Portabrace now make custom audio bags.

After the huge response and great level of constructive input that I received working with the JW users, Portabrace are now pushing forward with a custom audio bag service. 

The concept of custom bags is by no means a new one. But after reading through all of the feedback regarding the AO developments, it is clear that more options are needed to cater for the thousands of different equipment setups and personal user requests and preferences. 

I will work directly with anyone requesting a custom or modified bag, and I look forward to developing some new products and ideas along the way. 

Thank you,

Adam

Neat. As I think we chatted about at NAB, I'm interested in a left-handed SS-A1 or SS-2 slinger. Interested in, but not yet totally committed to. Basically, all the same features (and perhaps the same cut pieces), but sewn so the strap rests on wearer's  left shoulder and the bag part hangs on the right side. (Just flipping a standard slinger doesn't seem optimal to me).

I would think there's at least a small market for left-handed slingers, beyond just me. But perhaps it's just me.

Anyway, looks like the Slingers retail for $175 or so. Just ballpark, and assuming that this wouldn't require too many custom pieces, how much extra would a left-handed Slinger cost? An extra $100? $300? More?

If that's too difficult to answer in a casual forum post (and I understand that it very well might be), what are the general guidelines that PortBrace will use to determine how much customizing a bag will cost? Hourly labor fee beyond base product cost? Other? 

Thanks! 

Jim: That's interesting because bicycle messenger bags are generally as you mention. Strap on left shoulder and bag on right side. The "lefty" messenger bags are in the PortaBrace setup. I did a Run&Gun show with a 302 and carried it in a bag "messenger style" with the mixer on the right hip. Worked well because the boom cable goes into the left side of the 302. I wonder if PB designed this with a specific mixer in mind and put it like that for the boom input ports. 

Good news. I am the owner of a Zuca trolley (seen on jwsound ;-) ).

I really like it for light cart job. Its weak point is the bag... I would really like to have a "PortaBrace" style for it.
Maybe they are some others Zuca owners on jwsound that would also  like to change the bag ?

I also would to buy a PortaB handle (the same that the one provided for The 633 bag) for my 788ARCL8 bag.

Thanks

Jim: " If that's too difficult to answer "

of course it is.

custom work is typically by quotation.

" what are the general guidelines that PortBrace will use to determine how much customizing a bag will cost? "

and of course, that depends,  but certainly materials, design resources, overhead, and certainly profit will have to be included.

Neat. As I think we chatted about at NAB, I'm interested in a left-handed SS-A1 or SS-2 slinger. Interested in, but not yet totally committed to. Basically, all the same features (and perhaps the same cut pieces), but sewn so the strap rests on wearer's  left shoulder and the bag part hangs on the right side. (Just flipping a standard slinger doesn't seem optimal to me).

I would think there's at least a small market for left-handed slingers, beyond just me. But perhaps it's just me.

Anyway, looks like the Slingers retail for $175 or so. Just ballpark, and assuming that this wouldn't require too many custom pieces, how much extra would a left-handed Slinger cost? An extra $100? $300? More?

If that's too difficult to answer in a casual forum post (and I understand that it very well might be), what are the general guidelines that PortBrace will use to determine how much customizing a bag will cost? Hourly labor fee beyond base product cost? Other? 

Thanks! 

Hey Jim,

As we move forward with the first custom designs and creations, I'll have a better idea as to what you can expect to pay for the various modifications and or changes made to the products. The work flow and instructions are available through the website. The custom audio bag option is currently under the Organizers menu. I will have a separate dedicated page setup for that soon. 

Refining this design and quoting process over the next few weeks will definitely enable me to give people a better idea as to what they are likely to pay.

I will look into the cost of that lefthanded slinger for you.  

I am planning on making various custom bag pictures and prices available on the website for everyone to see. 

Thank you. 

Good news. I am the owner of a Zuca trolley (first seen on jwsound ;-) ).

I really like it for light cart job. Its weak point is the bag... I would really like to have a "PortaBrace" style for it.
Maybe they are some others Zuca owners on jwsound that would also  like to change the bag ?

I also would to buy a PortaB handle (the same that the one provided for The 633 bag) for my 788ARCL8 bag.

Thanks

That looks like something we could absolutely do for you.

http://www.portabrace.com/products/audio/organizers/1157-custom-audio-bag

Ok, so the custom enquiries have started rolling in. I've had some really great feedback, so thank you to everyone. Things are going very well. I thought it may be beneficial to share a few Q&As that have come up in conversation. 

Q. Can I totally create a one off custom design? 

A. Absolutely, we will consider all custom enquiries. Please consider though that the increased design and labor time will be reflected in the price. 

Q. If me and a group of friends buy two or more of the same bag design, will that be cheaper?

A. Yes. Larger orders allow us as the manufacturer to give you a much better price. If you have a group collaboration design, we can 

guarantee a lower cost. 

Q. Am I able to take a current bag design and simply tweak it into a custom variant. 

A. We encourage taking a design that we already have and customizing it to your specific needs or taste. With the bags frame already complete, making changes to various parts of the bag is a great way to keep your costs lower. 

for example:

Shortening, lengthening or removing handles. 

Increasing or decreasing the size of pockets. 

Creating a custom modular side for an AO.

Attachment points and D-rings. 

Access points and cable openings. 

Q. Can I add or incorporate different fabrics, and or different styles of hardware to my bag. 

A. When designing or making changes to the bags, you will be given as many different hardware and material options as we have available. But, the design and characteristics of the bag will be in keeping with our other bags. 

Q. Can you make bags in different colors. 

A. We have various colors available, including camo fabric. 

I hope this helps and also encourages a few people to go the custom route. I will definitely keep posting in the weeks to come. 

Thank you all for your interest and support. 

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Hi Jim, so now I've had time to run through some different alterations and scenarios I'm able to tell you that your left handed slinger would simply be an additional $50. There would be no design time, simply the additional cost of creating the reversed prints and completing the order separate from the other slingers.

Thanks