 2 xlr 3 pin female - 1  5 pin xlr male connbox as well and a rycote stack clip as sugested by Maynes on his article.

The only doubt I have is if my rycote winshield 4 will have the height to accomodate both mics. Anyone using this set up that could chime in? If the winshield 4 is not appropriate, what are you using?

img_3509.jpg?w=400

use the Rode windshield. I think Zack was the first one who used this setup. Mind you, the kit will be too heavy to swing well on a boom, I only use it with the pistol grip. Doesn't fit in a Rycote. Not too high but too wide. Sounds very nice even though the figure-of-eight capsules are quite far apart. The double clips are Rycotes. If your cables aren't too thick they will fit through the Rode's hole, so need for more weight using adapters.

I use the Rode setup for my MKH 50/30 MS rig as well and I'm pretty happy with it for ambiance and SFX use. If you get the rycote clips from redding audio for the older rycote suspensions that used rubber bands then the mics can sit centered vertically instead of being justified to the top of the blimp.

Also, since the Blimp works well with stereo setups I've sent them some messages about releasing a shorter length main section and gotten no reply. As it's sold, it's longer than ideal for most MS setups and too long for shorter mics but otherwise a decent rig. Maybe we can get them to make a shorter one with some additional feedback from others.

Edited by Shawn D

Here's 2 pics of the elastic Rycote stereo mounts on a Rode Blimp with a MKH 50/30 M/S pair.  Centering the pair and compensating for front or rear loading can be achieved by using small elastic bands (ordered from Redding from the Rycote catalogue I believe) and moving around the elastic contact posts on the Blimp's mounting rings. This configuration works well for me.  Only thing is the Blimp is a bit too long.

post-4345-0-47055600-1406850821_thumb.jp

post-4345-0-93482600-1406850828_thumb.jp