Zaxcom MicPlexer 2

Jeff Wexler

post-1-0-38695300-1407202387_thumb.jpg

One thing I find confusing (or at the very least odd) is the assortment of output connectors on this unit. It states there are 2 sets of 4 sma outputs --- 4 to serve antenna A, 4 to serve antenna B. The connectors, however, are grouped as 3 connectors (silver) and 1 connector (gold) and they really don't look like they are even the same type connector. Documentation states:

"The MicPlexer 2 has 8 SMA connectors on the bottom of the unit. There are 4 SMA connectors that

distribute the signal for antenna 1 and 4 SMA connectors for antenna 2. There are no differences in the silver and gold connectors."

Why the "different" connectors (even though it says there is no difference)?

Just curious.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All 8 connectors are SMA connectors. Each of the 8 SMA connector has 6dB of gain. And yes the MicPlexer 2 can support  4 diversity receivers.

There is no difference in the performance between the gold and the silver connectors.The reason for the two different connectors are because to fit 8 connectors in the unit they had to be differently mounts. The gold connectors have the external nut fastening it to the chassis which makes it look larger than the other silver ones - which are fastened on the inside of the unit.

"The reason for the two different connectors are because to fit 8 connectors in the unit they had to be differently mounts. The gold connectors have the external nut fastening it to the chassis which makes it look larger than the other silver ones - which are fastened on the inside of the unit."

Well, that certainly explains it all...  still seems odd but it is what it is (and I'm sure there is no performance difference and since they are the same connectors there is no need make separate types of cables).

You could use splitters on a pair of outputs. It would probably work fine if you have a good antenna system, as the Micplexer has gain added to each output.

I believe you'd have about a 3dB loss on each of those split outputs, but as the outputs have 6dB gain each, you still have 3dB gain going to each antenna input -- along with the benefit of the bandpass filtering.

Someone correct me if the numbers are wrong.

Pick one of the following.....

It is:

1) Amazing

2) Shocking

3) Startling

4) Utterly predictable

That everyones favourite 'Ahhh that'll do' manufacturer releases a product that isn't even finished, normally the hardware is finished, but not the software, this is pushing it, even for them!

It is:

1) Amazing

2) Shocking

3) Startling

4) Utterly predictable

That everyones favourite 'Ahhh that'll do' manufacturer releases a product that isn't even finished, normally the hardware is finished, but not the software, this is pushing it, even for them!

I must have missed something.  What's unfinished about this unit?

One mans meat is another mans poison I suppose, looks cheap and more than a bit shoddy to me. I'm sure enough people will disagree with me for them to sell plenty.

No one has to disagree with you for the product to succeed --- it is a well designed unit that offers several much needed features that no other multi-coupler provides. As for it being "poison" for you...  well, so be it. You have not succeeded in poisoning this topic with your personal opinions about a product you have neither seen or used.

They couldn't even get all the connectors the same, it's already confusing people. If the outside looks that rough, imagine what the inside will be like, components sourced from wherever they can get them.

I still don't understand what is "unfinished" about the MicPlexer 2.

Anyone who is confused about how to fasten antenna cables to SMA connectors probably should avoid using this unit.

what are frequency ranges of this box?

http://zaxcom.com/products/micplexer-2/

...as it states on the web site:

"Filtration

Improve your wireless performance by removing unwanted RF from your work space, choose from seven pre-set frequency blocks (20 - 26) or create your own 35 MHz window in one of the two user-assignable positions."

...and...

"Frequency Tuning Range: 512-702 MHz (35 MHz band, user selectable)"

It is:

1) Amazing

2) Shocking

3) Startling

4) Utterly predictable

Don't like it, why comment?

There is a line from Thumper in Bambi, something about not saying nice things can't remember exactly....

Not always happen with Zaxcoms timeframe for certain feature updates but I can't live with that as the flexibility it offers me far outweighs any negative aspects.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk