SD 633 vs. 702/788

paco de colonia

Hello,

i´m classcal recordist and i want to make excellent recordings of small ensembles/solists with

a very little setup.

In 2012, i ´ve done a film job with the 702 and was very content with it.

Are the micpres and AD/DA of the 633 in the same class or is there a remarkable difference?

Thank you for your answers

Paco

They are going to be in the same class. As you can imagine, being made by the same company, and designed with film and television in mind, they are extremely quiet mic pres with little harmonic distortion, excellent S/N ratio, and high dynamic range. All of this can be found by checking their manuals too :)

If you like the SD sound then you'll be happy--the diffs between the SD pres are very small.  If you want something "more" out of your pres, color, presence, air etc etc then you'll want to look into external pres.   I've done a good deal of music work now with both 7xx and 6xx series SD and was very happy.

philp

Did a full orchestra recording with my 664 on it's first outing

Just 4 tracks

AKG cardiod pair high over the conductor

A Sanken stereo pointed to the rear of the concert chamber

Mixed and mastered by a friend and quite a stunning result

Yes the SD products certainly deliver!

mike

Hi Paco,

The 702/788t series pres will outperform the 633 pres for that use. I love my 633, It truly is a powerhouse mixer / recorder in production sound for capturing dialogue but not the best choice for music recording when compared to the 7 series.

My reasoning is the noise floor on the 633 will show up a lot sooner. I know this from real world testing and most importantly playing back in the studio monitors. Also the 633 may sound a bit bright, and not as warm and full as the 702/788t. But of course the sound of the pre is subjective to each person, but the signal to noise performace is not.

I know this from real world testing 

and of course reading the technical specs in the manual would give us a hint as to the actual real life numbers in regards to S/N ratio, total harmonic distortion, dynamic range, etc. Just a few things that people used to look at before considering a mic pre.

Just a few things that people used to look at before considering a mic pre.

Call me an optimist but I like to believe most audio pro's still do, especially before spending valuable time or money doing real world testing or purchases. This is the beauty of demos from the usual suspects. For us I'd say "hearing" is believing.

What I know is that I have never heard or been bothered by recorder hiss with the 7xx series.

And with the kinds of specs we see in either of these series of machines, it is unlikely that you ever will, unless your gain structure is off

Hi Paco,

The 702/788t series pres will outperform the 633 pres for that use. I love my 633, It truly is a powerhouse mixer / recorder in production sound for capturing dialogue but not the best choice for music recording when compared to the 7 series.

My reasoning is the noise floor on the 633 will show up a lot sooner. I know this from real world testing and most importantly playing back in the studio monitors. Also the 633 may sound a bit bright, and not as warm and full as the 702/788t. But of course the sound of the pre is subjective to each person, but the signal to noise performace is not.

you wouldn't have any audio examples of this difference would you? i'm circling the 633 at the moment. . . Thanks.

I own the 633 and 788t . The 788t is a better machine, but I can't haul it around- as well as the batteries for it - so I've taken to using the 633 for recording interviews and "run & gun" days to save my back. I'm learning to love the 633, but the 788t, beyond having better mic pres, has better metering, better file security (record simultaneously to 3 storage devices) and you can turn on or off the limiter for each input - which you can't do on 633. Did we mention the 7 series mic pres are better? (PS don't dump your old 744t right away , it's a great recorder. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

probably because you can read the led metering in any kind of light?

Yes, I do find it easier to read the LEDs on the 788t than the 633 LCD screen. Also on the 788t you can customize the meter scale and set it as a favorite mode, useful if you are wanting to carefully watch your peaks on highly dynamic sounds.

The 633 is using +20 dB as it's top of the scale. It's taken some time for me to get used to this scale ; I've been looking at 0dbfs scales on various machines for years now. Not a fault of the 633 really, just a human struggling to adapt issue...