Boom op kit rental

jaydgolden

Mixer kit rental has gone down, rates are more by the book, and what used to be customary has become rare.  While a boom kit rental used to be relatively common, it hasn't been so in a few years.  That's why as a mixer I provide everything needed for the job, including 2 good boom poles, boom stands, good headphones, etc.  Anyone I hire is welcome to use my gear and I also have a very good collection of different wiring accessories to accommodate the various different ways boom ops like to wire actors.  This way they are using my expendables also.

Camera assistants usually get about $150-$200/wk for their carts and AKS bags, which usually include quite a few things.  But I have heard some of these guys having to fight to get their kit rental too.

Robert

Guest Ken Mantlo

I just ended a show where I got $200/wk.  In order to get it, you have to go in at the beginning.  Your not going to get it after the shoot has started.  Also, they're going to ask you "we're paying the mixer a box rental,  why do we have to pay you one?"  The answer has to be better than " 'cuz I want one too".  I always tell them that the mixers equipment is for what he does best - mixing.  I need my gear for what I do best - booming and mic placement.  I get hired because I'm good at what I do and these are the tools that I need to do it correctly.  What good is a mixer if the boom op. can't do his job correctly. 

When the producers go to the mixer about this, the mixer should back him on it instead of cutting the legs out from under him by saying "I've got all that stuff".  They should say, "He's right.  He's good at what he does and he needs his gear to do it."  It's all in how you ask.

By the way, you better run this by the mixer before going to the producers.

Of course, you're not going to get it everytime and probably not on low budget stuff, but you'll never get it if you don't ask.

Share the wealth, boom men have families too.

Hey guys,

it seems that TV show boom ops get a kit rental. at least the ones I have dealt with the past several years. not as much in feature films. (correct me if I am wrong here)

but ya, damn right Kenny, spread the bread. let those boom ops get there fair share. it keeps everybody happy. boom poles aren't cheap.

secondly as Kenny said make the deal before you start, don't take anything for granted ,my buddy went into a show assuming he would get the boom op box kit rental he had the year before, sorry- it was to late and "budgets" were set. the mixer actually gave him a boom op kit rental out of his weekly rate.

take care guys.

• 4 years later...

Boom rental can be a way to negotiate a better rate, i bring it up in the rate negotiation, and I think production managers like it because it's not "on the clock" so I always prefer a higher rate than a boom rental, but if need be it's good to get. I also think it gives them more options in where they get the money from in the budget and quite often the rate can be stuck at a level relative to other positions, so the rental is free of those constraints. I've heard quite a few times in negotiation "I can't pay you any more because then you'd be getting more than ......" therefore rental is the option.

Edit:

Always get it in a deal memo :)

Doug Cameron that booms on my team usually gets around $150.00 per week for his kit. Which includes 5 Ambient poles, with quick releases and the Boom Caddy 5000 (said with the monster truck voice over) A picture can be seen in the JW gallery. Sounds like we need to start asking for $200.00 per week.

Whit