ACL-204 Use

Thomas Beach

I'm having a helluva difficult time trying to understand how to properly use the ACL-204 and would like to ask for some help.

I have an Alexa shoot coming up this weekend and would appreciate knowing what the menu settings in each of the menus should be ( GEN, SYNC, TC, SYS, ACN).  

All I need to do is continuously jam Time Code to the camera and would prefer that my 664 be the Master and the Alexa be the slave.  Not worried about the Genlock signal.

I would be very grateful for some help here as soon as someone can lend it.

Best,

Tom

Thanks, SB.  Will try that.

The other issue I've had is that the Alexa only prefers to be the slave when the SYNC signal is active with one of the numerous selections available.  When the SYNC signal is 'OFF' it then wants to act only as the master, instead jamming the ACL204 and not the other way around.  While I agree that the use of the ACL204 seems logical enough, the manual is horribly written.  

Best,

Tom

Thanks, Jason.  That's clearly the issue I've been having as well.  I am using a Sound Devices 5-LEMO > 5-LEMO coiled TC cable. What were you using?  And what did you find finally worked for you?  Also, I've only tried the B: TC/ACN LEMO output.  Would using the A: TC/TUNE output be a possible workaround?

Tom

The one I was using sounds the same as yours. TC wasn't crucial for that shoot I was on so I gave up quickly, so I never had a chance to test out a different cable. I do have a couple of other one way cables to try in the future...

Edited by JDirckze

Thanks Mike and Matt.  Greatly appreciated.  

So it sounds like the issue of the ACL204 taking jam from my 664 but being re-jammed by the Alexa will be overcome by choosing manual/once in the Jam TC sub menu.  But after jamming the ACL204 in manual/once, the Alexa will definitely take the jam from the 204, correct?  

Thanks

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mike and Matt.  Greatly appreciated.  

So it sounds like the issue of the ACL204 taking jam from my 664 but being re-jammed by the Alexa will be overcome by choosing manual/once in the Jam TC sub menu.  But after jamming the ACL204 in manual/once, the Alexa will definitely take the jam from the 204, correct?  

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

yes, set the ACL204 to manual/ once when working with a bidirectional cable and set the Alexa to regenerate. Only in this mode the cam will continously take the external time code and not jam once and continou counting up with the internal generator.

Btw. the ALEX does not own a sync input but syncs internally to the incoming tc rythm. (If set to regenerate mode)

Best

Timo

Hi Tom,

yes, set the ACL204 to manual/ once when working with a bidirectional cable and set the Alexa to regenerate. Only in this mode the cam will continously take the external time code and not jam once and continou counting up with the internal generator.

Btw. the ALEX does not own a sync input but syncs internally to the incoming tc rythm. (If set to regenerate mode)

Best

Timo

Off topic and maybe i am way off in general - does this issue have anything to do with the alexa issues with erx's mentioned in other threads? Is this possibly a similar fix? I realize tho the wrx and acl's are different beasts

Ken