SD 664 SD cards?

Lee Parker

Hi guys I'm new to the SD 664 and recording to cards, I'm thinking of using a larger capacity CF card for my own use and using smaller SD cards to give to clients at the end of the days shooting.

My question is, if I was to be recording 6 tracks of audio for 6 or 7 hours, what size SD card would I need?

Cheers Lee.

Check the audio calculator from Sound Devices.

http://www.sounddevices.com/support/calculator

It depends from sample rate, how many tracks and bit depth.

Have back in your mind the 4GB (3.6GB) limitation. What that means is when a file goes to 4GB, then the recorder automatically create a new file (again with 3.6GB limitation).

In your case for 6 tracks, 48kHz sampling rate, 24 bit depth and 7 hours recording you need 20.28GB card (and more). 32GB, 64GB and 128GB cards will be ok. SD cards are cheap.

Hi guys I'm new to the SD 664 and recording to cards, I'm thinking of using a larger capacity CF card for my own use and using smaller SD cards to give to clients at the end of the days shooting.

My question is, if I was to be recording 6 tracks of audio for 6 or 7 hours, what size SD card would I need?

Cheers Lee.

At 24 bits and 48 kHz, one track will require just a little less than 495 MB of storage. So a very simple rule is 2 tracks for an hour is 1 GB.

This is pretty simple math and there are widely available calculators  to help you figure it out. 

Also, if you think you need one 32 GB card you really need 2. Which actually means you need at least 4.

Best regards,

Jim