ERX hard wire timecode jam

fieldmixer

In all fairness to Howy, as he has pointed out to me when I pressed him with a detailed hardware question, he's a software engineer (I would say, "software guru").

Glenn, of course, is the final word on Zaxcom hardware.

I agree that Zaxcom could improve their published info on some of their devices. Again, to be fair, over the last couple of years they've made some noteworthy strides in that area.

In reference to my test findings, they pretty well bear out the one-frame-in-three-hours spec that Glenn stated, with only one of my five a bit more than that, but still rock solid accurate for the few short times when the camera may range away from my IFB100 (cart), or Nomad (bag).

I have faith in my Denecke reference, as all of my Denecke units, as factory calibrated, are within a couple of tenths of a frame of each other over a six hour period.

One of the neat things about being a professional is getting to choose the right tool for the job. Yea!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, if the ERX was to be as accurate as a "standard" TC box and jam-friendly as the OP asked/suggested ... Well , that'd be great.

Being able to simply jam a box from the recorder and slap it to the picture-recording unit without relying to some wireless system is great

"Being able to simply jam a box from the recorder and slap it to the picture-recording unit without relying to some wireless system is great"

I don't get it. "Simply jam a box from the recorder and slap it to the picture-recording unit" --- isn't this what everyone already does with the regular traditional sync boxes? If all you want to do is feed TC to a camera, use a sync box --- why get all bent out of shape about a DIFFERENT box, the ERX receiver, that was designed to provide a different feature set? As Glenn pointed out, your basic sync box will do just one thing --- the ERX on the other hand, does things differently ---  the advantages of the ERX (No jaming required, No calibration, No drift, light weight, long battery life, high quality audio reception and distribution, TC display, TC delay, Audio monitoring delay, frame rate transcoding, frame rate remote control, etc., etc.

All Im saying is that if, ***on top of all these unbelievable features the erx already got*** we could simply jam the plastic box the "usual way" , that would make it kind of "top of the crown" for lots of folks.

Is that more acceptable ? Pompous enough for the brand's legacy ?

Sorry about that ; yeah, I went over the top ... I meant "if" (we could simply...) . If...

Wasn't trying to over-criticise, just expressed that I understand why one would want to be able to jam the unit with a cable, "on top" of all the functions the unit has.

If I only have to send a guide track and decide for whatever reason to use a G2 for that purpose , if I can jam an ERX to put TC on the cam, even if it will lose a frame every 6 hours (I'll rejam at break anyway), I don't have to plug a QRX/IFB unit to get zaxnet to jam it; just use the TC cable from my recorder already hanging on the side of the bag to do it.

No big deal, just a remark. I'm leaving the accuracy chapter of discussion on the side (what we can understand from the manual vs what we get in real life) ; just talking function.

I don't need to be re-informed about all the beautiful things the unit can do; I know that; I already own and use one.

And since the only TC box I have right now is that ERX and considering my simple needs, I followed the underlying suggestion and ordered a TigQ28 yesterday. Eager to try it.

"And since the only TC box I have right now is that ERX and considering my simple needs, I followed the underlying suggestion and ordered a TigQ28 yesterday. Eager to try it."

Good choice. I was just about to recommend the new TigQ28 as the perfect solution for a "just jam it and slap it on the camera" sync box. Well priced, small, does the simple task of providing continuous TC reliably for hours and hours. even to cameras that have gone on to the next location.

I will be getting a Q28 for myself for one single purpose --- jamming it and handing it over to anyone else that needs to jam another sync device: give to camera AC or DIT to jam a slate or their sync box, etc.

I don't get it, the Tig has the same plus/minus tolerance as the ERX which defendants claim shouldn't be considered to be a stand-alone sync device. Unless I'm missing something else (and I'm open to hear user feedback on this device still), I will have to go with the senator on this one "get what you pay for".

Edit... ok interesting.. the web now states the ERX is 1.54, I must have gotten my stats mixed up with another device... I thought it was .5 as well before, nevermind.

Glenn, Jack, Howy - does the 1 frame in 6 spec assume drift in either direction? As in if two devices drift half a frame each in an opposite directions you end up with a whole frame difference?

I ask as obviously the manual spec for the ERX currently lists 1 in 6, but Glenn's suggestion of 1 in 3 in unlocked use may be taking the directional drift into account.

From any manufacturer, any two devices, each with a maximum deviation of one frame in six hours, can potentially be as much as two frames apart at the end of the six hours and still be within spec.

This is why I like to:

1) Use a master generator when on the cart.

2) Adjust my Denecke generators, slates, Deva, and Nomad to all be within a few tenths of a frame, of each other, over a six hour period. I recognize that it's overkill, but it makes me feel warm and cozy, so I do it.

But what about drift of the master generator? Or can you sync it to GPS or something similar?

Several of my Denecke devices, as calibrated by the time code gurus at Denecke, were within fractions of a frame of each other. I calibrated my other devices to be in sync with them.

Keep in mind that without locking every device, especially including cameras, to tri-level sync, the closest you can consistently achieve is within a full frame apart, as camera sync will depend upon where in the SMPTE "word" they are when placed into record and at what point they grab the time code for their start frame.

Therefore, I consider maintaining my gear to be within fractions of a frame between any two units to be sufficient overkill to enjoy that warm and cozy feeling I mentioned earlier.