Zaxcom MicPlexer 2

Jeff Wexler

Here's a question for those who know better then me...what happens if I want to use more then 4 receivers?  

That is to say: is there a way to utilize more then 4 wide-band Zaxcom receivers with the performance enhancements the MicPlexer2 provides?

e.

this is how I did it with the original micplexer.  not sure how one would do it with all amplified outputs of the micplexer2

post-1492-0-25271600-1407273114_thumb.jp

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are very proud of the inside as well as the outside. It is the inside that does this. When in a bad RF environment this can make all the difference.

Glenn

Thanks for publishing the curve, Glenn.  Are the curves for the original MicPlexer pretty much the same (except fixed frequencies, obviously)?

No one has to disagree with you for the product to succeed --- it is a well designed unit that offers several much needed features that no other multi-coupler provides. As for it being "poison" for you...  well, so be it. You have not succeeded in poisoning this topic with your personal opinions about a product you have neither seen or used.

I would miss the power distribution.  it is nice to flip a switch to power 3 qrx units. clearly,  the front end filter needed more space. 

I still don't fully understand why this is needed when the receivers themselves have front end filters. Isn't the big deal of the QRX200 that it has a fancy 35MHz wide moveable filter for each antenna input? (flux capacitor powered). A wide-band distro would make more sense in my mind as you would have more freedom to choose farther flung frequencies on receivers using the same RF distro.

I must be missing something..

Isn't it akin to using a CUT-1 on your Schoeps and LC60 at the mixer end at the same time? Sort of redundant? Steeper dB/octave result but is it necessary? 

Don't like it, why comment?

What is one of the things Senator keeps saying "you can please everyone on JWSound... never!"? Why is criticism not allowed anymore?

On EVERY thread where a manufacturer (or their surrogate) discusses, considers or introduces a new product, there will be criticism.

I don't want to only post when I like a product. These threads are far more interesting and often more informative when there is criticism.

And that Bambi quote is for people! Not for things or companies (no, companies are not people).

What is one of the things Senator keeps saying "you can please everyone on JWSound... never!"? Why is criticism not allowed anymore?

On EVERY thread where a manufacturer (or their surrogate) discusses, considers or introduces a new product, there will be criticism.

I don't want to only post when I like a product. These threads are far more interesting and often more informative when there is criticism.

And that Bambi quote is for people! Not for things or companies (no, companies are not people).

Criticism, by all means look at Rado posts on how to critique properly . There is nothing wrong with giving constructive criticism.

For people? No not really I would think it would apply to all aspects of life. If I don't like something I don't waste my energy being negative towards it.

The poison remark was just uncalled for.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Criticism, by all means look at Rado posts on how to critique properly . There is nothing wrong with giving constructive criticism.

For people? No not really I would think it would apply to all aspects of life. If I don't like something I don't waste my energy being negative towards it.

The poison remark was just uncalled for.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sure, the sound makes the music (does that work in English?). Maybe the words/style chosen was not ideal, same with the poison remark. In other threads this happens too, and no one seems to care.

But still, it seemed like posters here were criticising the fact that Jon was criticising. And that's not fair. Nobody suggested that he should rephrase his criticism. The fact that he criticised at all seemed to be the issue.

No, I still think that the Bambi/Thumper quote should be reserved for people.

I have quoted the same on occasion when a Newbie got shot down here in a rude way for asking a Newbie question. What is a frequent reply then? "If you can't handle a tough room, you're in the wrong job".

Sorry, btw I quoted you, Chris. Your reply seemed to fit best to my intended post, but I really meant to address everyone.

Sure, the sound makes the music (does that work in English?). Maybe the words/style chosen was not ideal, same with the poison remark. In other threads this happens too, and no one seems to care.

But still, it seemed like posters here were criticising the fact that Jon was criticising. And that's not fair. Nobody suggested that he should rephrase his criticism. The fact that he criticised at all seemed to be the issue.

No, I still think that the Bambi/Thumper quote should be reserved for people.

I have quoted the same on occasion when a Newbie got shot down here in a rude way for asking a Newbie question. What is a frequent reply then? "If you can't handle a tough room, you're in the wrong job".

Sorry, btw I quoted you, Chris. Your reply seemed to fit best to my intended post, but I really meant to address everyone.

So, is it fair then to criticize you for criticizing those who criticized the criticism?

Oh, the humanity!!

I still don't fully understand why this is needed when the receivers themselves have front end filters. Isn't the big deal of the QRX200 that it has a fancy 35MHz wide moveable filter for each antenna input? (flux capacitor powered). A wide-band distro would make more sense in my mind as you would have more freedom to choose farther flung frequencies on receivers using the same RF distro.

I must be missing something..

Isn't it akin to using a CUT-1 on your Schoeps and LC60 at the mixer end at the same time? Sort of redundant? Steeper dB/octave result but is it necessary? 

When a distro amp is used it effectively becomes the front end for any receiver connected to it. You can take the best receivers and ruin them by putting a bad wide band amp in front of them. If the distro amp overloads it can create intermodulation interference that a good receiver can not get rid of making it a bad receiver.

The Micplexer 2 is the best front end we can make. It has a .35dB noise figure, +37dB OIP3 (Intermodulation resistance for you home gamers) and the tunable filter (Flux Capacitor) . The micplexer 2 will be a worthy addition to any wireless receiver from any manufacturer .

And yes we use 2 different SMA connectors. The silver ones are PCB mount and the gold ones are cable mount. There is no difference in operation. 

I think the thing people will like best about this product is the RF overload LEDs. For the first time the sound mixer has a way to compare the radiated output from a wireless transmitter allowing for proper comparisons between transmitters and the ability to judge RF field strength on location. And if your not careful you might learn something. 

Glenn

Rado, your "all-in-one" Zaxcom Nomad rig is looking really good! Moving the antenna connections on the receivers is brilliant. I forgot what you were describing how you did the metal work, but I think Zaxcom should consider manufacturing this based on your design (licensed from you of course!).

Thanks Jeff,

My metal work is pretty basic. A drill, bolts and nuts.

I will be happy to work with Zaxcom and make the one unit device.

Love it!!!! Hope I can do this one day but I dont trust myself, ha. Might have to go to the Rado Factory!!! Always enjoy following your photos man.

One mans meat is another mans poison I suppose, looks cheap and more than a bit shoddy to me. I'm sure enough people will disagree with me for them to sell plenty.

Jon I feel like your confusing ideas here. Yes the toilet in a good Japanese restaurant should look as good as the food they serve... but that is all on the inside. Many places that taste amazing and don't even advertise/look good on the outside can be excellent restaurants on the inside. This is especially true with places meant for the locals. I'm a local to Zaxcom now and I'm excited to get this at some point because I know that although they try their best on design it's the inside that ultimately matters.