Zaxcom Antenna Strap

glenn

So I had the crazy idea to make a metal antenna mount that could be installed on a bag strap or bag harness. The “Antenna strap” would work with either transmitters or receivers to get the RF out of the bag. It would improve the range of receivers and eliminate interference that is picked up by mixer/recorders from transmitters in the sound bag. It can be used on UHF as well as 2.4 gigs. Here are a few pictures not attached to a strap. The bracket will strain relief the cable and can be bent by hand to match the contour of a persons shoulder.  There are many holes on the bracket so it can be sewed onto the strap. The bracket has an SMA on the top to accept a screw on antenna.

We are thinking of making this as an accessory. Please let me know what you think. I do have some prototypes I can let go if people are interested.

Glenn

post-511-0-75378900-1407773719_thumb.jpg

post-511-0-23643400-1407773737_thumb.jpg

post-511-0-70520400-1407773755_thumb.jpg

As an idea I think it is great! Several people have devised their own sort of methods to get the antenna up out of the bag but this is a rather elegant and simple solution. As a product, for sale, I'm not so sure it is viable (unless it is really inexpensive). Either way, Glenn has put pout there for all to see a really good idea.

I would also add that I work out of a Kortwich bag with the waist belt option, so I wouldnt even have a harness to wear it on. However, i do think there is a market for such a product, just not for me. The biggest thing I would look into would be how to make the connection to the bag be as quick-release as possible, since I wouldn't want to add anything to my rig that would make it more difficult to remove it and it's weight from my body.

Several steps down the line, I would be curious if there was a way of incorporating a short-range wireless "hop" for antennas (where the output from the antennas was wirelessly hopped to the receivers or rf distro a short distance over Bluetooth or 2.4ghz, etc). Perhaps even some way to integrate networking, the way that RFvenue has, shortening the length of coax runs and switching to friendlier wireless and cat-5? This could be useful for car rigs, or in crowded spaces where running wires is just not feasible.

E.

An interesting idea, might they easily be dipoles?

Could another possibility be, like small radio sets that have a very lightweight MW telescopic antenna, have a version of this made to work for UHF?

Have the UHF antenna mounted on the end and a mini-curly cable run down inside perhaps?

It could have a flat plastic base to velcro vertically or even possibly horizontally to an inner or outer panel of a bag.

It could be very lightweight.

It could very easily be telescoped in and out as required.

It overcomes the less desirable element of having cables running on to the harness or strap which might have to be detached and re-attached every time the bag is put down.

There are no cables to get snagged or tangled outside the bag.

Could it be a dipole, would this be good?

I'd love to have something like this, ie. just pull the telescope out and push it in again.

post-2842-0-08921400-1407778351_thumb.jp

Would you want to disconnect your antennas, or maybe a quick way to pop them off the harness and onto the bag..... or, leave them on the bag and if you need the extra range pop them up onto shoulders. I like that it's also usable for 2.4GHz (Zaxnet). 

You can probably remove a RX antenna ok, but everything I know about transmitters is that you don't want to run them without a load (antenna). Glenn stated this could be used for TX or RX. 

Glenn: is this basically a piece of copper, or is the color deceiving me? 

I like where this is going as I am currently working on getting Zaxnet interference out of my Comtek 216 channel. I would probably weave the antenna through the front part of my Versaflex harness to keep things low profile.

+1 on a quick disconnect.

I've been doing something like this for some time now.. I use the little loops that Versafelx has on the sholder strap to anchor it down.. along with a right angle adapter to give strain relief.

I agree. It's great to see that this issue is getting some attention. As others have mentioned, the quick release issue is seems to be the main hurdle. When I've brainstormed this issue myself, I keep leaning towards some type of extendable/collapsable arm that could clamp on the bag itself. Very similar to a camera monitor arm. Something that could extend up about 16-18" out of the bag, but then quickly collapse/fold down when needed.

Anyhow, I'm open to whatever ends up working the best. Keep them ideas coming.

Pretty cool Glenn. I've tried a few different things over the past couple years for Zaxnet on Nomad. All have their pros and cons but this looks like a good possibility. What type and length is the extension cable you used on this?

One major problem I had with extension cables is that the connectors break off easily if the bag puts any stress on the sma jack on Nomad. Right angle adapter is probably helpful for that.

Interesting! A couple of thoughts on fit and finish:

- A leather/cloth/rubberized covering for the flexible metal base might be a good idea.

- The protruding whip should be a flexible steel cable with insulation type because the user will inevitably be getting poked by these.

- A cable arrangement where both RF cables pass down one side instead of both may be best. A single quick disconnect would also help.. Any small-ish connectors available that have double co-ax connections within?

- I would be concerned about the cable/connector loss, any comment?

- So this would be a dipole antenna? Or is the lower copper section just for mounting? Is antenna tuning (length of poles) a concern?

Looks interesting! I agree that getting the bag on and off quickly is the main challenge for this kind of antenna setup. Thanks Glenn!

PS.. I think for something like this to really be successful it needs to be very durable. I have had the same Versa-Flex harness for 7 years now because it's virtually indestructible. Any antenna system attached to it would have to be nearly as durable to be practical for me. I'm prone to taking the harness off, tossing it wherever, using it as a shoulder strap, cramming it into small bags and cases, etc..

I would not want to rely on SMA connectors that are in a position of taking a lot of flexing. With my FDP antenna that has been a problem and I have destroyed several RG316 cables before having to come up with better strain relief practices. SSMA, SMA, and thin co-ax cable has been a weak link for me.

jw: " Glenn has put pout there for all to see "

maybe after the jwsoundgroup.net redesign phase, Glenn will smile!

pin: " might they easily be dipoles? "

with the copper part serving as counterpoise, it is virtually a dipole...

I am always a big fan of KISS: and, among several easy mounting options, I could easily attach Velcro...

BNC-SMA adapters are readily available in both directions...

We used to do something similar in the old VHF days, shoulder or even a headphone mount.  It helped some but I have to say it was kind of a pain operationally.  I wouldn't want to run with such an antenna all the time, but if it makes a significant difference then it would be a great trick to have in one's bag for extreme situations.  Another thought is to go to a limp-wire antenna that hangs out of and below the bag--I often run Comtex TX that way.

philp