Interference issues with the SD633 & IFB200 comb

Bax

Explain.

!

" it's logical to at least consider that the problem could be inconsistent build quality of 3rd party (to Zax) pieces in the bag, or just as easily inconsistent build quality with the Zax gear. "

I don't think so... fuzzy logic ?? faulty logic..?

The quotes I was referring to are listed below. I agree, after reading them a second time, it is not as clear cut as I remember. I do apologize for saying that I thought Glenn made the statement in such a direct way.

The best solution is to use the antenna that is about one foot long to get the RF out of the bag. Our IFB transmission will show up RF problems in analog mixers. We have seen this more in the SD664 especially when touching the input trim knobs. We are looking at a remote antenna mounting kit like our filter antenna arrangement to help get the RF out of the bag and away from gear that is affected.

Glenn

This problem can be solved one of 2 ways.

1 Get the CL antenna away from the SD664. 
2 Call SD and explain the problem. See if they can come up with a modification to fix the problem of the SD664 receiving the Zaxnet signal through the trim knob of the SD664.

No sound mixer should act as an RF receiver.

Glenn

jason: " I believe the claim that this is a Sound Devices issue came from... "

I don't, and would like to see the quote, with adequate context!

Anyone who thinks RF getting into audio circuits is a new phenomenon, has never been an engineer at a radio station located near the transmitting tower.

Extensive grounding (typically, large, thick bars of copper) and massive amounts of shielding are usually necessary. Naturally, someone will be quick to point out the high wattage common to such installations, but just as quickly allow me to mention the inverse square law and the fact that often circuits in a bag are only inches apart (if not, touching).

What is the grounding scheme in your bag? What type of shielding do your cables have?

Not infrequently, solving RF issues requires a combination of measures, that when combined, improve the situation satisfactorily.

Troubleshooting is among the basics in our profession and it's distressing how many posts we see with "my thing doesn't work; what's wrong with my thing?" accompanied by little in the way of thorough troubleshooting steps that would help identify the problem.

Glenn outlined above an excellent set of measures to take in our ongoing quest to tame RF's insidious effects. The list should be saved and his recommendations should be implemented by anyone with RF issues.

Again, remember, RF solutions are quite often the result of a combination of measures and not just the application of a "magic bullet."

accompanied by little in the way of thorough troubleshooting steps that would help identify the problem.

You have no idea the number of bugs I've found, reported, tested, communicated with Glenn, Howy, and Eric over the past few years in hopes to allow these devices to operate as intended John, and I'm positive I'm not the only one that helped in this effort and deserve a little respect.

If we never brought up the similar experiences us trx900aa/sta users had with rf spray issues and all of our self troubleshooting ideas, it might not have ever driven Glenn to come up with a better design which lead to the CL (which the UHF side has been a huge improvement ever since).

The reality-based question to discovering and implementing solutions to how the new 2.4Ghz-based gear interacts is how much more money it will cost manufacturers to create resistant stuff, especially given that there exist "simple" solutions. 

Were every device's components so upgraded there may still be issues with the same simple solutions.

2.4 is its own particular beast that grows a new head every few days.

Feel as though a lot come to this amazing industry expecting to pick and choose gear from the Gear Buffet and whatever they pick up will work together as a nutritious meal without knowledge or thought. This is more than that and requires more skill than the Sunday brunch line demands.

So this thread seems to be driving towards this question (or at least it drives me there);

Why use 2.4 devices at all? I mean couldn't the Zaxcom IFB devices and others do the same in a different freq band?

The 2.4 band seems to result in more rf problems in the bag, the need to power the ifb100/200/QRX etc. separately, find special antenna solutions to get half-decent range and so on.

So why not use a much lower band?