Audio for a Prank Shoot

NNSound

Hello Guys,

Last week I had a prank shoot and getting ready to go for the next one on a couple of days. 

It's all outdoors and constantly moving.  One person going to people in a street event like a parade and engaging in awkward consversations.

I used a flower brooch and proped a DPA 4080 lapel mic, pointing out since its a cardioid mic. I had the gain quite up in order to get further away sounds and I also had placed a fully hidden cos11 on the actress with the appropriate levels for her voice. Instructed the actress to go as close to the people as possible but when the prank is not stricktly scripted this cannot always be possible. As expected results were variable and of course I wouldnt expect excelent audio in situations like this but I was wondering if there are any other ideas out there?

Thanks

I think you are probably trying the method used by other mixers in this scenario. A few years back I was doing something similar and chatted to the mixer from the Borat film. He pointed me in the direction of the Ricsonix pin-mic which he'd used on Borat behind his USA flag lapel pin badge for long lens interactions with the public. This design has now been taken over by Rode. It's not as easily hidden, but still a possibility.

Truth is that I've seen the pin-mic on the web when Rode announced it but never used it or know of someone that has one in the UK so I guess it went in the back of my mind and didn't think of it as an option for this project. Looks easier to hide compared to the DPA that I'm using.  Would you think that it will give better results compared to the DPA?  One is Omni and the other cardiod pointing out towards the people that the actress is talking to.  Also location is quite noisy (street event with loads of people and music at points). 

I have tomorrow to experiment before the job but need to see if I can find the pin-mic in London through rental.

Is it feasible for your talent to use a prop that can be miced? I once did a hidden camera show and the talent was taking a "survey" and I was able to conceal a wireless lav in the clipboard. (It was one that had a compartment for documents underneath). She could point it at the talent with no suspicion. Does your talent have something they could hold that has that potential?

Unfortunately there is no prop on this one, it doesn't really fit with the general script.  Some times the actress uses a compact picture camera but this wouldn't help cause she passes it to the people to take picture of her. We thought of using a hand bag at some point but it will be awkward to hold it up and pointing it towards the people all the time. The only prop is actually the brooch that I've added to the actress costume and I did concealed the DPA lav there. 

NN: " Would you think that it will give better results compared to the DPA? "

that is subjective (up to you to determine) as it depends...

The question goes towards someone that maybe has used both mics and can comment on their properties since I've never used the pin-mic.  Given that the DPA is a cardioid and I will be on a noisy environment I would think it as the best choice but of course all is subjective and relative.

Again opinions welcome

Maybe a cardiod mic hidden at the hairline of the actress?

My application was not a prank, but trying to get elderly folks to talk to a counselor without the intrusion of the camera and an obvious microphone. A semi-noisy environment, outside park setting, but it worked quite well.  The counselor of course was able to sit fairly close to the folks and stay looking straight ahead.   

Hair was a possibility cause the actress is not particularly tall either so that way the mic would possibly have a better positioning towards the people as well. The problem with the DPA 4080 on this case is that its too big to hide on the hair (especially on this actress) and also needs a full on furry windshield cause its very sensitive to wind. 

Which mic did you use? Dont have any cardioid lapel mic on my arsenal so will need to see if there is anything else available on the rental house I'm getting the kit from.  I guess whatever I would get it will have to be quite resilient to wind and small since there isn't much hair there really...

• 7 years later...

Reviving this thread because I have a similar gig coming up in a few weeks. Long lens, stealth street interview sort of thing. Talent will be rigged with a cos11, and I need another mic facing outwards to pick up conversations with passers-by.

I bought a Rode Pin Mic and am considering also using a 4097 with a windkiller painted to match and sewn into the folds of the costume. Costume will be a robe type thing. Hairline mic is not an option, and handheld prop is likely not either. Wondering if I should be trying anything else (maybe a 4080 rather than 4097, but I don't own that already..). 

I am pushing for a prep day to try everything out, so hopefully I will be able to try a few things and report back on what worked best. Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

Does anybody know which wireless mics they use on Impratical Jokrs? They seem to get good audio from the subjects. Usually it's placed inside a coffe cup likely taped towards the top and the jokrs hold it towards the subject. I'm trying to figure out a solution for doing a similar setup as them.

This is all subjective, of course. But usually with hidden camera stuff, it’s kind of expected that the people being pranked would not sound perfect. 
As an example, a few years back, I was preparing for a hidden camera shoot, and talking to a buddy sound mixer who had done a lot of this type

stuff. He told me about one he had done where he was able to hide a CUB on the wall right next to where the subject(s) would be standing talking to a front desk/cashier. The mic was literally like a couple feet from their face, and sounded perfect. He was super happy to get great sound….. But apparently in post, they thought it sounded “too perfect “, which gave the impression that the person being pranked was mic’ed, and thus feeling like the whole thing was fake. Therefore Post ended up using the more distant sound from the pranksters’ lav….

21 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

This is all subjective, of course. But usually with hidden camera stuff, it’s kind of expected that the people being pranked would not sound perfect. 
As an example, a few years back, I was preparing for a hidden camera shoot, and talking to a buddy sound mixer who had done a lot of this type

stuff. He told me about one he had done where he was able to hide a CUB on the wall right next to where the subject(s) would be standing talking to a front desk/cashier. The mic was literally like a couple feet from their face, and sounded perfect. He was super happy to get great sound….. But apparently in post, they thought it sounded “too perfect “, which gave the impression that the person being pranked was mic’ed, and thus feeling like the whole thing was fake. Therefore Post ended up using the more distant sound from the pranksters’ lav….

What a story haha!  Great lesson in there.  I'm always very aware of who's on a lav on those shows, it's a dead giveaway.

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2014 at 7:00 PM, stevegrider said:

Is it feasible for your talent to use a prop that can be miced? I once did a hidden camera show and the talent was taking a "survey" and I was able to conceal a wireless lav in the clipboard. (It was one that had a compartment for documents underneath). She could point it at the talent with no suspicion. Does your talent have something they could hold that has that potential?

I have done that very same technique with a clipboard that has a storage area inside of it.  I drilled a hole in the end that is pointed outward, inserted a rubber gromet, and then stuck a lav in that hole with the transmitter inside the clipboard.  It's worked pretty well!