My Favorite Movie Scene Is...

FMJ was pretty intimidating prior to going to boot camp, but after having gone through it, then watching the movie again, I realize that it was actually a comedy - well sort of a twisted Marine comedy.  It's true, part of the training is finding comedy in the most inordinary of places.  "What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke"?  Well... the answer actually is "yes".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So true RVD.

I can't find one of my favorite scenes on the youtube, but it is an opening sequence to Sam Peckinpah's film "The Getaway".... Opening sequences are a topic in and of themselves but also fit in here. This one is brilliant IMO. The everyday life behind bars condensed into a 10 minute credit opening of the film. It uses the staccato sounds of the prison cotton mill cross cut with the deadly routine of the hard time prisoners at a Texas prison to introduce Doc (Steve McQueen) and his problems that set up the story that follows. To me it is a master class in editing picture and sound in a poetic way to tell a larger story. Of course it would be nice if I had the clip, but don't take my word for it, see the film or at least the opening. It is without a doubt the best part of the film. In his prime, Peckinpah had tremendous opening sequences such as the Wild Bunch or Straw Dogs. 

CrewC

This scene always cracks me up when he finally hits him in the face.

When I first started boxing I would be in the gym punching the bag. This scene would pop in my head as I did my workout. At times I would hit myself in the chin (yes, sounds crazy) just so I can get use to the feeling. When I was done doing my thing I would look around to see everyone else looking at me. The look on their face was priceless. haha  It's amazing how films influence who we are. 

I watched Boogie Nights for the first time in a long while the other night.  Some truly memorable scenes in there.  Particularly the two seperate robbery attempts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgJKA_lCR2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGp-4NP76MM

The house in which Boogie Nights was filmed was down the street from where I grew up. One night when I was passing by I saw a ton of extras waiting outside. I had no clue what was being filmed so I decided to park my car and "blend in with the crowd". I walked into the makeup trailer pretending to be an extra so that they can fit me with a 70's costume. Since I was just in High School then and had never been on a set in my life I got too nervous and chickened out last minute. After the movie came out I kicked myself for not following through with it. Then, I probably would have had a better story to tell. =)

• 1 month later...

This one rocks

The sublime Sam Kelly as Edgar, the sound recordist: one of the nicest men I ever worked with: a Mike Leigh favourite, equally at home in high comedy and deepest tragedy, self-effacing, hardworking and just a delight to be in the same room with him. Sadly, Sam went to that great Green Room in the sky earlier this year. One of nature's true gentlemen.

John