Cable calibration

Jeff Wexler

I wonder if all the usual suspects can do this vital calibration and certification for all my interconnect cables?

- from Transparent Cable

"Brian found an almost new pair of 1-meter Transparent Balanced Reference Interconnect listed on Audiogon at a great price. He jumped at the chance. 

When he hooked them up to his Krell system, though, they just didn't sound right. He was almost ready to send them back for a refund when his friend asked him if he had the cables calibrated for his system. 

'Calibrated? What?!' 

'Call Transparent, and tell them your serial number. They'll know what components were intended to be used with your cable.' "

post-1-0-31277400-1407335314_thumb.jpg

Lisa is calibrating a pair of Factory-Certified Pre-Owned Reference Balanced Interconnects for their new owner. Every Transparent interconnect and speaker cable from the Reference level up to OPUS MM2 is custom calibrated to match the electrical characteristics of the system components that it links.

http://transparentcable.com/special/

Did you get new directional arrows on them also?

The most cutting edge research has shown that printing anything on the jacket of a reference quality cable will impede the impedance in an unequal manner, exerting undue influence on the even flow of electrons within. Parallel research has also shown that stereo cables must be rotated between channels on a routine basis in order to maintain flux symmetry within the system.

Therefore, you should make careful note of signal flow direction when rotating the cables as per the Custom Chart Of Rotation included with each pair of Reference Quality Stereo Hyperconnects.

Should this chart become lost, or signal directions confused, both cables must be returned to the factory for full recalibration, retuning, and recharting. Failure to do so will result in the nagging feeling that you're not getting the full sonic superiority for which you purchased premium products, and are not experiencing the blessed piece of mind that you paid so dearly for.

Please note, premium cables used primarily for transmission of the spoken word (aka: dialog) must be calibrated differently than, and in a separate facility from, those conveying signals containing primarily soinc information created by conventional musical instruments. This specialty calibration will incur a modest surcharge -- payable in weekly installments with proper credit authorization.

Thank you, John, I'm really worried now that one of my cables I used on the last job might have been calibrated for music --- and I was recording dialog! I haven't heard from post so I guess it's okay. Just dodged the big bullet, right?

Let's just hope that they don't intercut those tracks within the same scene with ones recorded with dialog calibrated and tuned cables. The subtilities can be staggering.

Exacerbating this situation is the fact that some post facilities aren't wired entirely with fully tuned and calibrated Hyperconnects.

all the cables i make are calibrated using a lollypop stick, 2 elastic bands and an episode of whatever takes my fancy on love film - currently the mighty boosh.

i didnt realise i should have been charging at least 60 times more for this and will be conatacting everyone i have sold cables to to give the amended invoices.

Also of utmost importance: when ordering cables, be sure to include your GPS coordinates, as your system will be subject to varying EMF due to the Earth's magnetic field. However, the prepared audiophile will, of course, have constructed his home within a Faraday Cage. 

I understand for an extra $99, they can calibrate the cables by remote control. 

I have been told that this 3-foot AudioQuest "Diamond" HDMI cable will actually improve the content of movies watched through it:

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-1m-Braided-Cable/dp/B003CT08E4/ref=sr_1_2?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1407390624&sr=1-2&keywords=hdmi+cable

You gotta read the comments on this cable. Here's a few:

Don't get me wrong. This cable offers adequate performance for something in this price range, but if you want truly high end performance, you really need to be prepared to spend a little more for the better quality. There are a lot of excellent products available but for only $12,000 for a three foot cable, the naquadah enhanced p3x-888 with dylithium contacts provides a far better experience. See, the AudioQuest Diamond is limited by the copper conductors which, like all metal conductors, can only transport electrons at just below 186,000 m/sec. My p3x-888 cable actually creates an active wormhole at each end of the cable and the ones and zeroes are actually dematerialized and transferred instantly from one end to the other, where they are rematerialized. This means that data arrives a few picoseconds earlier and less ragged for its long journey. Your zeroes are rounder and your ones are sharper than any mere copper conductor could provide.

My house recently went into foreclosure and i needed something to cheer me up. I walked into the nearest best buy with the intention of just browsing and not purchasing anything. I was approached by a beautiful sales woman who said i looked very depressed and needed an HDMI cable in my life. She showed me the most expensive one they had. I explained to her my situation and she informed me there really was no point in paying my house since i was gonna lose it anyways. This made sense to me and i skipped my house payment and bought the cable.

As i waited at the bus stop i couldn't wait to tell all my friends. I found the nearest pay phone and called my friends collect. They were even more excited than me! The next day i was evicted from my house but was invited to stay over my friends for the weekend because they wanted to use the cable to watch sports games. "Wow the picture quality is simply amazing" said my friend. "You can stay here as long you want as long as we keep using this great cable of yours". I now have a permanent home without an expensive mortgage payment! I'm just thankful i found this cable! I don't know where i would be without it!

[snip]

I have been told that this 3-foot AudioQuest "Diamond" HDMI cable will actually improve the content of movies watched through it:

[snip]

I've watched several movies lately where simply leaving one end of the HDMI cable unplugged, would have improved the content.

LEF